Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 05:18 AM CDT
Any reason Recall Warrant was based on circle instead of a skill or skill combination?

-Rixie
Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 07:17 AM CDT
I'd guess because there's no convenient skill to call on.

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren
Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 06:43 PM CDT
>>I'd guess because there's no convenient skill to call on.

Given the folder this is in, I kinda support the idea of it being based on Scholarship.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 08:24 PM CDT
>> Given the folder this is in, I kinda support the idea of it being based on Scholarship.

I honestly can't see why Scholarship would apply. Can you explain your reasoning?

I

Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 08:31 PM CDT
>I honestly can't see why Scholarship would apply. Can you explain your reasoning?

It's in the scholarship skill folder. If it's not going to use scholarship not much sense for it to be here.
Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 09:04 PM CDT
>> It's in the scholarship skill folder. If it's not going to use scholarship not much sense for it to be here.

No, I mean why Scholarship would be used in recalling active warrants. The reasoning doesn't seem evident to me.

I

Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 09:06 PM CDT
>>Any reason Recall Warrant was based on circle instead of a skill or skill combination?

Yes.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 09:12 PM CDT
>> Yes

You've been spending too much time with Raesh.

I

Re: Recall Warrant 05/26/2015 11:55 PM CDT
>>No, I mean why Scholarship would be used in recalling active warrants.

Because I think it would fit well, if it had to be based on a skill vs a circle thing. I see scholarship as a skill that can enhance your general knowledge/understanding of things, so why not also let it help you understand your own legal woes.

At the same time, appraisal can also do it, but I went "yeah I can see scholarship doing it more."

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 04:57 AM CDT
I couldn't find a RECALL folder, so I stuck my question here since most Recalls use scholarship. I'd personally rather it be based on a Thievery/Scholarship skill combination. Plus my character is constantly stealing and has warrants everywhere and is constantly getting arrested. You'd think by now he'd be extremely aware of what's going on with his open warrants. He's also low circle, locking him out of further use of the ability.

I'm not complaining! :D I was just curious what the reason is. I can survive not being able to recall warrants. I've done without it all this time, but the recall is snazzy and I'm envious of higher circle characters.

THAT SAID, for those who have the ability, does it tell you which Zoluren Clans are looking for you? I just got my hand chopped off for the first time EVER after years of shoplifting and now I'm waiting to lose the next hand.

-Rixie
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 05:05 AM CDT
The problem with using thievery is that most crimes have nothing to do with it. Why would my ranks in thievery have anything to do with whether I can remember if I have a murder or disturbing the peace or forbidden practices charge somewhere?

If it was going to be anything else it would probably be an Intelligence check or something. Circle is a way better metric though.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 08:07 AM CDT
>Circle is a way better metric though.

After thinking about it some more, the best metric would be how many times you've been arrested and faced a judge. If you're in and out of the courts a lot, then you begin to learn how the system works and what to expect. I have friends who had warrants but didn't know until too late. While an organized criminal would know exactly where, what infraction and the potential consequences so he can figure out how to best go about dealing with it, or not. As a player, I'm not that organized, but my character should be by now. Again, intelligence like you said would make sense as well. As those friends of mine weren't the brightest to begin with, except one who knew to avoid a certain state and was a med student.

-Rixie
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 08:39 AM CDT
>> I see scholarship as a skill that can enhance your general knowledge/understanding of things

I think that's a bit too broad a definition, particularly given how the game currently works. You could use that reasoning to make Scholarship an overall mastery skill that applies to virtually everything; "My Scholarship skill gives me general knowledge/understanding of proper skinning practices, so it should increase the quality of pelts;" "my scholarship skill gives me general knowledge/understanding of gravitational forces and velocity, so it should bonus my thrown weapon accuracy." The way Scholarship is actually handled in game appears to be focused on what I'd call "book learnin'." Helps with scrolls, written instructions, learning from direct instruction, giving direct instruction. It's all about academia, not about practical application - that's where another skill tends to come in, like Arcana for spell scrolls or a crafting skill for putting the instructions to use.

And that's why I don't see Scholarship working for [all of, *see below] Recall Warrant; there's no academic nature involved in "did I break the law, and did I get caught for it, and have I already served my time/paid my fine." Effectively, Recall Warrant is a mundane memory task, and we really don't have any skills that measure a character's memory. I'm sure someone will want to argue that Scholarship is a measure of memory, but it really isn't; it's a measurement of how good your character is at accessing and applying information, not a measure of how good he or she is at remembering that information on command.

* I can see an argument for Scholarship being useful at the upper echelons of Recall Warrant. The lower levels are simply "am I wanted," "where am I wanted," and "why am I wanted," but when you get into the territory of "how much will my fine be" then I can see the reasoning behind Scholarship skill giving you an understanding of the legal systems of the various cities and provinces, and therefore giving you a chance (skill check) to guess the fine you can expect. Of course, I don't think it's really important enough to devote time to, so unless a GM reads this and thinks that sounds like a hoot of a good time, I'd be perfectly happy with things staying as is.

I

Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 10:05 AM CDT
>THAT SAID, for those who have the ability, does it tell you which Zoluren Clans are looking for you? I just got my hand chopped off for the first time EVER after years of shoplifting and now I'm waiting to lose the next hand.

Clan justice is not the same as standard justice. They don't have patrolling guards, or wanted boards, or jails, or courtrooms.
Maybe this will help you a bit: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Justice

You say to Tathalus, "Have you ever tried to clean a troll den? The smell sticks around for years to come."
Liev says, "That is my cue to leave."
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 10:26 AM CDT
So here's the reason I went with Circle-base rather than any skill, stat, spell, guild, age, etc.

*No skills really adequately cover it. It's a warrant. You're either aware of it because you remember being charged, or you read a board.
*Likely no one has eidetic memory in Elanthia.
*You can reasonably say that the more circles you have, the more you remember. Greater stats, greater skill, presumably, you remember all that junk you learned.
*Skills and stats vary quite a bit for everyone, even across guilds, same circles, etc. People have different training and play styles.

>>But I'm a commoner and now I'll never get the top ability.

If this becomes more of a prevalent issue, I'll look into alternates for Commoners. (Don't expect that it will be easy once that day comes.) It doesn't seem like a major issue at this time, but your feedback is heard and noted.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 10:46 AM CDT
Cool, thanks for the Justice info. I also stopped stealing from Dirge when I got horribly mugged. Was funny, but the messaging indicated they took something of mine. Not worth the trouble if they're randomly taking my belongings. Otherwise, being stunned and wounded was really funny and I would do it over and over. Still paranoid about the clans, but I'll test the waters some more. I'm not sure how to determine if they are looking for me or not. It was creepy how it went down when I lost the hand walking to Knife Clan from Wolf Clan.

>If this becomes more of a prevalent issue, I'll look into alternates for Commoners. (Don't expect that it will be easy once that day comes.) It doesn't seem like a major issue at this time, but your feedback is heard and noted.

Yeah I play a Commoner with Thievery as his top skill, but I seriously don't expect any special treatment because of it. I think the recall warrants ability is useful and interesting and I'm glad to see things like that in the game to help people clear their warrants. I just wanted a fun conversation regarding it. Hey, if there becomes a way for Commoners to use it then all the better. Thank you for taking the time to explain it, you are awesome, Naohhi! :) And thanks to everyone posting in my little thread here.

-Rixie
Re: Recall Warrant 05/27/2015 10:53 AM CDT
>> But I'm a commoner and now I'll never get the top ability.

It's long been stated that the costs of not joining a guild are far outweighed by the benefits of joining one. In my view, Recall Warrant is just one more of those benefits.

I

"Q: This is stupid. / Work on something we actually need changed! / Why aren't you working on something I want you to work on?
"A: Kindly shut up." ~ GM Naohhi
Re: Recall Warrant 05/28/2015 12:24 AM CDT
>>I think that's a bit too broad a definition, particularly given how the game currently works. You could use that reasoning to make Scholarship an overall mastery skill that applies to virtually everything; "My Scholarship skill gives me general knowledge/understanding of proper skinning practices, so it should increase the quality of pelts;"

That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? Scholarship explicitly deals with things like recall, the understanding of history, etc, at times with things like appraisal. I think it's reasonable for scholarship to help you better remember your own history, as well.

That said, it's tied to circle because it's tied to circle. Would be cool if it was tied to a skill, because I think circle based is a bit silly, but it's no skin off my nose either way.

Re: Recall Warrant 05/28/2015 07:23 AM CDT
>> That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

Nope. Entirely linear.

>> Scholarship explicitly deals with things like recall, the understanding of history, etc, at times with things like appraisal. I think it's reasonable for scholarship to help you better remember your own history, as well.

If I had to learn my own history by reading a book or listening to a lecture, I might agree with you.

I

"Q: This is stupid. / Work on something we actually need changed! / Why aren't you working on something I want you to work on?
"A: Kindly shut up." ~ GM Naohhi
Re: Recall Warrant ** NUDGE ** 05/28/2015 08:03 AM CDT
Reminder that posts in this folder should be about Scholarship. Please be sure your post is about the subject at hand, and not about other posters.

Thank you.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Recall Warrant 05/28/2015 07:25 PM CDT
>>If I had to learn my own history by reading a book or listening to a lecture, I might agree with you.

Last month I had to order my college transcript because I didn't have my own academic history memorized, so...

Re: Recall Warrant 05/28/2015 08:19 PM CDT
>Last month I had to order my college transcript because I didn't have my own academic history memorized, so...

Careful, if you're not nice, he'll put you on ignore so he can feel right all the time.