Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 02:24 AM CDT
Howdy folks. I've added a few new things to test.

First is bow/arrow damage. Bow damage works just like weapon damage. The more you use it, the more damaged it will get. I still need to figure out where/how repairing will occur and add that in the next few days.

Arrows have a chance to break on hit/miss. This chance is low, about 1 in 1000 for normal quality arrows. The chance goes down very low for higher durability arrows, and increases greatly for low durability arrows. Note - I can definitely see us having some rare godlike arrows that only last for 1 or 2 shots in the future :P

I've also added the ability to forage up sticks, limbs and branches. Generic ones. FORAGE STICK, FORAGE LIMB, FORAGE BRANCH.

The system will create a random wood type and give it a rather low quality, as would be expected of most deadwood. This may get expanded upon a bit once I have some more time. Engineering society tools to increase wood quality, perhaps. Rare chance for rare wood types or higher qualities. Not sure yet.

But the fact is that foraging is too quick/easy, so I never want it to overcome lumberjacking as a primary material source.

Please let me know how this is working for you.

On a side note, could someone please double-check that WM familiar carving and Cleric bead carving work still? WM stuff on the special wood they use. Cleric beads should be carvable from the new raw wood types using the old mechanics.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 04:47 AM CDT

If I try to COLLECT stick/branch/limb it seems to behave a bit weird. I get messaging but no round time and nothing is found.
Cheers,
Arv
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 08:18 AM CDT

Initial testing indicates it is not possible to use the generic foraged stick/limb/branch to create a block for prayer bead shaping. For some reason I am also now unable to find anything when attempting to forage for a specific wood piece, example: forage pine stick.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 08:37 AM CDT

Generic foraged woods are also apparently no longer flammable either.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 02:22 PM CDT
Branches, sticks and limbs are ONLY generic now. You cannot specify a specific one to forage. If you want/need something specific, you may have to go out and lumberjack for it.

That being said, they should work for bead carving. I'll double-check might have broken there.

Good catch on flammability. I'll poke at it tonight.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 03:19 PM CDT

When I tested this morning, none of the generic foraged would accept blessing after being sprinkled with holy water (or oil) which prevents it from being carve-able into a block.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 10:33 PM CDT
I believe I have fixed the problem. It is now possible to sprinkle holy water on sticks and limbs, then bless them, and carve them with a knife.

Burning should also be working now. What a cluster mess of a system grrrrrrrrr....

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/03/2015 11:47 PM CDT

point dragon at stick
That doesn't look very flammable.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 12:35 PM CDT
>> Engineering society tools to increase wood quality, perhaps

It would be nice if Outdoorsmanship + Engineering gave a slight bonus. That 1350 ranks of Outdoorsmanship has to count for something, right? Being able to bonus the wood up to a cap of 65-70% (same as what you can buy at the Society) would make this a viable way to get wood for work orders. You still have the extra step of converting it from raw wood to lumber, so it is still harder than just buying from the society. I would also be perfectly fine with foraging -never- being able to get rare wood if we can get a little bit higher quality with skill. If I'm going to be making high-end/capped/on-the-verge-of-making items I'm going to go chop down a tree. Since lumber is so heavy it cannot be carried around like cloth or bone and is required to be deeded with a trip to a society to pick it up. It is not uncommon for me to have 100+ deeded bone/cloth items that I've made in the wild over a few days waiting to be turned in. I know you're working on getting more societies out there, though playing a Ranger (can't stay in town long) + often being in cities without societies makes training engineering through shaping prohibitive.

The Shard Engineering Society will help, my characters in particular, a lot - super stoked for that. ;]

I know I can still train engineering through bone carving, though when this is released I would prefer to gain prestige through shaping and not carving.

- Player of Saracus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elanthiprofiles - http://elanthiprofiles.com - Show off your numbers!
Outlander - http://outlanderapp.com - Mac game client.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 02:13 PM CDT
Doesn't that 1350 outdoorsmanship find its way into your lumberjacking?
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 02:17 PM CDT
Just curious why Bead carving isn't included in the Shaping? I can't imagine it falling under any other category.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 02:21 PM CDT
>>Just curious why Bead carving isn't included in the Shaping? I can't imagine it falling under any other category.

Same reason that hunter's bows aren't included, too. He's going to do all the guild crafts together once everything is out.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 08:17 PM CDT
>> Doesn't that 1350 outdoorsmanship find its way into your lumberjacking?

Yes, and foraging is included in Outdoorsmanship too. At 50% quality it would be very difficult to use anything you forage for work orders, which is what I would like to see enabled. If you don't care about work orders but just training then this probably isn't an issue for you. I'm okay with 50% being the base, with the ability to find higher quality (capped at store-quality 70 or maybe lower at 60) based on skill. Maybe even a technique that helped raise the quality when converted to lumber (I think there is something like this with smelting)?

With a slightly higher cap on foraged quality I think that would still make Lumberjacking the best way to get wood for making non-trival and best-of-class items while enabling use in work orders. With what wood you find already being random and the need to convert the raw wood to lumber, you already have a larger time investment than just buying lumber from the society. What I'm suggesting enables being able to more easily create work order items in places with no Engineering Societies, such as Hib, Boar Clan, Lang, etc., and it doesn't require to to find a Forge in a City just to tap a deed (I'm looking at you stone-carving).

I really want to use this feature and I understand why it would need to be lower quality. I'm trying to think of ways that don't hinder Lumberjacking but reward players that put time into the skills that Lumberjacking and Shaping use.

- Player of Saracus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 08:28 PM CDT
It will be someday. I just don't want to delay Shaping for another year to fit in every little thing....

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/04/2015 10:20 PM CDT
>> It will be someday. I just don't want to delay Shaping for another year to fit in every little thing....

Completely understood. I appreciate your candor.

- Player of Saracus

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/05/2015 01:05 AM CDT
Ok the Dragon Lighters should be fixed in Test. Good grief Burning code is horrible ::: ugh :::

I've added table saws to the Engineering Society work rooms to speed up creating lumber from wood parts.

Also added communal Shaping tools to each room. These are room-based tools that never take damage... intended to help poor players and encourages gathering in the society hall for working on projects.

Please test out the tools if you can. Want to make sure they are all functioning correctly :) Then I'll add similar tools for carving. Need to think about how to best handle outfitting/alchemy.

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 05:05 AM CDT
>>Yes, and foraging is included in Outdoorsmanship too. At 50% quality it would be very difficult to use anything you forage for work orders, which is what I would like to see enabled.

I thought the entire point was that people should be using lumberjacking, not foraging, and foraging is more for a "quick and dirty" way to get something for a project you don't care about. Like "I am in the middle of hunting and want to take five minutes to make some new arrows since mine just broke, so I'll just use any stick near me and be cool with having a quality loss because I need arrows that badly."

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 05:36 AM CDT
Or "I'm hunting in the dark and need a darn fire so I can see".
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 02:26 PM CDT
>> I thought the entire point was that people should be using lumberjacking

I agree, for items that you want to keep and be high quality. For throw-away items for work orders though? I have never mined or harvested bones or skins for the sole purpose of using the material for work orders. If you are a new player starting out this is a viable option. If you have a few plats though, the time investment, when you can just purchase items from the society and still make a profit, isn't worth it. You can purchase 70% quality wood (10 pieces) from the society, all day every day with zero roundtime. How is that any different than spending several minutes (for 3 pieces) foraging and using your skill to make it into 70% lumber? There is a big time investment to even come close to what you can just buy outright from the society. This seems perfectly fine to me and doesn't take away from either of those options - lumberjacking (high quality) or buying from the society (70% quality, cheap, always available). This is a quality of life improvement for characters who like to NOT be forced into a city all the time to practice a skill that can be practiced anywhere.

Example time investment:
1. forage for random limbs until you find one you can use based on your skill range: 0.5-5 minutes (pray to the RNG gods)
2. convert to lumber: ~2 minutes
3. repeat 1-2 3 times
4. end up with 9 pieces of potentially non-stacking lumber

If you can do all of that with the minimal amount of RT 3 times in a row (unlikely), you're looking at 7-10 minutes to gather 9 pieces of lumber, which is less than one stack of lumber you can just buy from the society. Hopefully the work-order item you are targeting only takes 3 pieces, otherwise this is even more difficult. I can travel from Boar Clan to Haven in less time than that by foot, bypassing 2 societies, and buy a backpack full of 70% stacking wood.

I could see a few reasons why not to do this, though Kodius seemed to be potentially okay with the idea, just not wanting to spend a week or three trying to get something like this working (since I can see that it could be complicated to do).

1. We want lumberjacking to be essentially the sole source of player-garnered wood
2. We want players to gather at societies
3. It is technically challenging based on the current systems

Anyway, I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon (if ever?), though it would be nice to have and be a good nod to the old system when foraging was the only way to get it.

- Player of Saracus

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 08:58 PM CDT
>>This is a quality of life improvement for characters who like to NOT be forced into a city all the time to practice a skill that can be practiced anywhere.

But you don't need to do work orders to practice a skill. You can just use the random foraged junk wood and have that be that. I think being able to forage wood just to train a skill on the go is great, and I think it would be cool to have foraged rocks do similar for carving, but I don't believe they should be of a quality that makes them viable for work orders.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 09:05 PM CDT
>> I don't believe they should be of a quality that makes them viable for work orders

The whole purpose of both of my posts were to allow exactly that. You are welcome to disagree.

I am honestly curious, do you also think the material for sale in the societies should be removed for work orders since that is even easier to get than foraging for it?

- Player of Saracus

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/06/2015 10:15 PM CDT
>> Please test out the tools if you can. Want to make sure they are all functioning correctly :)

Please excuse me if this is obvious, though how do you use the tools?

You scan the belt buckle instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R> stow book

You put your book in your zaulguum-skin backpack.
> scrape lumber with draw
You must be holding the communal drawknife to do that.
> get draw
That can't be picked up.
> scrape lumber with draw on hook
You need to be holding a hide scraper tool to do that.

The rooms in the Crossing society also seem to be a bit messed up. Upon first entering the room you do not see the room title. When you do a LOOK you see the full room info multiple times.

- Player of Saracus

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/07/2015 01:08 AM CDT
>>The whole purpose of both of my posts were to allow exactly that. You are welcome to disagree.

Sounds good!

>>I am honestly curious, do you also think the material for sale in the societies should be removed for work orders since that is even easier to get than foraging for it?

I think if/when the commodities market is repurposed in order to allow players to sell materials there which other players can then buy, it's reasonable to see if societies themselves should still sell materials.

As it stands right now, the materials sold seem fine to me. I disagree with the idea that there should be a version of materials that are absolutely both cost and risk free that can be used for work orders. The only exception being herbs for alchemy, because I'd rather see the system up and running without having to wait for another gathering system to be released, and the catalysts are the main source of any financial gain in that crafting system right now anyway.

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/07/2015 04:07 AM CDT
>> I disagree with the idea that there should be a version of materials that are absolutely both cost and risk free that can be used for work orders.

The funny part here is that I agree with you, and what I'm asking for is "please give me an option that is worse than just purchasing from the society". Are you familiar with the adage - "Time is money"?

At 150th circle, I can spend 30 seconds running to the society to purchase 10 pieces of maple lumber (1 gold).
At 150th circle, I can spend 5 minutes in goblins and earn enough money to purchase 10 pieces of maple lumber (1 gold).
At 150th circle, I can spend 10 minutes foraging for 3 specific different type of wood limbs into 9 pieces of lumber (0 gold).
At 150th circle, I can spend 10 minutes in Xala'shar and earn 3 plat (give or take), enough for 300 pieces of maple lumber.

You do not think the extra time investment of foraging limbs that turn into non-stackable lumber and less material than can be purchased from the society is sufficient?

With the Xala'shar option, I can walk away with my 10 pieces of lumber, only taking 30 seconds to run into town, plus several extra plat.
With the foraging option, I walk away with 3 separate pieces of lumber, plus extra time gaining zero experience or coins.

Any player looking for the most bang for their buck would never use the foraging option ... ever. Its cheaper and more time efficient to just buy it from the society.

- Player of Saracus

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 06/07/2015 09:33 AM CDT
>>The funny part here is that I agree with you, and what I'm asking for is "please give me an option that is worse than just purchasing from the society".

Part of what you're asking for is "Being able to bonus the wood up to a cap of 65-70% (same as what you can buy at the Society) would make this a viable way to get wood for work orders."

I disagree with the part where it's ever a viable option for work orders. You don't need to do work orders to train the skill. I'd rather see getting wood for work orders remain the realm of either buying it in the society shop or lumberjacking.

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 08/26/2015 02:46 PM CDT

Honestly, there are posts all over and I don't want to create another, but I was torn on resurrecting an old thread. I settled for old thread. Cleric carving beads...As a low level cleric I can't carve all the woods, and it takes quite some time to find pine. Lumberjacked wood, should I get a stick, can't be blessed like a foraged limb or stick. Shaping beads can not be put onto prayer chains to meditate on. Does anyone have suggestions other than the obvious of get more ranks? I'm working mech and engineering.

Colbie
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 08/26/2015 03:14 PM CDT
>> Honestly, there are posts all over and I don't want to create another, but I was torn on resurrecting an old thread. I settled for old thread. Cleric carving beads...As a low level cleric I can't carve all the woods, and it takes quite some time to find pine. Lumberjacked wood, should I get a stick, can't be blessed like a foraged limb or stick. Shaping beads can not be put onto prayer chains to meditate on. Does anyone have suggestions other than the obvious of get more ranks? I'm working mech and engineering.

Have you tried forage? It produces a random wood (with low quality). This could help you find pine more easily.

Shaped beads cannot currently be put on prayer beads since the last update. Kodius said he was working on this.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 08/26/2015 03:37 PM CDT

I've tried forage, but can't ever seem to find pine, and I've filled rooms with sticks trying. All well. I'll just keep working mech.
Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 08/27/2015 09:32 PM CDT
Cleric bead carving is still on my radar. I've just had RL things getting in the way.

Re: Bunch More Shaping Stuff to Test 08/29/2015 10:29 AM CDT

Thanks, Kodius. We appreciate your work!