Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 01:31 AM CST
Blunt, blunt as far as the eye can see.

It isn't unreasonable that young squires in training would practice using wooden swords, anyways.

But a Greatsword with a "blade" of Diamondwood, perhaps with a weighted core, "toughest" of the toughest to craft, the mere success of it at well-quality being a feat in and of itself. Masterful quality would undoubtedly have an impact rating of no lower than Overwhelming, if not higher.

... or, iunno, something like that.

(random thoughts that pass the mind at 1:30 am central, followed by spontaneous cooking)

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 07:12 AM CST
Wooden training/sparring swords do exist in DR, but they're terrible.

The 'tekkan' weapon is a steel version of a katanananana that is somewhat sword shaped, but the template was a 3-use only instruction (I think) that was auctioned a few years back.

In general, I like the idea, but in DR it would likely end up being terrible, because Kodius insists upon only weapons and armor which are realistic in earth-based physics. So a wooden sword would never have stats as good as a bladed one, or a true blunt weapon.
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 08:25 AM CST

>In general, I like the idea, but in DR it would likely end up being terrible, because Kodius insists upon only weapons and armor which are realistic in earth-based physics. So a wooden sword would never have stats as good as a bladed one, or a true blunt weapon.

Yeah but... diamondwood.

Seriously though, this is a fantasy setting.
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 09:41 AM CST
>>In general, I like the idea, but in DR it would likely end up being terrible, because Kodius insists upon only weapons and armor which are realistic in earth-based physics

I think you misread what Kodius was aiming for. "A blunt sword that hurts a lot" isn't against any kind of earth-based physics rule.

That said, if they existed they would probably be blunt weapons, not bladed weapons, just by the nature of what they are.

IMO, if people want to create "training" weapons for RP purposes, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to make low-physical stat swords.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 10:01 AM CST
I'd make a whole night of it for the wyvern trials.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 10:19 AM CST
They had these in the days of yore. It was either pre-web, or immediately thereafter, that blunt training swords were sold at a merchant as a way for characters to safely spar against one-another. This existed before the challenge system was developed. They were just HE weapons with incredibly poor stats, and their novelty wore off fast (especially after the aforementioned challenge system).
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 02:10 PM CST
I started out the game with one of those wooden broadsword training weapons. I still have it in my vault. Just couldn't part with it after all these years.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 02:24 PM CST

And just imagine what the Enchanting properties of it could be.. O.o

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 06:21 PM CST
Please, use a fire enchanted wooden sword.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Wooden Swords 02/22/2016 10:25 PM CST

Arguably powerful, probably needing constant repair...