Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 07:49 AM CDT
I have spent the last month or so doing a lot of lumberjacking and bow making, and one thing I have found to be lacking is what to do with spare wood after you have run low on a stack. I have more than once chucked a stack of 2-3 pieces of lumber because I know it will take me a good while to find more of that particular wood.

Here is a suggestion...open a lumberyard in the engineer's guild that would basically work something like this.

You can sell any extra lumber you have to the lumber yard for credits in the lumberyard...this lumber would then be placed on wood piles for purchase by other crafters.

you can purchase lumber stacks from the lumberyard with the credits and/or coins. The stacks for sale in the lumberyard would be placed on piles by quality (low, average, high) and pricing would be based on which stack you buy wood from and the type of wood.

Hobbies or Career in engineering would either give a discount for lumber purchase, or high quality wood would only be purchasable by someone with the career/hobby.

Example 1:
You have some leftover oak lumber of average quality.

>give lumber to clerk

You offer the clerk your oak lumber, he examines it closely and writes down a few calculations in his notes. He looks at you and says, this is average quality oak lumber. For 2 stacks of average oak lumber I can give you 103 kronar credits for use within the shop. To accept this amount, offer again within 10 seconds.

Example 2:
>look on average pile

On the average pile you see a stack of 9 oak lumber, 3 mangrove lumber, 2 ebony lumber and 15 balsa lumber.

>buy 5 oak lumber

The clerk comes over and looks over the stack of lumber you are requesting. He hesitates a moment as he appears to be doing calculations in his head. I can sell you 5 pieces of average quality oak lumber for 720 kronar. You currently have 500 kronar on credit with us, so you need 220 kronar to purchase the lumber. When you make a decision, please Buy again in order to finalize the sale.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 08:00 AM CDT
I like the idea of a crafting store or commodity trader, but I'm not sure why you're throwing away smaller stacks. Why not just combine the lumber into a larger stack, or deed the lumber to store it (deed registers) while you wait to get more of that type?
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 08:05 AM CDT

>>I like the idea of a crafting store or commodity trader, but I'm not sure why you're throwing away smaller stacks. Why not just combine the lumber into a larger stack, or deed the lumber to store it (deed registers) while you wait to get more of that type?

Well sometimes I do if I like the wood enough, but deeding one or two pieces of a wood I wont find again for a week is a waste of time/space. I have so many deeds these days I go crazy trying to sort through them all.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 09:24 AM CDT

Why not just store them in a vault or home (if premium or scoin)?

I toss all my stacks in my home personally. HOME RECALL gives you a list of what is there whenever you want. Won't show volume, but it just sits there until you want to use again.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 09:33 AM CDT

>>Why not just store them in a vault or home (if premium or scoin)?

not premium (currently) and vaults fill up quick. also even if I were premium I am never buying another house...my last house was repossessed when I left the realms for a couple of months...and all that in-game money I spent on it was just wasted.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 10:10 AM CDT
I'm hoping that the Trader commodity system gets revamped someday to manage materials as a whole.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 12:07 PM CDT
Are you familiar with deed registers? Mine's filled with wood.
Re: Lumber Yard 06/15/2016 12:18 PM CDT
>>>> also even if I were premium I am never buying another house...my last house was repossessed when I left the realms for a couple of months...and all that in-game money I spent on it was just wasted.

If you are talking about the interior decorations, those have all been stored safely and can be recovered. If you paid someone for a location or purchased exterior customizations, those have been lost.