Problem with compendium learning? 01/12/2010 03:29 AM CST
I recently performed the following experiment, to confirm something I've suspected for a while.

Scholarship 243
Compendium containing Dwarven, Elothean, Elven, Human, Kaldar, Prydaen, Rakash, S'Kra Mur, Silver Leucro and Snow Goblin charts.

I began with no scholarship experience. I studied every chart. Every chart required only a single study, and scholarship did not pulse during the process. At the end, my scholarship had moved from 0/34 to 8/34.

I then waited for my scholarship to clear again. I did not gain a rank during this time. I put up a capped Faenella's Grace (approximately 90 rank scholarship boost) and studied every chart. Every chart required only a single study, and scholarship did not pulse during the process. At the end, my scholarship had moved from 0/34 to 5/34.

(I actually had to repeat this process multiple times to get a run without scholarship pulsing. The rejected runs gave very similar results.)

The conclusion seems to be that a bonus to scholarship causes me to learn less per study. I thought bonuses didn't do that?
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 01/12/2010 08:05 AM CST
You may want to trade the silver leucro chart for something else, since it is one of the easiest charts.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 01/12/2010 08:20 AM CST
8 racial charts is also a little much in my opinion. I keep only 6 or 7 racials.

All racial charts are on the same difficulty level (125 scholarship?) and is probably a good contributing factor to lowered experience at your scholarship.

My thief has just around 300 scholarship and I'm doing up to Rock Trolls with that char.

Moon mage has 447 scholarship working up to Gidii.

If your goal is to learn scholarship you definitely need to use the more difficult charts. If your goal is to learn FA then the easier charts are better (significant FA exp only on success)
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 01/12/2010 10:00 AM CST
Oh, I know I've grown beyond those charts; I'll update next time I'm on the mainland. My point, though, was that bonuses are hurting learning, which I didn't think they were supposed to.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 01/12/2010 10:57 AM CST
Ugh- That can be a pain!

Usually when I'm approaching a challenge, I'm just barely under the edge of the ability to handle it. Coming from over is a very different perspective.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/07/2010 11:33 AM CST
With 360 scholar,which charts would be best for getting Scholarship? The Comp I have was giving to me,How many pages can ya put in there? Need to get another and update.Not to familiar with them,thanks!
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/07/2010 01:00 PM CST
Comps can hold 10 charts.

There aren't that many charts, so you need the weaker charts too.

my moon mage's comp's set up is:

Silver Leucro
Gor'Tog
Human
Kaldar
Snow Goblin
Rock Troll
Peccary
River Caiman
Gidii
Lanky Grey Lach

and my study script goes throught hem in that order. (which I believe is the order of difficulty)

You can most likely swap Silver Leucro out for another race chart. mine was collected when my Moon mage was still starting out.

at 535 scholarship I study up to Gidii and Gidii completes in 2 tries with the second try at 11 RT.

You can probably study up to Caiman with some difficulty.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/07/2010 01:01 PM CST
>>Comps can hold 10 charts.

And I don't use compendiums for this reason. I just have the charts in a sack, and grab them in order.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/12/2010 08:14 PM CST
Scholarship noobie my self. The leucro chart worked wonderfully but now at a thunderous 63 ranks I complete it on the 1st or second try. According to the information I was given, the next easiest chart would be my native races' anatomy chart (elothean). I am not even close to understanding this one...the 20s RT does lock my scholarship eventually but no FA.

Is there an easier chart I should have bridged with or am I stuck in no man's land? And does this skill play ANY roll in scrolls or magic anymore?
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/12/2010 08:34 PM CST
With charts you only gain First Aid experience on the first study and the last study when you fully understand it. The key to First Aid learning is to get a compendium full of charts and then flip through it studying each chart once. If you're just interested in Scholarship training however, then try studying the art pieces in Raven's Court in Crossing. Studying all of those will easily lock both Scholarship and Appraisal, plus its free.

Scholarship is no longer involved with reading and studying scrolls. That's all Arcana now.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/12/2010 10:03 PM CST
Once I get to 40 FA and 40 Scholarship, I buy a full set of charts and put 9 in each of two compendiums and then I do the following:

put get other compendium
put turn my compendium
put study my compendium
put stow my compendium
repeat

While I may not learn anything from most charts, it doesn't take long to move both FA and Scholarship with this method. Is it simplistic? Yes. But it's also a nearly idiot-proof method of training those two skills.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/14/2010 01:44 PM CDT
There's also a problem with learning above 500. As in, there is no learning. More compendiums please. I have closed a 200 rank gap between app and schol due to no bloody way to train. Lach chart isn't cutting it alone.

~ Purehand

"Composed of rock, the gargoyle is a statue come to life at the hand of an ambitious mage." - Construct.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/14/2010 02:00 PM CDT
While a pain to be tied to The Crossing, and not to negate the request for more high level compendiums (which I second!), studying the Raven's Court artwork will still teach at those levels if you're hungry for the ranks.

Kythryn
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/14/2010 06:34 PM CDT
My problem with Raven Court is that I never come away with the feeling that it was a good use of 15 minutes, training-wise. It is a nice feature of the crossings though.

7:16

Scholarship: 527 61.54% clear (0/34)
Appraisal: 525 37.50% clear (0/34)

7:31

Scholarship: 527 65.21% deliberative (11/34)
Appraisal: 525 41.17% deliberative (11/34)

~ Purehand

"Composed of rock, the gargoyle is a statue come to life at the hand of an ambitious mage." - Construct.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/14/2010 07:10 PM CDT
I agree, I don't use the Court unless I am up here doing something else anyhow. Usually, I run through there between some perc health walks while I am letting my Empathy/PP drain out a little. I'm a huge fan of the "new" exp system since we don't have to lock things anymore to keep skills moving, so just getting the schola/app into double digits usually lasts until I need a break from the empathy training. Unfortunately, with all the guards/wandering NPC's + shop NPC's + players on the street, Crossing is still the best place for me to work empathy when I'm serious about training it too.

But, all that aside, I also wish the higher level compendiums would be addressed and added, since 90% of my time is NOT in Crossing. (I don't get serious about empathy training too often...hehe)

Also, I guess I was on hiatus when they rolled in the change, but why did they so severly reduce the scholarship learning from spellbooks?

Kythryn
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/14/2010 11:31 PM CDT
I don't think they actually reduced the learning on spellbooks. It's just a combination of the new huge exp pools and the low amount the books teach + the high roundtime for studying each page + we all now have much higher scholarship due to compendiums.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/15/2010 06:45 AM CDT
Here is another datapoint to add to Purehand's findings.

Scholarship: 651

Started at clear, after studying 27 pieces of art in Raven's Court (that's all I could find, are there more?) I ended up at 12/34 in scholarship.

Maybe roundtimes could be reduced for higher skill levels as a perk of having more scholarship?
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/15/2010 06:49 AM CDT
I'll also add that, short of doing the first fold for the mouse instructions for an entire envelope of 100 papers, this is probably the highest I've seen my scholarship learning rate since new experience was introduced. However, I haven't taught any large classes to test out how that works.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/15/2010 06:50 AM CDT
I occasionally go in there to actually, like, read the artwork descriptions from time to time, so less RT with higher scholarship would be nice.

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/15/2010 07:01 AM CDT
Are there even any other applications for scholarship besides being able to read better compendiums, being a better student, and getting more information from the artwork?
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 03/15/2010 11:54 AM CDT
>Maybe roundtimes could be reduced for higher skill levels as a perk of having more scholarship?

This would be great.

~ Purehand

Re: Problem with compendium learning? 04/02/2010 10:58 AM CDT
>>Started at clear, after studying 27 pieces of art in Raven's Court (that's all I could find, are there more?) I ended up at 12/34 in scholarship.

A bit late, but 25 is how many I count (5 in each room) Where am I missing some?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 04/02/2010 11:34 AM CDT
>A bit late, but 25 is how many I count (5 in each room) Where am I missing some?

I don't know the exact number, but there's at least a couple pieces in the VIP area.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 04/02/2010 11:36 AM CDT
>>I don't know the exact number, but there's at least a couple pieces in the VIP area.

Ah, that must be it. I'm not a VIP. Thanks.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 04/02/2010 05:08 PM CDT
There is a couple of pieces you can study at the base of the stairs before you go up.
Re: Problem with compendium learning? 04/03/2010 01:39 AM CDT
There's a raven as soon as you enter the door and a mermaid off near some indoor pool I believe it is. I don't know about vip areas.