Teach class 05/23/2016 10:17 AM CDT
Would it be possible to have a teach class option or something similar where you can basically set up as a teacher without students so people can see you are offering a class? I can't count how many times I have been sitting around a guild or something, willing to teach a class...but its so hard to get started because you have to keep offering until that one person accepts.

I know I always check a room for classes first thing when I enter one of the popular hang out spots...and if no one is teaching I often move on to another area.

All this option would do would allow me to go sit in a room and type teach debilitation class...and anyone who uses assess teach would see something like this:

Jiji is offering a class on debilitation, but sadly he has no students currently. You can listen to this class if you like...
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:13 PM CDT
Or just don't teach AFK people. vOv

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:18 PM CDT
>>Or just don't teach AFK people. vOv

That too, but it would be nice to have an "open" invitation to teach at times. I know a lot of folks who use triggers while ATK, and being able to do "teach all" instead of "teach A" "teach B" "teach C" etc would a neat way to reduce typing individual artisanal teaching requests on my end.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:23 PM CDT
I dunno I'm a noted world class scholarship haver from teaching and I can't say I've ever run into this being an issue. Making people type >listen thayet once to mindlock a skill has never struck me as an undue burden on their part. It would annoy me if people just expected me to offer the class and can you imagine large gatherings and being spammed with teaching requests? How would your triggers work then?

I would be much happier if opening a class actually overrode demeanor so I could stop having a neutral demeanor all the time.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:26 PM CDT
>>I dunno I'm a noted world class scholarship haver from teaching and I can't say I've ever run into this being an issue. Making people type >listen thayet once to mindlock a skill has never struck me as an undue burden on their part. It would annoy me if people just expected me to offer the class and can you imagine large gatherings and being spammed with teaching requests?<<

Reminds me of the old days.

Mazrian
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:30 PM CDT
>> Or just don't teach AFK people. vOv

Pretty sure I would have to be Ethan Hunt to accomplish that. My guess is more than half the people who listen to classes are AFK a good chunk of the time. Personally I never leave for more than long enough to get something from the microwave or run to the rest room, but I have sat in a room for hours where no one speaks or does anything aside from listening to a class and popping cambrinth. My belief is what you do when you are listening to a class is none of my business, if you get caught doing something naughty then more power to the GMs.

All I want is a way to advertise a class over the noise of all the rummaging, rock abuse, magical tomfoolery, etc that takes place in the common areas...and make sure when John Joe walks in from hunting and looks for a class he can listen to me and I will teach him.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:31 PM CDT
Classes also had capacities back then. You didn't really get people spamming tons of teaching offers because their class would be capped at five or six people anyway even at high teaching skill.

I think I got to seven students, before the system was rewritten and the caps were removed.

Thayet

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:33 PM CDT
>> My belief is what you do when you are listening to a class is none of my business, if you get caught doing something naughty then more power to the GMs.

Once upon a time knowingly helping an AFK person gain experience was grounds for also giving you a warning and that included classes.

I know that's probably not enforced now but I remember it vividly enough that I kick people out of my classes who are clearly AFK and using triggers to listen to the first class in a room.

Thayet

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:38 PM CDT
>>I dunno I'm a noted world class scholarship haver from teaching and I can't say I've ever run into this being an issue.

Admittedly, I only teach people about the glorious wonders of slings during specific situations, so I definitely never had it be an issue, either. But, I'm also sometimes (often) lazy, and if I could enter one command to offer a class to everyone in the room I wouldn't balk at the idea. Really, I don't see it any different than a class becoming open after the first person listens. In this setting, the class is open before anyone listens.

>>Making people type >listen thayet once to mindlock a skill has never struck me as an undue burden on their part.

Oh, I don't care about them. I'm being entirely selfish here. I just don't want to manually offer classes to multiple people at once. If I could offer a class to an entire room, I'd find it neat. They'd still all have to manually opt-in (or use a trigger, whatever).

>>It would annoy me if people just expected me to offer the class and can you imagine large gatherings and being spammed with teaching requests? How would your triggers work then?

I see what you mean about people spamming teaching requests, but would it be any worse than randomly offering classes to everyone individually? As for the trigger issue, I don't think it would change those firing off any better/worse than they do already, honestly. Plus, I assume the messaging would be different than being directly offered, so it would be something you could switch on/off if you don't want to get frustrated in certain situations.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:41 PM CDT

>>Once upon a time knowingly helping an AFK person gain experience was grounds for also giving you a warning and that included classes.

I never said I knowingly teach them...I said I don't pry. I sit there for hours and only speak when spoken to so I assume everyone else is doing the same unless they say otherwise. Unless someone is doing something really obvious and obnoxious script wise, it's impossible to know for certain if they are afk or just anti-social. Nothing wrong with assuming they are anti-social and letting the GMs sort out the rest.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:45 PM CDT
>>I never said I knowingly teach them...I said I don't pry. I sit there for hours and only speak when spoken to so I assume everyone else is doing the same unless they say otherwise. Unless someone is doing something really obvious and obnoxious script wise, it's impossible to know for certain if they are afk or just anti-social. Nothing wrong with assuming they are anti-social and letting the GMs sort out the rest.

I don't think playing dumb is a smart/safe stance to take, mainly because GMs know players aren't dumb.

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:45 PM CDT
>>I see what you mean about people spamming teaching requests, but would it be any worse than randomly offering classes to everyone individually? As for the trigger issue, I don't think it would change those firing off any better/worse than they do already, honestly. Plus, I assume the messaging would be different than being directly offered, so it would be something you could switch on/off if you don't want to get frustrated in certain situation

Also sorry if the suggestion was misunderstood. I definitely do NOT mean some auto-spammed class request or an always on teaching option. I mean that when you use the option, someone who uses ASSESS TEACH will see you as a potential teacher. It would in fact cut down on the often seen anyone willing to teach something (or anyone want a class) type requests...basically you would be able to just Teach Stealth and people would have the option to join the class if they want.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:51 PM CDT

>>I don't think playing dumb is a smart/safe stance to take, mainly because GMs know players aren't dumb.

By your logic, you would assume that I am AFK most of the time I am in a class...and you would be absolutely wrong 100% of the time. As an example, I sat in a class from 1AM to around 3:30AM last night and didn't speak the entire time. I also spent the time knitting a stack of napkins for the outfitters guild so I would almost certainly appear to be afk scripting. I can promise you that the entire time not only was I at the keyboard, but I was paying attention to the game the whole time.

The only things I said in those two and half hours were, Hello how is everyone...and sorry I don't know that skill.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 02:54 PM CDT
>> basically you would be able to just Teach Stealth and people would have the option to join the class if they want.

But I already do that. I just need to find one willing, ATK person to listen to the class first, and then open it (and change my demeanor hrrrgkkhh) and literally anyone else can walk in and listen to it.

If I can't find that one willing ATK person... I don't know which population this serves at that point, but I don't think it's one we want to cater to.

Thayet

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:20 PM CDT
>>By your logic

My logic starts and ends with, "Don't believe playing ignorant is a safe way to avoid getting in trouble for something."

>>But I already do that. I just need to find one willing, ATK person to listen to the class first, and then open it (and change my demeanor hrrrgkkhh) and literally anyone else can walk in and listen to it.

Absolutely. This is more a "general invitation" option. Say I offer a class to A, B, and C, but none of them decide to accept. Maybe D, E, or F would like to accept. This gives them an opportunity to listen in without someone else who was explicitly being offered to listen accepting first.

Could they go, "Hey, I'll listen?" or some other way to indicate interest? Sure. Absolutely. 100%. But I'm not against making something easier, either.

"Hey it would be neat if I could offer a class to a room vs a specific individual" just seems reasonable to me. I'm all for group things like that, like when a bunch of people ask to see what an item apps at, being able to show room (I wish!) instead of show A, show B, show C, etc.

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:24 PM CDT
You'd have a point if the request didn't bypass the extremely simple thing of just saying "Hey, does anyone want a class in something?" and responding to whoever answers. It's not like the appraisal example because I don't actually have to keep offering the class to people once one person has listened.

It just feels like a way of making setting up teaching bots and skipping any actual interaction with other people easier which I'm opposed to.

Thayet

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:32 PM CDT
>>It just feels like a way of making setting up teaching bots and skipping any actual interaction with other people easier which I'm opposed to.

Makes sense. I'm just coming from the "I'm lazy and would like to just offer it to everyone at once instead of manually inviting until someone bites, at which point anyone can else join if they want."

I'm also coming at this from a Plat perspective, and AFK scripting is a much smaller issue. As I said, I'd literally only use this during paid quests and/or monthly meetups. Otherwise it's all compendiums and artwork studying for my scholarship.

Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:33 PM CDT

>>It just feels like a way of making setting up teaching bots and skipping any actual interaction with other people easier which I'm opposed to.

Too late. People who want to be teaching bots already are. This would not do anything to make it more prevalent because the people who want to cheat are already cheating. You are right it may make it easier for a bot to start a class, but honestly in the grand scheme of things it would make little difference for bot players and a nice option for some of the more aware.
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:42 PM CDT
If you appear to be afk for hours surrounded by other people who appear afk for hours you all should be ashamed of yourselves. It doesn't matter if you're staring at your screen watching your character script. You aren't bringing anything to the table that the afk aren't already doing themselves.

It's easy to find willing atk students or teachers. Just avoid the obvious afk joints like the ranger guild, warrior mage guild and empath guild infirmary.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Teach class 05/23/2016 03:49 PM CDT
<<If you appear to be afk for hours surrounded by other people who appear afk for hours you all should be ashamed of yourselves. It doesn't matter if you're staring at your screen watching your character script. You aren't bringing anything to the table that the afk aren't already doing themselves.

It's easy to find willing atk students or teachers. Just avoid the obvious afk joints like the ranger guild, warrior mage guild and empath guild infirmary.>>

I am more than willing to talk to anyone who wants to start up a conversation...its not my fault (well maybe a little due to unnaturally high levels of snarkiness) that no one wants to talk to me. Also if these easy to find, legendary ATK people exist and hang out somewhere, please tell me where that might be...because I have yet to find that area in Crossing.