Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/25/2016 11:49 AM CST
This may have changed, but I seem to recall reading something years ago about not being able to teach a class in a skill you've capped at 1750 Ranks. I got to talking the other day about DR with some friends who also play, like you do, and this topic came up. The presumption between us was you can't teach a skill you're capped in because you learn a little bit of that skill while you teach.

If that's the case, hypothetically if you capped your Scholarship skill would it prevent you from teaching and listening to any classes at that point since you'd learn Scholarship?

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is still the way things work in regard to classes and capped skills, but color me morbidly curious. Does anyone know if this is in fact the situation, or if not, how it works?

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, such as "The Fuzzy Kitten"
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/25/2016 08:46 PM CST
I thought that skills that hit 1750 would roll back down to 1750 if you go more than that.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/25/2016 09:33 PM CST
> This may have changed, but I seem to recall reading something years ago about not being able to teach a class in a skill you've capped at 1750 Ranks.

There is no such restriction.

You continue to instruct your student on Bardic Lore.
STUDENT grins in realization.

>exp skill bl
Showing Bardic Lore experience:

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Bardic Lore: 1750 00.00% clear (0/34)

Time Development Points: 15260 Favors: 17 Deaths: 66 Departs: 47
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/26/2016 05:13 AM CST
That's good information to have, thank you. I have no idea where I came up with the notion you couldn't teach a capped skill though. I'd be willing to swear I read something about it, but it may have just been a proposed change that was never included. It seems like it was right around the talk of giving a bonus to draining skills if you only had 1 or 2 learning at a time. Never the less, thanks again for the clarification!

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, such as "The Fuzzy Kitten"
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/26/2016 07:10 AM CST
> That's good information to have, thank you. I have no idea where I came up with the notion you couldn't teach a capped skill though. I'd be willing to swear I read something about

Not exactly related as this is not about capped skills and teaching however with high levels of scholarship it would appear that I am not as effective as a teacher. I do not recall anything about the question presented however there was a discussion about higer levels of scholarship awhile back, perhaps what you are remembering is similar to this.

Across three toons here first teacher 1287 scholarship, 120 thievery, 80 charisma, 100 intel, second teacher 680 scholarship, 80 thiever with 68 charisma and 68 intel both teaching the same student (at different times) the 1287 scholarship toon could not get students thievery above 1/34 at 400 ranks while the 680 scholarship toon could move the students skill just fine.

1287 scholar is empath, 680 scholar is trader, student is thief with 700ish scholar
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/26/2016 09:12 AM CST
>1287 scholar is empath, 680 scholar is trader, student is thief with 700ish scholar

What are the races? Isn't/wasn't there a bonus/penalty to teaching based on race?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/26/2016 12:06 PM CST

> What are the races? Isn't/wasn't there a bonus/penalty to teaching based on race?

Did not consider differences in race. The empath is the odd one from that perspective. Both the trader and thief are of the same race. This was also done in a home if that matters anymore, I really lost interest in teaching after all the changes.
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/27/2016 12:23 AM CST
Sorry for the double post but thought this might be of interest too.

>> 1287 scholar is empath, 680 scholar is trader, student is thief with 700ish scholar

> Isn't/wasn't there a bonus/penalty to teaching based on race?

Shouldn't close to double the scholarship and close to double the ranks in skill being taught as well as more charisma and more than 30 higher intel count for more than a racial bonus though?

Skillset placement should not matter as both empath and trader are secondary and they competed teaching to a primary in survivals.

If anyone is interested in data I can do this same thing again and provide that, however if this continues it should be in it's own thread.
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/27/2016 01:36 AM CST
Teaching is weird sometimes. It's always a bit of a guessing game as to whether a given class will teach well or not. I think there's a sweet spot for teaching and it appears the one character happens to be right in it while the other is far off of it. I'm not sure why it works that way. It does seem strange that a teacher that far exceeds another teacher in every respect but race would be a worse teacher than the other, but it's not the first time I've seen oddities like this come up and the GMs always say it's either intended or say they make minor tweaks but don't really explain what is going on.

I would BUG it in game with the all the character names with whichever stats and skills you know included and explain the differences in results, at any rate, so that the GMs will attempt to duplicate it to see what's going on.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Hypothetical Scholarship Question 01/27/2016 01:41 AM CST
Raesh discussed the teaching formulas before, and he mentioned there's a bonus if the student's scholarship exceeds the teacher's. That's the only possibility that comes to mind.

I get the impression the current teaching formulas involve spit, bailing wire and passages from The King in Yellow, but as long as it's not exploding the game, GMs would rather not fiddle with it too much.