Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/14/2017 07:50 AM CST
So I picked Shaping as a Hobby at around 350 lessons. When I did so, I could mastercraft everything (within reason, not Azurelle or bloodwood) within that difficulty tier (7 - challenging)except for the fletching section (which took til 370). Now as I am at 400 lessons, I can mastercraft tier (8 - Complicated) patterns down to 45 workability but when i go to make Soot-stained arrows they come out as below average (Ordinal 3 on the quality chart).

It would seem that the bonus coming from a choice of a hobby/career doesn't apply to fletching, just curious if others have seen this too and if it was intended. If it was intended then I have no issue with working more to get there.

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/14/2017 12:02 PM CST
sorry for the double post,

I do currently have the exotic fletching technique
I get the 'Completely understand all aspects" message upon studying the Soot-stained pattern

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/15/2017 03:12 AM CST

<<I get the 'Completely understand all aspects" message upon studying the Soot-stained pattern>>

Ok with 370 skill, hobby, exotic fletching tech and the others (bowcraft basics and basic fletching). Soot stained arrows are considered complicated skill level with no techs, no hobby, no career, etc., which means basic 700 skill to make. Add in the techs and you lower that to about 500 skill to make or close to it. Now the career or hobby I think improves your ability to make things so it could lower it some. At this point I just have no way yet to figure out how much that really is. It means that somewhere between 370 skill to 500 skill is where you will eventually start to make those perfectly and its obvious you cant yet do them masterful at 370. If I had to make a guess I would say you will have to be closer to 450 to do those masterful and maybe closer to 500 than that and that is even if you completely understand all aspects, just means you know what to do, you just don't have the skill yet to actually do it. Since you happen to be in the perfect spot to figure this out please let us know when you reach that point you do it perfectly. It will give us some idea what to expect from a hobby. Then if we get lucky we might find out what a career provides boost wise as well.

Ranger Pfanston and his Soggy pup.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/15/2017 07:01 AM CST
It seems the quality level jumps one every 10 lessons, so i'll post an update every 10 lessons til I can mastercraft soot stained arrows

Engineering: 401
Career/Hobby: Hobby - Shaping
Shaping Techniques:
From the shaping crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Lumberjacking, Improved Logging, Arboreal Enlightenment, Bowcrafting Basics, Shortbow Shaping, Longbow Shaping, Composite Bow Shaping, Advanced Heavy Bowcraft, Advanced Light Bowcraft, Basic Fletching, Exotic Fletching, Bow Lamination, Advanced Bow Enhancement, Shaper Specialization, and Shaper Theory.

Current Tier of Hard work orders: 8 - Complicated
Current work order example: Battle Longbow
Current level of mastercraft: 40 workability (cypress)

>appr longb
A cypress battle longbow is a long bow type weapon.
A cypress battle longbow trains the bow skill.

The battle longbow is superbly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is very high for a bow of this type.
The longbow does not appear to have an adjustable draw strength.

You are certain that the battle longbow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the battle longbow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the battle longbow weighs exactly 38 stones.
You are certain that the battle longbow is worth exactly 3504 Lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>ana longb
You thoroughly analyze the battle longbow, revealing some of its secrets.
This appears to be a type of finished longbow that is masterfully-crafted.
The longbow is a complicated piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
About 8 pieces of lumber were used in this item's construction.

Current Soot Stained Arrow Quality:

Arrowheads:
>ana arrowh
You find yourself unable to determine the difficulty of this item.
You analyze every minute detail of the soot-streaked arrowheads and smile knowingly to yourself.
These appear to be a type of soot-streaked arrowheads that are masterfully-crafted.
You find yourself unable to determine the difficulty of this item.
The arrowheads are masterfully-crafted.
It was made by someone with much less skill than your own.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Finished Arrows:
R>appr arrows
You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
low slice damage
poor impact damage
fair fire damage with affinity for random attacks
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are appreciably susceptible to damage, and are in pristine condition.

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows weighs exactly 10 stones.
You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 2429 Lirums.
R>ana arrows
You thoroughly analyze the soot-stained arrows, revealing some of its secrets.
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are of below-average quality. (Quality Ordinal 3)
The arrows are a complicated piece to make.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Rightio, see you in 10 lessons

Rehlyn

Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/28/2017 05:22 AM CST
Engineering: 411
Shaping Techniques:
From the shaping crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Lumberjacking, Improved Logging, Arboreal Enlightenment, Bowcrafting Basics, Shortbow Shaping, Longbow Shaping, Composite Bow Shaping, Advanced Heavy Bowcraft, Advanced Light Bowcraft, Basic Fletching, Exotic Fletching, Bow Lamination, Advanced Bow Enhancement, Shaper Specialization, and Shaper Theory.

Current level of mastercraft: 40 workability

as noted below trying to mastercraft a 35 workability (sandalwood) longbow fails at last step:

>ana longb
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished longbow.
With all major carving work completed, the wood is ready for the application of stain.
From the progress so far, it looks like the longbow is masterfully-crafted.
R>apply stain to longb
You brush some stain on your longbow to finish it.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
Applying the final touches, you complete working on a sandalwood battle longbow.
R>put stain in pack
You put your stain in your leather pack.
>ana longb
This appears to be a type of finished longbow that is of outstanding quality.

Soot-Stained Arrows:
R>ana arrows
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are finely-crafted. (ordinal 8)
R>appr arrows
somewhat fair puncture damage
fair slice damage
somewhat fair impact damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are appreciably susceptible to damage, and are in pristine condition.

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 5383 Lirums.

See you in 10 lessons!

Rehlyn

Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/28/2017 07:12 AM CST

Good glue and stain makes a big difference. Next HE, stock up on the master-crafted glue and stain for the items that you're on the edge of MCing.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 02/28/2017 08:10 PM CST
You got me interested so I did a test.

Engineering 569
Only basic tech
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.

dismal (1/27) puncture damage
dismal (1/27) slice damage
dismal (1/27) impact damage
fair (5/27) fire damage with affinity for random attacks

With exotic tech

You scan the soot-stained arrows instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.

These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are of outstanding (11/12) quality.

somewhat fair (4/27) puncture damage
somewhat moderate (6/27) slice damage
somewhat fair (4/27) impact damage

I don't have a career or hobby for shaping. I use capped tools but regular glue.

Does anyhone have the stats on Master crafted soot-stained arrows?
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 03/01/2017 02:57 AM CST

I think the master ones are as follows:

fair (5/27) puncture damage
moderate (7/27) slice damage
fair (5/27) impact damage

You are very close to it now without career or hobby but having the two techs you got within one of it. Shows you how much good tools come in to play for making these. Anything to boost reflexes, will also help when you make these. Curious what quality were the arrowheads when you did this?

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 03/01/2017 03:10 AM CST

OK Rehlyn your at 411 with a hobby. Your arrow got to

R>appr arrows
fair slice damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 5383 Lirums.

Those are pretty close to masterful now, two steps below where masterful is Fair puncture, moderate slice, fair impact. Looks like the fire damage gets to max really early in the process. The arrows are now two steps from masterful. You might actually get there prior to the 450 mark I guessed at. Compared to the person who did them with 569 with no career or hobby but having the techs, you will get there first. The use of better than normal glue and stain would probably give him the masterful now and probably sooner than his 569. So its pretty certain the hobby is a huge boost over not having it. Normally with the techs i would guess I would not hit masterful before 500 skill (somewhere between 500-510 maybe) with no hobby or career in it. Also I suspect you can boost your ability to do these if you can boost reflexes as well.

Ranger Pfanston and his Soggy pup.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 03/01/2017 09:48 PM CST
I tried some soot-stained arrows again:

Reflex : 99 +21
Engineering 569 98.34% absorbing

You analyze every minute detail of the soot-streaked arrowheads and smile knowingly to yourself.
These appear to be a type of soot-streaked arrowheads that are masterfully-crafted (12/12)

I don't have any super glue but arrows don't need stain.

The arrows came out exactly the same as before with outstanding craftsmanship.

So it appears to me the hobby is going to be worth close to 100 ranks.
Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 03/10/2017 06:52 PM CST
Engineering: 421
Shaping Techniques:

Current level of mastercraft: 30 occasionally workability (Rosewood with wood quality over 80)
Rank that 35 workability was master-crafted: 415

This appears to be a type of finished longbow that is of outstanding quality.

>appr longb
A rosewood battle longbow is a long bow type weapon.
A rosewood battle longbow trains the bow skill.

The battle longbow is superbly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is decently balanced and is excellently suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is very high for a bow of this type.

You are certain that the battle longbow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the battle longbow weighs exactly 57 stones.
You are certain that the battle longbow is worth exactly 7592 Lirums.

Arrow Project:

ana arrows
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are of exceptional quality. (Ordinal 10)

>appr arrows
somewhat moderate slice damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 5974 Lirums.

Okay, see you again in 10 ranks

Rehlyn

Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 03/15/2017 05:16 PM CDT
Engineering: 425
Shaping Techniques:

Current level of mastercraft: 30 workability (Rosewood)
Rank that 30 workability was master-crafted: 423

R>
>appr longb
A rosewood battle longbow is a long bow type weapon.
A rosewood battle longbow trains the bow skill.

You are certain that the longbow is decently balanced and is excellently suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

You are certain that the battle longbow is quite guarded against damage, and is in pristine condition. (this longbow was Laminated)

You are certain that the battle longbow weighs exactly 57 stones.
You are certain that the battle longbow is worth exactly 7532 Dokoras.

Arrow Project:

>appr arrows
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 5625 Dokoras.
R>ana arrows
>
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are of outstanding quality. (Ordinal 11)
Roundtime: 7 sec

okay see you in 5 ranks

Rehlyn

Re: Career/Hobby choice does not seem to affect fletching 04/04/2017 05:02 PM CDT
Engineering: 443
Shaping Techniques:

Current level of mastercraft: 20 workability (Osage)
Rank that 20 workability was master-crafted: 439/443 (got intermittent master from 439+, reliably at 443)

>ana longbow

R>appr longbow
An osage battle longbow is a long bow type weapon.
An osage battle longbow trains the bow skill.

You are certain that the battle longbow is marginally vulnerable to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the battle longbow weighs exactly 53 stones.
You are certain that the battle longbow is worth exactly 7300 Lirums.

and the Soot-Streaked Arrow Project:

>ana arrows
These appear to be a type of animal part arrows that are of outstanding quality.

R>appr arrows
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the soot-stained arrows are worth exactly 6303 Lirums.

So, it seems I have more work to do on the arrows, i'll post again when anything changes.

Rehlyn