Language System? 05/05/2011 01:36 AM CDT
Is someone tinkering with a language system? One that gives characters languages?

Could we please get a graduated fix? Race language gets priority, common gets secondary priority, Guild tertiery.

I've currently got 3 on my necro, and not one is racial, though I think Haakish is the necro language?

<.yaw taht He went>

This post has no effect on your game play, it is not an Official post.
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 02:00 AM CDT
<<Could we please get a graduated fix? Race language gets priority, common gets secondary priority, Guild tertiery.>>

What? I didn't follow that train wreck of a thought at all.

<<I've currently got 3 on my necro, and not one is racial, though I think Haakish is the necro language?>>

That sounds like a bug or maybe something to do with that bard enchante aura of tongues. Haakish is the dwarven/gor'tog language if I recall correctly. Necromancers don't have their own language.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 02:14 AM CDT
Good for you.

If a guild "has a language" its the language of the first people who built that guild. This is not uncommon.

When "learning" a language, you usually learn the language at home, your own race generally, then the one at school, common, then your guilds language(tools of the trade-includes lingo and defitions of and for the guild.)

A graduated Fix would make the priorities back in place.

Yes. it might be a bug. This is why I asked specificially if someone was playing with a language system!!!!!

<.yaw taht He went>

Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 02:14 AM CDT
dwarves speak haakish. togs speak toggish.

necros don't have their own language. they speak their racial language & common like everyone else.

Thieves & rangers <to an extent> have sign.

Some Bards have the enchante aura of tongues which allows them to understand other languages, but not speak them.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 02:20 AM CDT
Bards also have signal whistles that are similar to Ranger signs, but far less intuitive. They're also very clunky to use.

That said, none of the guild communication abilities have much to do with the language planet that Shnurui is on.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 02:36 AM CDT
<<If a guild "has a language" its the language of the first people who built that guild. This is not uncommon.>>

They do not and I know of no guild that was started by a single race exclusively. Guilds are such a broad term that they encompass several different philosophies and paradigms. The moon mages are a prime example of this.

<<When "learning" a language, you usually learn the language at home, your own race generally, then the one at school, common, then your guilds language(tools of the trade-includes lingo and defitions of and for the guild.)>>

Guild language is Common, so BAM done.

<<A graduated Fix would make the priorities back in place.>>

Your use of "graduated," "fix" and "priorities" make no sense here still.

<<Yes. it might be a bug. This is why I asked specificially if someone was playing with a language system!!!!!>>

That would be more easily addressed if you copy and pasted the screen output of the language command.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 03:36 AM CDT
>Your use of "graduated," "fix" and "priorities" make no sense here still.

Your use of the word here makes no sense. Knock it off.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=12&topic=17

Issue Solved and responded by a GM. Thank you.

Graduated ==1) Levels or ranges of success. 2) Completed training or learning.

Fix == 1) to repair to operational standards 2) to have your pets spayed or neutered

priorities 1) A set of rules deciding the importance of an item. 2) <personal> the importance of ones actions

Graduated Fix 1) to repair in stages. 2) a repair that creates stages of operational standards.

THERE ARE NO OTHER WORDS THAT MAKE SENSE HERE.

<.yaw taht He went>

Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 07:19 AM CDT
I don't disagree with the premise of opening up other languages to characters, it's just a question of how to do it. Should it be scholarship based? A feat purchased with TDPs? A little of both?

I also don't entirely disagree with the observation that some Guilds are more dominated by one or just a few races. Elves and Humans tend to top out for most Guilds but a few have really high percentages of Elotheans but others almost none at all. But I can't imagine a fair way to justify using these differences for how someone can learn other languages.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 09:14 AM CDT
>>THERE ARE NO WORDS THAT MAKE SENSE HERE.

Fixed it for you.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 10:48 AM CDT
Shnurui.

You need to stop using your dictionary and/or thesaurus. While the individual words you use may have a given meaning, the way you string them together is meaningless. Definition is not independent of grammar and context. This is what makes your posts confusing as hell to understand.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 10:53 AM CDT
>>Shnurui: Could we please get a graduated fix? Race language gets priority, common gets secondary priority, Guild tertiery.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Are you suggesting that characters shouldn't be able to speak Common as well as their racial languages or that they should default to their racial languages instead of Common? Either way, it would only confuse new players.

The game's default language is Common. The racial languages are there to add a little flavor for role-players.

If you want to default to your racial language, type LANGUAGE [RACIAL LANGUAGE], and be done with it.

>>Shnurui: I've currently got 3 on my necro, and not one is racial, though I think Haakish is the necro language?

Haakish is the language of Dwarves. (You don't gain access to other spoken languages by joining a guild.) Some players have reported that their non-Dwarf characters are able to speak Haakish. This is a bug.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 11:32 AM CDT
Let's tone down the personal attacks in this thread before She noticed shall we?

Thanks!

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 11:55 AM CDT

SHE is here.

Gang,

If you are suddenly finding you know more then Common and your own race language, assist. It's a bug.

Languages are racial.

The snarking at each other needs to end. If there is a particular poster that sets you off, please simply use the ignore feature, please.

(Mind you, if you ignore me you still end up with post removals and penalties against your account.)

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 09:06 PM CDT
>suddenly not know common?

No. We assume that you learn common enough to come into the gp, and your own language. And as you learn common you might tend to forget your race language.

maybe 2 to 3 versions of each language would be nice. Mechanically it would be easy enough to program, for me. However.

As I, and DR-(poorly choosen spelling MGM) said, it was a GM aid bug. Thanks. But don't let that stop you from rehashing this thread from way back when.

<.yaw taht He went>

Re: Language System? 05/05/2011 09:14 PM CDT
okay then?

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR