Novice Scholarship 10/17/2012 11:14 AM CDT
Any tips on getting the first 40-100 ranks? Seems to only be trickling in, even with great teachers. When can you start using Crafting Books?
Re: Novice Scholarship 10/17/2012 11:38 AM CDT
Given that my main character is a moon mage, I may not be the best one to comment. (Scholarship has consistently been one of my highest skills despite never specifically training it.) However, a few ideas I've heard thrown around that you might try:

1. Raven's Court in the Crossing has some artwork you can study.

2. I'd go ahead and try crafting books. It can't really hurt, as the lowest level is very cheap.

3. Recall. Depending on your guild, there may be some recall options for you to try out.

4. Anatomy charts/compendiums. You may have too little to start them at 40, but you could give them a try a little later.

5. Spellbooks teach scholarship, but are hard to come by and require some care (only using them indoors, etc.).

6. You could always try a dedicated Scholarship class. We've learned that a few locations in game give small boosts to classes in certain skills, and Scholarship is likely one of them. Try the Asemath Academy.

7. If you're a moon mage, use the prediction system.

8. If you're a bard, Faenella's Grace will boost Scholarship. This may allow you to learn from things like anatomy charts sooner.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Novice Scholarship 10/17/2012 12:16 PM CDT
Recalls will take 50ish ranks to get started. Once they do they are great. If you don't have access to them, ravens court is awesome.

Short of that, classes (which you said weren't working) or the books suggested.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Novice Scholarship 10/17/2012 12:19 PM CDT
You can start using crafting books from rank zero. It takes a while to lock, but the first chapter in the weaponsmithing book is really all you need. Just do one study and turn the page. When you get through all the pages, the timer will probably have reset so you can just go straight back to page 1.
Re: Novice Scholarship 10/17/2012 10:42 PM CDT
Back in the really old days, I used to buy embroidery patterns from Arthe Dale and use those to get the early scholarship ranks, not sure if they still work but they're relatively cheap so worth a shot.
Re: Novice Scholarship 10/18/2012 05:43 AM CDT
the embroidery patterns have a 5th circle floor on them, i know when i tried to use them with my then-necro-to-be-commoner, I could not use them. Have to be 5th circle or higher.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius