Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 08:06 PM CDT
I can't seem to find any current or recent posts about how to learn scholarship the best. I have a compendium, but it take me a good 30 minutes of studying do to the fact that I get a complete study on one read of each page. Is there a better way to do this? Are there better anatomy charts that would be harder to completely study at about 200 ranks scholarship? Any help would be appreciated. Scholarship is holding me back on advancing in Origami - if I focus on my intelligence to make up the difference I would have to give up quite a few crucial stats to get there. Thanks in advance!
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 08:18 PM CDT
When your not in combat always be listening to someone, heck if you can be listening to someone during combat that'll help it trickle in as well.

I don't know what your character's skillsets are, nor quild requirements or is it more of a general question?
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 08:24 PM CDT
Buy a crafting book from one of the craft halls, then rotate studying each page. They're as good as spellbooks.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 09:03 PM CDT
Lore secondary. Like I said - biggest thing I need it for is the first fold for origami on par with my mech.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 09:10 PM CDT
>Buy a crafting book from one of the craft halls, then rotate studying each page. They're as good as spellbooks.

Or study the art in Raven's Court. I believe there are some you can get to for free, but I'm not sure.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 09:17 PM CDT
There are five rooms with about five or six art pieces each that are freely accessible.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 09:17 PM CDT
I think the majority of the art is free.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/25/2011 11:23 PM CDT
>>Buy a crafting book from one of the craft halls, then rotate studying each page.

Forget art, forget compendiums* - buy a crafting book and study each page, it works a ton better

*for pure scholarship anyways, they are great for first aid if you don't like bleeding everywhere

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Scholarship learning 07/26/2011 05:02 AM CDT
Teaching someone a skill they're noticeably better at will also help you learn Scholarship, I believe.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/26/2011 06:19 PM CDT
>Forget art, forget compendiums* - buy a crafting book and study each page, it works a ton better

They're must be a pretty heavy curve once you start getting all the details. These things are terrible with less than 100 ranks. I hope it gets better later on, but 30 minutes (how long the OP is taking with compendiums) would be far better than what I see with the crafting books.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Scholarship learning 07/26/2011 11:10 PM CDT
I was attempting to hunt down one of the crafting books. I am in the Crossing and could not find where to purchase them. I went to the rock carving hall and could not figure out how to purchase the book.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Dierik
Re: Scholarship learning 07/26/2011 11:13 PM CDT
You can get books with the ORDER verb. Each hall has a room with a sign (or some other indicator) showing that you can ORDER something there.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/26/2011 11:38 PM CDT
Is there a timer on studying these books for scholarship?

Dierik
Re: Scholarship learning 07/27/2011 02:11 AM CDT
>Is there a timer on studying these books for scholarship?

Probably should be... but no.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Scholarship learning 07/27/2011 10:36 AM CDT
Don't know about a timer, but there seems to be a skill cap perhaps tied to the "level" of the book.

I can't get above 1/34 with an apprentice book.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/30/2011 04:15 AM CDT
With upper 700s scholarship and a master book, I can lock scholarship fairly quickly. I certainly don't need to study every page in the book, not even close. I prefer them to my spellbook because I don't need to worry about weather. With the warrior mage spellbook, I can also lock scholarship before studying every spell. I'm not really sure which is faster, but the crafting books are more convenient.
Re: Scholarship learning 06/08/2012 07:59 AM CDT
Glad I found this thread - sitting in the early/mid 400s and my compendium just doesn't seem like a viable way for me to learn anymore at all - the newer charts seem to all have 50-60 second roundtimes which leads to 30ish minutes of training to get to 3/34 at best it seems... I will get a crafting book to fill the gap, but just to slake my curiosity,is there a threshold with the newer anatomy charts that makes them a little more viable to use for training purposes? I know the opportunity to successfully do the first read of a new chart unlocks every ten ranks or so up to 700ish, but if the rts for the lower "new" charts don't get more manageable I don't see how they can be that efficient.

Truth be told, I'm mainly interested to work the comps for a trickle of first aid experience, and if scholarship is a key to open that door I'm more than happy to train it, I just wanted to know if there's light at the end of this dark tunnel with regards to compendiums - I don't need to lock fa and scholarship in 3 minutes like I used to, but knowing I can eventually get to 7 or 8/34 fa/sch after 10 or so minutes would be excellent knowledge for me... if it matters, survival prime, lore secondary.

Second quicker question - what level of crafting book (apprentice, master, etc) should I look for at 420 scholarship?

Thanks much in advance.
Re: Scholarship learning 06/08/2012 08:30 AM CDT

To be honest I'm surprised the harder set of the old charts (critters) don't teach reasonably well at those ranks.

To answer your question about the newer charts, the RTs definitely lower with more skill, but they do teach for a good while. With the following charts:
Ape
Arzumos
Bobcat
Caracal
Geni
Giant
Merrows
Selkie
Snowbeast
Trekhalo

It took me about 8 minutes to get through reading them, and it left me at:
FA: 416 20% scrutinizing (17/34)
Scholar: 736 41% concentrating (9/34)

I can't speak to the crafting books as I haven't tried them yet. But if you're looking for the FA experience that goes with it, I'd definitely see if the critter charts from the Empath shop in Crossing would work for you for now as well.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Scholarship learning 06/08/2012 08:51 AM CDT
That's exactly the type of answer I was hoping for, thank you. And yes, the older critter charts at the empathy shop do generally teach pretty well right now, as some are perfect rt-skill ratios, but others are still pretty miserable yet.

I truly think I'm just in a small dead zone with scholarship where those older charts are just shy of being perfect for my ranks... regardless I will keep away at it and use a crafting book in the mean time to give me the extra boost I need to make conpendiums more amenable again.
Re: Scholarship learning 07/11/2012 03:37 AM CDT

The best combo I have found for scholarship is using an at-level compendium as Kattena mentioned, and combining it with listening or observing a really quality teacher. Should get you closed to locked.
Re: Scholarship learning 08/07/2012 10:01 AM CDT

Anyone know what crafting book I should order to study with about 300 in scholarship?
Re: Scholarship learning 08/07/2012 10:10 AM CDT
I think you should do alright with any Journeyman's book

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"