Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 01:17 PM CST
Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble with my shaping lately. Haven't tried to make bows in a while, but everything I try to make lately comes out of "outstanding" quality, even though I have all of the bow-making techs and ~500 in engineering. Even relatively easy longbows made out of maple are coming out outstanding. My tools are in good repair and the materials are fine (though I have the tech to compensate for that too), so I'm at a loss what's going on. Anyone have any ideas of what I should try to debug? I can post more details as needed, please help! :)

Thanks,
Reithir
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 01:21 PM CST
I assume you've gone back over your steps to make sure you didn't miss any events? And you have any consumables that you need to use?

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 02:04 PM CST
Yes, didn't miss any calls to rasp the bow, followed all the steps as usual; only consumables involved in longbows are the string and stain at the end, I believe both are still storebought and that's the only way to go right?
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 02:32 PM CST

Did you make sure to use your tools and not the ones in the room? And did you make sure they are repaired?
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 02:50 PM CST
Yep, using all my tools (and crafted some of these anomalous bows outside the crafting hall to be sure) and they're all in good repair. I used to be able to make any number of mastercrafted bows out of maple not that long ago, I am totally at a loss what's going on now
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 02:53 PM CST
Are you doing it manually or with script?

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 03:26 PM CST
I have done it both, in addition to running the script and carefully watching what it does at each step, and it always does what I would do (does things in the correct order, rasps when it needs to, etc). Is there something to running the script that I'm missing? But I have done it manually all the way and it has the same problem. I've also tried it with the storebought maple (well-crafted) and my own harvested lumber.
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 03:31 PM CST
Weird. I will try making one when I get home. any particular pattern of bow?
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 03:33 PM CST
Thanks, appreciate it. Try it out with the battle longbow, that should be a good one to test. It really should be pretty easy to make out of maple with 500 engineering and all the bow techs, right? But it comes out as outstanding for me. And I HAVE made it perfectly before, just a few weeks ago.
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 03:52 PM CST
When you study your book... it does the 'you understand perfectly blah blah' message? you can also analyze after the first carve... it won't usually get better beyond whatever it starts as. You might just be at the edge of being able to make them masterfully.
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 04:13 PM CST
Here's my message for studying the pattern:
"You scan the battle longbow instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 6 sec."

It's true though, a battle longbow is an 8 (complicated), which the rough guide on epedia says takes ~500 ranks with the relevant weapon making tech, which I have, and I also have the other shaping techs (bonus to tools, material, etc), so it shouldn't be too hard. And I KNOW I've made these bows before, and again, just using maple, which is pretty easy to work, it's not like I'm using bloodwood. :)
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 06:59 PM CST
Are you making them outside when it's snowing? Could that be differnece?

"The only good argument for not having a Democracy is to listen to the average voter speak." - Winston Churchill
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/08/2015 07:42 PM CST
Hmm I didn't consider the weather, does that really impact crafting? Glad to check it out later though, thanks!
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/09/2015 05:50 AM CST
>>Hmm I didn't consider the weather, does that really impact crafting?

As far as I know it doesn't.
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/09/2015 03:56 PM CST

Wounds and burden can affect it.

What you will have to do is analyze the bow after EACH AND EVERY step to see which step makes it go from master to outstanding.

Most likely it is going to be the first step where a draw knife is used, but it might be happening at any step. You can at least narrow it down by analyzing after each step though.
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/09/2015 06:00 PM CST
Thanks for the input everyone. After debugging as several people suggested and checking each step, I have found my problem! The initial steps all created a masterfully-crafted product, until I came to the clamps step, which I have neglected to repair this whole time. It wasn't on my carpenter's belt so it didn't even occur to me. Needless to say it's battered and half destroyed and it is responsible for downgrading my products to outstanding. Thank you all for jolting me out of my rut and helping me figure this out. Sorry the answer isn't more exciting but at least it's simple. :)

Reithir
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/09/2015 07:00 PM CST

Totally didnt get a chance to check last night. Sorry. But glad you figured it out. Usually any degrade in quality comes from tools :(
Re: Trouble with bow shaping 11/12/2015 02:14 PM CST

>>Wounds and burden can affect it.

I've never seen either of these to be true in any fashion. I always have bleeders when crafting and my empath rotates healing people/crafting and normally has various wounds and normally always insane burden. This is always crafting things even right at the edge of my skill with or without the techs for it.

Though I can only say this for forging/shaping.