Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/01/2016 10:58 PM CDT
I have been having trouble creating master crafted Alpine Shortbows, and it seems that something is not right.

According to Expedia and the in game shaping book, these bows are:

Alpine Shortbow - Basic (5) - Requires short bow shaping
Saddle Bow - Basic (5) - Requires short bow shaping
Flight Shortbow - Basic (5) - Requires Advanced Heavy Bowcraft
forester's shortbow - Somewhat Challenging (6) - Requires Advanced Light Bowcraft
Longbow - Somewhat Challenging (6) - Requires Longbow Shaping
Skirmisher's Bow - Challenging (7) - Requires Longbow Shaping

My character's techs: Bowcrafting Basics, Shortbow Shaping, Longbow Shaping, Composite Bow Shaping, Bow Lamination, Advanced Bow Enhancement, and Wood Maintenance.

When I make bows from the same Ash Lumber (workability 70, shortbow affinity 85, longbow affinity 70), I get:
Ash Alpine Shortbow - outstanding quality ( x 4 attempts )
Ash Saddle Bow - masterfully-crafted ( x 5 attempts )
Ash Flight Shortbow - masterfully-crafted ( x 1 attempts)
Ash forester's shortbow - outstanding quality ( x 1 attempts)
Ash Longbow - masterfully-crafted ( x 1 attempts)
Ash Skirmisher's Bow - outstanding quality ( x 1 attempts)

Does anyone have any ideas why I can't master craft an alpine bow? It is almost like it is actually set to either tier 7 (requiring short bow shaping) or tier 6 (requiring light or heavy bow craft)
Re: Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/01/2016 11:19 PM CDT
<<According to Expedia

I giggled. ;)

<<Does anyone have any ideas why I can't master craft an alpine bow?

4-5 attempts for the alpine and saddle bows are a small sample size, perhaps you just got really unlucky with the rng gods?

I'm not sure this helps explain anything or is even a valid comparison, but with tinkering I have no problems creating alpine versions of stonebows compared to neighbouring versions in the book and it is right around that same break point for me where items lower in the book are all mastercraft and items higher are all outstanding.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/01/2016 11:21 PM CDT
>>Does anyone have any ideas why I can't master craft an alpine bow?

Wood quality all the same? Alternatively, see what step in the process is making it stop being masterful. My guess is that you end up having to use a non-masterful tool and the lack of being bonused nonstop during some of the random steps you have to take making things harder.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/01/2016 11:23 PM CDT
Oh, if you're doing this in one of the crafting workshops, double check to make sure you are using MY to specify the tool for all steps. I've derped up a couple of items due to forgetting to do this and ending up using the low quality tool in the room rather than my higher quality tool in hand.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/01/2016 11:39 PM CDT
>>> <<According to Expedia

Spellcheck ftl I guess .....

>>> Wood quality all the same?

I used the same stack of outstanding quality ash lumber for every bow I made, excepting the first four saddle bows.

>>> My guess is that you end up having to use a non-masterful tool and the lack of being bonused nonstop during some of the random steps you have to take making things harder.

I actually repaired my tools right before trying the alpine bows. I have the Proper Forging Tool Care tech, so that would have given me 2 hours without damaged tools. The bows took less than an hour. Unfortunately I am stick with poor quality clamps, but they are only used once during the process. I can try again and check the steps, but keep in mind I was able to master craft items that should have been much more difficult without trouble.

Data:
scrape/drawknife >> masterfully-crafted
carve/carving knife >> masterfully-crafted
shape/shaper >> masterfully-crafted
rub/rasp >> masterfully-crafted
push/clamp >> masterfully-crafted
assemble/stringr >> masterfully-crafted
apply/stain >> masterfully-crafted
stamp >> masterfully-crafted

Well, odd, now I managed to finish one.
Re: Alpine Shortbow Difficulty 09/04/2016 05:48 AM CDT

Yeah anything can actually cause that. From encumbrance to a tool going from pristine to not so pristine during the process. I've had that happen to me when clamps went from being really great to the next step I used em they needed repair. Sometimes when a tool does not need to be repaired the first use of it can put it into the now needs repair mode, and that could have been any of the tools. If the alpine one was the first one you started on it could have been caused by encumbrance affecting the outcome. All that lumber would slowly become less weight as you used it up making the bows. Ash is a great wood to use because of the 70 workability number. You can probably make masterful items one above where your skill is at using ash.

The only other thing is this - Starting with a lower quality raw wood will decrease the end lumber result, even with full techniques. If your quality of the ash lumber is 95-98 it can cause the results to be some outstanding some masterful. Its why I almost always look for the tech that boosts the quality of the materials being used. In this case its Shaper Specialization - Expertise in Shaper Specialization will bonus the quality of ingredients used in the crafting process. Then I check to see if there is one that handles the tools not at 100% top of the line. In this case that would be Shaper Theory - Shaper Theory assists crafters by providing an enhancement to their tool quality. Either of those techs and I bet every thing you did with ash would have been masterful.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.