Anvils are rife for trolling 01/01/2018 02:19 PM CST
Room bound forging equipment, namely anvils, are easily abused. You can clean off someone's anvil while they're working on their item, costing them a fortune if they're crafting with rare materials. It's a fairly accepted practice that players look for another room if there's someone already in a room, whether or not they're using the equipment in the room. This isn't always the case, though. I've definitely been in a room, had someone come in, ruin my project, and start their own. Why are anvils coded this way?

There are a static number of anvils in the world, and they're not locked down when in use. IMO, there needs to be some kind of timer between someone actually working on their item on the anvil and someone being able to clean it off. I mean where does it end? Could someone pull out their hammer and tongs and ruin my project by attempting to bang on it with 0 skill? Why allow for trolling? I would gladly pay for a dedicated forging room if it were available. Much like vaults, maybe, where I can pay the forging society for access and get a private room. Of course, it'd need to be instanced so folks couldn't just troll by standing a bunch of freshly chargen'd alts in all the rooms. If that's not possible, we need a LOT more anvils with the number of folks trying to craft at any given point, with similar mechanics to kick folks out who are just lollygagging and not actually using the facilities. The 6 in the crossing are almost constantly full, and I'm even seeing more folks starting to use the couple in the lava forge.

It's not just anvils, either. There's nothing stopping you from messing with folks using the gear press, or weaving stations, etc. We'd need to apply the same solution for anvils that we do to these other community crafting stations because let's face it -- folks are rude. The current implementation empowers folks to be rude. Can we please fix this?
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/02/2018 01:06 PM CST
>>General Crafting Trolling

Isn't all of this considered Mech Abuse so reporting it to a GM it should be punishable and recoverable?
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/04/2018 05:15 PM CST
Sounds like a band aid for a bullet wound. We need a real solution other than "report and move on"
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 09:52 AM CST
>>Sounds like a band aid for a bullet wound. We need a real solution other than "report and move on"

Do we? How often is this happening? This could very easily be a situation where the time it takes to code up a solution is much greater than the time investment for fixing the individual mech abuse incidents.

Again, I agree it's an issue and should be fixed, I'd just rather see Enchanting/Reagents get worked on more.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 11:51 AM CST
>>Do we? How often is this happening? This could very easily be a situation where the time it takes to code up a solution is much greater than the time investment for fixing the individual mech abuse incidents.

I think it's smart to make it so someone can't clear an anvil unless they're the one working on the project (hell, I'd set it so someone can't interact with the project at all, either), unless the project is unattended/uninteracted for X amount of time.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 12:03 PM CST

> I think it's smart to make it so someone can't clear an anvil unless they're the one working on the project

Sure, but then someone will start a project on all anvils.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 12:13 PM CST
>>Sure, but then someone will start a project on all anvils.

Sure, they could technically run from anvil to anvil working on projects so the "I'm using this anvil" timer doesn't wear out, but I'm more skeptical of that causing a long-term issue (like losing tyrium) than something like losing a rare/quest material project.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 12:14 PM CST
This already happens in Shard, someone feels obliged to leave 5 volume bronze ingots on the anvils. I run into it about 3-4 times week. Your suggestion would make forging there almost impossible given the stress (usage) on the current 4 anvils in the Shard society.

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 12:30 PM CST
>>This already happens in Shard, someone feels obliged to leave 5 volume bronze ingots on the anvils. I run into it about 3-4 times week. Your suggestion would make forging there almost impossible given the stress (usage) on the current 4 anvils in the Shard society.

That's why I also said it has to be interacted with every few minutes to count as "ownership".

Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 02:08 PM CST
>>We're talking a timer long enough for them to complete the crafting action, and start their next action. That long.

Yep. Something like this already [basically] exits for putting items on the ground, so items having timers associated with item ownership already exists (and item ownership determining if someone can do something with an item like pick it up) isn't exactly breaking entirely new ground.

Would it require some coding? Sure, but I'm also skeptical that a minor QoL improvement is going to throw off entire systems from being developed.

Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 02:09 PM CST
Looks like someone didn't read the actual suggestion before saying it was bad.

As I said: "there needs to be some kind of timer between someone actually working on their item on the anvil and someone being able to clean it off"

We're talking a timer long enough for them to complete the crafting action, and start their next action. That long. What's the longest it takes to do a crafting action, 60 seconds? How long does it take to clear an anvil? There's a 2 second "are you sure you want to do this" action, and then cleaning it takes another 2 seconds. I want to stop someone from cleaning the anvil while I'm working on it. It's not that hard.

So no, if implemented in a way that isn't completely dumb, this would not allow someone to have a project on every anvil. Besides, I also called for MORE ANVILS, or heaven forbid, dedicated crafting rooms for paid players. If I joined the game wanting to craft, and couldn't even find a place to craft, well, that's gonna turn me away from the game. The current implementation would not support a larger playerbase.

It never ceases to amaze me how this community will defend bad design decisions to the bitter end, especially when it comes to not actually reading but a few words of the initial post. As for delaying enchanting, it's been it's been "ready to release" for over a year now so I've got a hard time buying that argument that we should stop fixing things until enchanting's release. That's a really complex system, and comparatively this is a rudimentary fix.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 02:15 PM CST
>>It never ceases to amaze me how this community will defend bad design decisions to the bitter end, especially when it comes to not actually reading but a few words of the initial post.

No one is advocating that it isn't silly that you can clean other people's anvils while they're in the middle of using them.

>>I can't really buy the "oh god don't ask for this they'll push back enchanting" line because well it's been "ready to release" for over a year now with practically no word since then.

There's been plenty said about Enchanting in the last year.

>>That's a really complex system, and comparatively this is a rudimentary fix. It's laughable that you'd even compare the two.

This conversation is a great example of how we (the non-GM player base) doesn't really get to make that call. Sure it could be an easy fix or maybe it requires a full proposal, several hours of dev time to create a solution, more time to QC that solution, and then more time to apply it to every anvil in the game. We don't really know. You made a suggestion about something you see as a problem, I was pointing out that maybe the one guy they have working on Crafting might be better used not doing menial bug fixes that are a clear example of Mech Abuse. Have you reported people that have done this to you? Maybe talked to them and see if they're even aware they messed with you? Or taken any initiative to fix the problem other than demanding dev time be put directly towards it and more anvils be created on the forums?
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 02:30 PM CST
>>This conversation is a great example of how we (the non-GM player base) doesn't really get to make that call. Sure it could be an easy fix or maybe it requires a full proposal, several hours of dev time to create a solution, more time to QC that solution, and then more time to apply it to every anvil in the game. We don't really know.

Then why did you make the argument that coding it could take too long and it might interfere with coding other things, as opposed to addressing if you like or dislike the idea.

Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 03:34 PM CST
The problem with community tools is that they are just that... community tools. The SimuCoin forging wands can be locked so that only one person can use the summoned equipment. If you're worried about someone messing with your forging with super-rare materials, take precautions, and don't make your item in the Crossing Forging Society.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 03:46 PM CST
>>The problem with community tools is that they are just that... community tools. The SimuCoin forging wands can be locked so that only one person can use the summoned equipment. If you're worried about someone messing with your forging with super-rare materials, take precautions, and don't make your item in the Crossing Forging Society.

The vault system is a community system but that doesn't mean I can rummage through your stuff.

Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 05:02 PM CST
If you are worried about people abusing it by starting projects on multiple anvils make the timer 2 sided. +

You start a project the anvil is yours for two minutes, that timer resets on each crafting interaction.
Starting a project or any crafting interaction locks you out of using any other anvil for 5 minutes.

Nobody can touch your project unless you abandon it. You can't troll the rest of the crafting society. Same timers should apply to smelting.

~Kehlbins
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling ::NUDGE:: 01/05/2018 06:35 PM CST
Please tone down the snark at one another.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 09:02 PM CST
> @BRHODES

You're off the rails, and you need to return the strawmen and indignation back to the corn maze. I guarantee you that if you or someone is trolling now then they will continue to do so after many man hours were put in to test your plan. Why? Because it doesn't solve the core problem. It just solves the way that someone could create the problem.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 09:04 PM CST

> The vault system is a community system but that doesn't mean I can rummage through your stuff.

I think the holy grail here is to instance anvils. You have a single arch. Go arch, and it spawns a room only for you and your group. Either that or just sell the forging wands and be done with this drama. They have locking, and you can take them wherever you want.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/05/2018 10:15 PM CST
>I think the holy grail here is to instance anvils. You have a single arch. Go arch, and it spawns a room only for you and your group.

Must admit at first glance I kinda dismissed the OP offhand(don't work on rare mats you don't want to lose in the middle of a crime-infested metropolis), but on the surface this seems like a decent suggestion. No idea how resource intensive it would be, the dwarf that polices the vaults for loitering gives me pause as to why he exists (I assume it's from the early days in Crossing when people would 'line up'), and it would cut random positive stranger interaction from almost never to never, but I dig it.

>get coin
You try to get some mounds of platinum coins, but they're out of reach.
>wail
You begin an eerie, warbling wail of despair.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/21/2018 05:18 PM CST
I dragged 4 brand new characters away from anvils today who were standing there for hours. In full noob gear complete with divine charms, completely unresponsive, just waiting there because we all accept that the design is bad and don't start crafting when someone else is in the room.

All bickering aside, can we please please please just do something about this? Please? Arches like the vaults? Something? PLEASE.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/22/2018 01:58 PM CST
Looks like for $100 you can fix the problem via microtrans? It's a terrible solution, but it's almost certainly the only one that's going to get any support from a red-name. I've been asking for more forges in Ilithi and was told it would take to much time. And this was just reopening an existing forge in Shadow Clan, not new mechanics or anything.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Magma-red_wand_capped_with_a_fist-sized_steel_anvil

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/22/2018 08:53 PM CST
So what equipment do the forge wands being sold at Droughtman's generate? ingot cutter? crucible? anvil? all of it?

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/22/2018 11:44 PM CST
>wave wand
With a flick of the wrist, you whisk the wand about in front of you. A complete forge and smelting equipment pop into existence!

You also see a magma-red anvil, a slack tub filled with water, a magma-red grindstone, a glowing magma-red forge, a pile of fuel and a magma-red crucible.

You analyze every minute detail of the magma-red anvil and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it is in pristine condition (98-100%).
This solid slab of metal is used as the foundation for forging.
The workmanship is masterfully-crafted (12/12).
Assessing the anvil's durability, you determine it is highly protected against damage (13/18).
This tool appears to be tremendously effective (11/11) at increasing crafting speed.

You analyze every minute detail of the slack tub and smile knowingly to yourself.
A wooden tub containing water or brine that allows for quick cooling of forged metal.
The workmanship is of exceptional (10/12) quality.
Assessing the tub's durability, you determine it is extremely resistant to damage (15/18).
This tool appears to be extremely ineffective (3/11) at increasing crafting speed.

You analyze every minute detail of the magma-red grindstone and smile knowingly to yourself.
A circular stone that can be turned to speed it up, and then pushed with items to grind them.
Assessing the grindstone's durability, you determine it is rather reinforced against damage (11/18).
This tool appears to be tremendously effective (11/11) at increasing crafting speed.

You analyze every minute detail of the magma-red forge and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it is practically in mint condition (90-97%).
A stone hearth filled with glowing coals that is used to heat metal to extreme temperatures.
Assessing the forge's durability, you determine it is highly protected against damage (13/18).

You analyze every minute detail of the magma-red crucible and smile knowingly to yourself.
These crucibles hold materials for smelting and alchemy.
Assessing the crucible's durability, you determine it is extremely resistant to damage (15/18).

Strangely enough, the forge was summoned damaged and the slack tub analyzes exactly the same as the society tubs. I would think it would be master crafted just like the other tools.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/22/2018 11:51 PM CST
Addendum:

>focus wand
You sense a whorl of elemental magic rippling through the wand. Waving the wand would conjure some masterful quality crafting equipment that is extremely effective at increasing crafting speed into being for an extremely long time. Tapping the wand should un-conjure the equipment and pulling the wand should lock the equipment to only allow you to put items on it. Focusing upon the mana powering the device you sense reinforced lines incapable of fracture that are capable of regenerating very slowly.

It becomes very clear that any unfinished crafting items left on the equipment will be destroyed when the magic ends! If you leave the area for too long the equipment may no longer recognize the wand's magic, and you will be unable to unsummon or lock it.
Roundtime: 10 seconds.

My question on this is how long does the equipment last and what is the refresh time on the wand? I put the equipment away and can't resummon instantly.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 01/28/2018 01:48 PM CST
It's been a week now, and the same brand new characters are hanging out in the forge rooms. I guess we just won't see anything at all happen here and we just have to deal with a broken system. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, since MT items are better than anything you can forge.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 02/18/2018 07:35 PM CST

>>All bickering aside, can we please please please just do something about this? Please? Arches like the vaults? Something? PLEASE.<<

Bump. Can we just instance the forging locations with crucible/anvil inside? Seems like once the structure was in place, there would be no reason to develop any future forging rooms and place equipment since each would be spawned upon entry to the arch. Little work in the short term could both save some headache and eliminate work in the long term. Trying to forge something in Crossing with 20 people looping through there on the same exact script at any given point is a bit unbearable.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 02/19/2018 07:40 AM CST
An issue I'd see is that storage vaults can only hold one person at a time, say you have rosewood, platinum, blackwood & ironwood. My char can go into rose if no one else is on rose but if they are my character cant go into that arch.

I agree something should be done but to me it seems the code is so old & tangled that they may not be able too? Hopefully I'm wrong.

Maybe an option is to make it a room, like the work rooms in the societies are? Put a latch on them like the inn rooms, once latched no one from outside can enter until you log off which puts you back outside the room. Dont know how it will stop people from just running a sleep script in there but it might make it a bit quieter.
Re: Anvils are rife for trolling 02/20/2018 10:10 AM CST
>>I agree something should be done but to me it seems the code is so old & tangled that they may not be able too? Hopefully I'm wrong.

IIRC, for all intents and purposes Duskruin uses what would count as "instances" for the combat portion.