Shaping on Test bugs 02/11/2015 12:03 AM CST
1. Crossing Engineering Society bookstore is suddenly wanting lirum for its books. (in both ORDER and actually taking the lirum and refusing kronar)
2. Shaping book has a blank Foreword (guess you know about all the blank chapters 5-10).
3. Misplaced period on each template page 'A crafter may also find it helpful to have a rasp and a wood lathe or a vice. on hand.'

Character is my Blacksmith looking for insight on how the system works for planning tool forging, not one of my characters that have Engineering skill, so I didn't actually try messing with the mechanics of actually crafting something. I'll do that later some.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/11/2015 12:43 AM CST
Ok, fixed the shop to Kronars and fixed the period in the tool description.

Still need to write up the tech descriptions, foreword, and finish adding templates to the other chapters.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/11/2015 01:13 AM CST

Just a reminder about the drawknife bug making the knife go to At your Feet with no way to retrieve when initially carving lumber that's on the ground and the rasp not working with any verb when the bow gets knots in the wood.

Second one is completely breaking to testing, first bug is kind of annoying. I have 2 knifes At My Feet at the moment. Heh.
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/11/2015 09:47 AM CST
I played around with this a bit yesterday. The only bug I found that wasn't mentioned already is when I was crafting the composite bow. I was trying to use lumber as a backer and it broke the crafting process. The first time it took all 6 of my ebony lumber and I couldn't complete the bow. The second time I tried to use my maple lumber and it didn't use any of it but it broke the crafting process. At this point I found the bone backer that was for sale in the crate and tried to use it and still no luck. On the third bow I was able to complete it using the bone backer in the crate.

It could be I was just doing something wrong but it seemed buggy.

You get a carving knife from inside your duffel bag.
> carve my bow with my knife

Using slow even movements you shape an unfinished maple recurve bow with your knife. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

The bow is ready to have more fine detail carved with a carving knife.
Roundtime: 23 sec.
R>
Talia boasts, "Feel free to ask me about engineering, or the tinkering, shaping, or carving crafting techniques I can teach you."
R> carve my bow with my knife

You use your knife to carve an unfinished maple recurve bow's limbs and riser. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

The bow is ready to have more fine detail carved with a carving knife.
Roundtime: 21 sec.
R>
R> count my ebony lumber
You count out 6 pieces of lumber remaining.
> carve my bow with my knife

Using slow even movements you shape an unfinished maple recurve bow with your knife. The stave's balance and flex appear completely intact from the work.

A bulbous knot will make continued shaping difficult unless rubbed out with a rasp.
Roundtime: 14 sec.
R> stow knife
get my rasp

You put your knife in your duffel bag.
>
What were you referring to?
> w
You go west.

[Engineering Society, Crafting Supplies]
Expertly fitted grey marble slabs frame the lower half of the shop's alabaster walls. A sliver of light shines through a pair of squat windows bordered by well-polished oak molding and fitted with iron bars styled to resemble vines of ivy. This area sells a variety of supplies to eager crafters and offers some shelter from the loud noises of productivity emanating from the east.
You also see a large sign and an elegantly carved mistwood door leading outside.
Obvious exits: north, east, west.

The attendant takes some coins from you and hands you a thin iron rasp.

> rub my bow with my rasp
You rub a thin iron rasp with an unfinished maple recurve bow.
> ana bow
You analyze every aspect of the recurve bow and nod as your understanding grows.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished composite bow.
A cluster of small knots deforms the wood's structure. Continued shaping would be dangerous without first rubbing them out with a rasp.
From the progress so far, it looks like the bow is masterfully-crafted.
The bow is a complicated piece to make.
You estimate that it is one-quarter done.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
R> scrape my bow with my rasp
You need to be holding a hide scraper tool to do that.
> e
You go east.

[Engineering Society, Depot]
Grey marble walls give way to alabaster columns framing an open supply depot. The northern hallway bears a sign indicating it leads to workshops, and a well-used road meanders out to the east. Crisscrossing wagon ruts in the dirt remain from trips to supply the guild with stone and wood supplies.
You also see a large sign and a steel crate.
Obvious paths: north, west.

>
scrape my bow with my rasp
> rub my bow with my rasp
>
Talia arrives humming softly to herself.

> carve my bow with my rasp
rub bow with my rasp
> rub bow with rasp
> scrape bow with rasp
> > stow rasp
get knife
carve bow with my knife

You put your rasp in your rucksack.
>
But that is already in your inventory.
> get carving knife

>
With a groan, Talia stretches before returning to work.
> carve my bow with knife

Back and forth you carve along an unfinished maple recurve bow's limbs with your knife. Only small uneven sections remain in the bow stave's sapwood.

Glue should now be applied to the bow and assembly with the backing material can begin.
Roundtime: 22 sec.

You need another bone, wood or horn backing material to continue crafting an unfinished maple recurve bow. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

[Ingredients can be added by using ASSEMBLE Ingredient1 WITH Ingredient2]

> stow left

>
> get my ebony lumber

You get some ebony lumber from inside your catapult basket.
> assemble bow with lumber

You place your lumber with your recurve bow and carefully mark where it will attach when you continue crafting.
> count my ebony lumber
I could not find what you were referring to.
>
Talia consults with several attendants, directing them to organize various areas of the room.
> get my carving knife

> carve bow with my knife

You need another bone, wood or horn backing material to continue crafting an unfinished maple recurve bow. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

> stow knife

> get glue

You get some wood glue from inside your rucksack.
> assemble bow with glue
You cannot find a way to assemble an unfinished maple recurve bow with some wood glue.
>
Thin streamers of cloud float in a mostly clear sky as the sun rises high above them.
> push glue on bow
I don't think pushing that would have any effect.
> pour glue on bow
You can't pour some wood glue!
> study glue
This looks like it has something to do with crafting. You think you could ANALYZE it to learn more.
> ana glue
You analyze every minute detail of the wood glue and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it has approximately 50 uses remaining.
Used to adhere different forms of wood to each other.
The workmanship is finely-crafted.
This tool appears to be extremely ineffective at increasing crafting speed.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R> apply glue to bow

>
The last few clouds clear away, leaving an open sky.
>
Talia boasts, "Feel free to ask me about engineering, or the tinkering, shaping, or carving crafting techniques I can teach you."
> l bow
You see nothing unusual.
> stow glue

You put your glue in your rucksack.
> get clamp

You get some metal clamps from inside your rucksack.
> push bow with clamp

> stow clamp

The attendant takes some coins from you and hands you 5 pieces of maple lumber.

The maple lumber is not required to continue crafting the recurve bow, so you stop assembling them.
> drop lumber

You drop some maple lumber.

> get glue

> assemble bow with glue
You cannot find a way to assemble an unfinished maple recurve bow with some wood glue.

> apply glue to bow

You need another bone, wood or horn backing material to continue crafting an unfinished redwood recurve bow. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

R> stow knife
get my maple lumber
assemble bow with lumber

>
You get some maple lumber from inside your rucksack.
>
You place your lumber with your recurve bow and carefully mark where it will attach when you continue crafting.

> count my lumber
You count out 10 pieces of lumber remaining.
> stow right

You put your lumber in your rucksack.
> get my glue

> apply glue to bow

You need another bone, wood or horn backing material to continue crafting an unfinished redwood recurve bow. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

> stow glue

> get my lumber

>
> stow knife
get my maple lumber
assemble bow with lumber
You need a free hand to pick that up.
>
You are already holding that.
>
The maple lumber is not required to continue crafting the recurve bow, so you stop assembling them.
> assembler bow with lumber
> stow lumber

> get my glue

> apply glue to bow

The lumber must be in your hands or on the ground to continue assembly.
> stow glue

> get lumb

> drop lum

> get glue

> apply glue to bow

> assemble bow with lumb
> swap

You move some wood glue to your left hand.
You move an unfinished redwood recurve bow to your right hand.
> assemble bow with lumb
> glue bow
Please rephrase that command.
> put glue on bow
You can't put that there!
> apply glue to bow

> e
You go east.

Grey marble walls give way to alabaster columns framing an open supply depot. The northern hallway bears a sign indicating it leads to workshops, and a well-used road meanders out to the east. Crisscrossing wagon ruts in the dirt remain from trips to supply the guild with stone and wood supplies.
You also see Engineering Society Mistress Talia Volmogen, a large sign and a steel crate.

>
stow left
w
>
You go west.

[Engineering Society, Crafting Supplies]
Expertly fitted grey marble slabs frame the lower half of the shop's alabaster walls. A sliver of light shines through a pair of squat windows bordered by well-polished oak molding and fitted with iron bars styled to resemble vines of ivy. This area sells a variety of supplies to eager crafters and offers some shelter from the loud noises of productivity emanating from the east.
You also see some maple lumber, a large sign and an elegantly carved mistwood door leading outside.
Obvious exits: north, east, west.

>
stow lumb
e
You pick up some maple lumber.

>
You go east.

You also see Engineering Society Mistress Talia Volmogen, a large sign and a steel crate.

> order 10
order 10
The attendant says, "You can purchase 5 pieces of maple lumber for 500 Kronars. Just order it again and we'll see it done!"
>
The attendant takes some coins from you and hands you 5 pieces of maple lumber.

> drop lumb

> stow lumber

You pick up some maple lumber.

> buy backer

You decide to purchase the backer, and pay the sales clerk 100 Kronars.
The sales clerk hands you your bone backer.

> assemble bow with backer
The backer must be in your hands or on the ground to continue assembly.
> > assemble bow with my backer
The bone backer is not required to continue crafting the recurve bow, so you stop assembling them.

Sometimes I like opening moongates in crowded areas just to watch all the people look through them. It's like watching Pavlov's dogs and the dinner bell.

Lyzalian Farscribe
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/12/2015 02:01 AM CST
Ok the drawknife and rasp bugs should all be fixed. Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/12/2015 02:06 AM CST
The intended ingredient is the backer material. I don't know why it allowed you to assemble in the lumber.

This could be a bug with the new Crafting Core updates for Enchanting. Would it be possible for someone to please test assembling incorrect ingredients in with other crafting systems? Too tired to try it myself, but it will get me on the right track tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks!

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/12/2015 03:54 AM CST
Only tested a stone carved bola but it worked properly.

You select a rondel chisel from the set and begin to hammer away at an unfinished alabaster bola, though that tool isn't able to improve the material deficits. A scant few mistakes show through after finishing.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

You need another finished long leather cord to continue crafting an unfinished alabaster bola. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

R> stow chis
get bola
buy backer

You put your chisels in your rucksack.
>
You pick up an unfinished alabaster bola.

>
You decide to purchase the backer, and pay the sales clerk 100 Kronars.
The sales clerk hands you your bone backer.

> assemble bola with my backer
The bone backer is not required to continue crafting the bola, so you stop assembling them.
> stow backer

You put your backer in your rucksack.

> buy string

You decide to purchase the string, and pay the sales clerk 150 Kronars.
The sales clerk hands you your bow string.

> assemble bola with my string
The bow string is not required to continue crafting the bola, so you stop assembling them.
> stow string

You put your string in your rucksack.
> buy cord

You decide to purchase the cord, and pay the sales clerk 150 Kronars.
The sales clerk hands you your long cord.

> assemble bola with my cord
You place your cord with your bola and carefully mark where it will attach when you continue crafting.

> ana bola
You analyze every minute detail of the bola and smile knowingly to yourself.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished stone blunt weapon.
The bola's material looks solid and ready for further carving.
From the progress so far, it looks like the bola is of exceptional quality.
The bola is a somewhat challenging piece to make.
You estimate that it is two-thirds done.
This item is made with alabaster stone.
R> get chis
carve bola with my chis

You get some short iron chisels from inside your rucksack.
>
You select a rondel chisel from the set and begin to hammer away at an unfinished alabaster bola. Cleaning dust from the bola reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent carving.

Sometimes I like opening moongates in crowded areas just to watch all the people look through them. It's like watching Pavlov's dogs and the dinner bell.

Lyzalian Farscribe
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/12/2015 04:44 AM CST
So I made a couple bows through the new crafting system, and went out to test them in actual combat. And surprisingly they all performed very weakly from what I consider normal. Granted the materials available there probably aren't the best possible, I considered them to be about average. But I was getting nothing more than light to good hits, and only about ~20-30% of them hit hard enough to lodge. I thought this might just be the crafting, but this was fairly consistent through a few of them. Then I used my normal bow that I generally hunt with, and got a very similar result.

So basically, my only hypothosis on why, would be either your toning back the power of bows(I really hope not, as I'm hoping for newer, better weapons like the other systems). Or much more likely, somewhere in the new stats that you have incorporated(suitedness, or some other power factor) isn't really working or calculating properly. I know things are buggy in test, but generally it's a mimic of prime. So, all the other things assumed to be the same, that is the only thing I can think of where a change has been implemented. Just thought I'd put in a heads up incase that was something unforseen.

~Van
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/12/2015 08:34 PM CST
>> would be either your toning back the power of bows

No, that is not the intent. What kind of bow stats were you testing with? Bows from Prime would generally have weaker stats under the new system and be a poor comparison.

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/13/2015 04:57 AM CST
<<No, that is not the intent. What kind of bow stats were you testing with? Bows from Prime would generally have weaker stats under the new system and be a poor comparison.>>

I didn't think it was. I was mostly really figuring the new stats put in to calculate power just weren't working as well as intended.

I was using shooting with a composite battle bow. Forgot which wood I made it from. It wasn't great. But still, I wasn't expecting it to perform that poorly. So I changed to my hirdu shortbow. I know you said that the fletched bows would be taking a bit of a setback. But I didn't think that applied to all old bows. Either way, they both manifested very similarly. Which was a ton of light and good hits, with about roughly 20% of the shots actually hitting hard enough to lodge. This felt drastically poorer than normal. I was not expecting the weaker stats would have been that drastic. I will try to test some more, and get some captures.

~Van
Please refresh the player base on test? 02/13/2015 05:35 AM CST

It'd be a huge help if you'd do a character refresh please? Most of my tools are missing for some reason, and I'm missing hundreds of ranks.

Thanks!
Re: Please refresh the player base on test? 02/13/2015 12:26 PM CST
Any chance of copying Rellie from TF for testing? I'd love to help, but complete novice feedback isn't really useful.
Re: Please refresh the player base on test? 02/13/2015 02:18 PM CST
Checking into if we can do another copyover.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 02:11 AM CST
Ok, so as I was mentioning earlier, the new bows in the new system aren't performing up to bar, in my opinion. They seem to appraise very nicely, but when they get put to work, they hit fairly poorly compared to how they appraise. And most currently existing bows, pretty much perform terribly, if even worthwhile to use.

I know people don't believe anything but numbers. So, here I threw in a little test. This would be be a little long, for those who just want to scrub through it, I'll break the info up into sections and leave the logs at the end.

*Testing conditions:* Lava Drakes, 1 kill per bow (competition longbow, hirdu bow, longbow), no buffs, razor-tipped arrows, full aim.

*Appraisals: (on Test)*

An osage competition longbow is a long bow type weapon.
An osage competition longbow trains the bow skill.

The competition longbow is soundly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is well balanced and is soundly suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is very low for a bow of this type.
The longbow does not appear to have an adjustable draw strength.

You are certain that the competition longbow is marginally vulnerable to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the competition longbow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the competition longbow weighs exactly 53 stones.
You are certain that the competition longbow is worth exactly 9218 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

A reinforced elder hirdu bow is a short bow type weapon.
A reinforced elder hirdu bow trains the bow skill.

The hirdu bow is reasonably designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the bow is soundly balanced and is fairly suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The bow appears set for a draw strength that is extremely low for a bow of this type.
The bow does not appear to have an adjustable draw strength.

You are certain that the hirdu bow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the hirdu bow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the hirdu bow weighs exactly 20 stones.
You are certain that the hirdu bow is worth exactly 681250 Kronars.

You are certain that the competition longbow is more balanced than the hirdu bow.
You are certain that the competition longbow is far more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the hirdu bow.
You are certain that the competition longbow weighs a lot more than the hirdu bow.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat heavy puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
poor impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows are somewhat unsound against damage, and are in pristine condition.

You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows weighs exactly 1 stone.
You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows are worth exactly 1500 Kronars.

A longbow is a long bow type weapon.
A longbow trains the bow skill.

The longbow is superbly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is decently balanced and is decently suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the longbow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the longbow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the longbow weighs exactly 35 stones.
You are certain that the longbow is worth exactly 175 Kronars.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat heavy puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
poor impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The razor-tipped arrows is terribly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows are somewhat unsound against damage, and are in pristine condition.

You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows weighs exactly 30 stones.
You are certain that the razor-tipped arrows are worth exactly 1500 Kronars.

*Damage Table:*
Competition longbow053525453440437356Total: 68Average: 3.78
Hirdu bow (Test) 31012213323121133-Total: 32Average: 1.88
Longbow (Prime) 6676760789--------Total: 62Average: 6.2

<<No, that is not the intent. What kind of bow stats were you testing with? Bows from Prime would generally have weaker stats under the new system and be a poor comparison.>>

I guess that is my point in this post. Even using the best craftable bow on Test, I was hitting far worse than using one of the most average to worse bow in Prime. On Test, under the new mechanics, while the appraisals looks great, the performance is sub-par than that of a typical longbow on Prime. I hope this is just a minor bug or something, and can be looked at or compensated for.

*Log of Attacks:*
This first one is with the competition longbow.

< You fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake barely blocks with its stony hide.
The razor-tipped arrow lands nearby!
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< With the precision and elegance of a plunging goshawk, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, twisting partially away from much

of the blow.
The arrow lands a hard hit to the drake's left arm.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself shallowly into the lava drake!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving as a single sinuous force, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, stepping partially into the shot.
The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's left arm.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with an overwhelming assault, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, only partially avoiding the impact.
The arrow lands a hard hit to the drake's left hand.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with exacting precision, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to evade, only partially avoiding the impact.
The arrow lands a good hit to the drake's chest.
The razor-tipped arrow falls to the ground!
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like the overwhelming force of a hurricane, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a hard hit to the drake's right arm.

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with dominating grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a solid hit to the drake's left arm.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like a master combatant, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a hard hit that scratches the left elbow.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like a master combatant, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's left leg.

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with an overwhelming assault, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a solid hit to the drake's abdomen.

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with exacting precision, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a solid hit that punches a hole through the skin on its side, lightly stunning it.

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< You fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake barely blocks with its stony hide.
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with an overwhelming assault, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a solid hit that etches a light cut into the right side of the chest, lightly stunning it.

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with amazing force and guile, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake attempts to evade, stepping partly into the blow.
The arrow lands a good strike that just barely penetrates the skin to nick the stomach ('Tis but a scratch!).

[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like a master combatant, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, stepping partly into the blow.
The arrow lands a heavy strike that cuts deeply into the left tricep, stunning it.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself firmly into the lava drake!
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with amazing force and guile, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a good strike that imbeds the razor-tipped arrow into the top of the drake's left foot.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a hard hit that punctures deeply into the right bicep, severing a small artery, lightly stunning it.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself firmly into the lava drake!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in with exacting precision, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a strong hit that rips the entire left arm from its socket, dealing it a vicious stun.
That would have stuck if there was anything left to stick to!
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

You reach into your quiver to load the competition longbow with your last razor-tipped arrow.
Roundtime 2 sec.
R>
A lava drake jacknifes a few times, then grows still, its body rapidly cooling until it is little more than a smoldering pile of rocks.

This one is with the hirdu bow, on Test.

< Moving with indomitable grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to evade, avoiding only some of the blow.
The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's right arm.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's chest.
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like the overwhelming force of a hurricane, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's left arm.
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving as a single sinuous force, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake attempts to evade, twisting partially away from much of the blow.
The arrow lands a good hit to the drake's chest.
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced with opponent in good position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving as a single sinuous force, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a good hit to the drake's left leg.
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving as a single sinuous force, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's chest.
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's right leg.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a good hit to the drake's left arm.
[You're winded, shaky, solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with the precision of a mongoose, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's chest.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with indomitable grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to evade, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's back.
[You're bruised, winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with indomitable grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a good hit to the drake's left hand.
[You're bruised, winded, shaky, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's right leg.
[You're bruised, winded, shaky, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Driving in like a master combatant, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The arrow lands a light hit to the drake's right hand.
[You're bruised, winded, shaky, solidly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< With the precision and elegance of a plunging goshawk, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake attempts to evade, moving almost completely out

of harm's reach.

[You're hurt, winded, shaky, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

You reach into your quiver to load the hirdu bow with your last razor-tipped arrow.
Roundtime 1 sec.
< Moving with amazing force and guile, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake attempts to dodge, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The arrow lands a good strike to the drake's left arm.

[You're bruised, winded, shaky, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

At this point I was out of razor-tipped arrows. But I felt I had acquired sufficient enough data, that the damage was generally pretty poor.

I went on to continue to finish it off with the shortbow for kicks, and the drake pretty much looked like this in the end:

You see a lava drake, which is dead.
The lava drake has a moderately cracked stone right arm, a slightly cracked stone left arm, a moderately broken stone right leg covered with cracks, a moderately broken stone left leg covered with cracks, a badly broken right hand with all its stone fingers missing, a slightly cracked stone left hand, tiny hairline cracks along the chest, a moderately cracked and splintered stone abdomen, several large cracks in the stone along the back and cracks and splinters around the left eye.
There is a basilisk head arrow lodged shallowly into its a moderately cracked stone right arm, a basilisk head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a basilisk head arrow lodged shallowly into its right foreleg, a basilisk head arrow lodged shallowly into its right foreleg, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a drake head arrow lodged shallowly into its right front foot, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its left foreleg, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its left foreleg, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its left foreleg, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its left foreleg, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its left foreleg, a razor-tipped arrow lodged shallowly into its right foreleg.
It is wearing nothing!
It is holding nothing!

*Longbow (Prime):*
This is using your standard, generic, 300 kronar longbow available at the weapon shop.

< Fluidly, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a strong hit to the drake's right leg.

[You're bruised, winded, solidly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving fluidly, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a strong hit to the drake's right arm.

[You're winded, solidly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving fluidly, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a heavy strike that barely breaks the skin of the drake's right leg.

[You're winded, solidly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving in gracefully, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a strong hit that barely punctures the skin on the upper chest causing a slight welt.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

The arrow lands a heavy strike that pokes the razor-tipped arrow into the drake's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).

[You're winded, solidly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Fluidly, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a strong hit that just barely penetrates the skin to nick the stomach ('Tis but a scratch!), lightly stunning it.

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with powerful grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a heavy strike that stabs deeply into the right thigh, puncturing the femoral artery, stunning it.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself deeply into the lava drake!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving with powerful grace, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its stony hide.
The arrow lands a very heavy hit that punctures deeply into one side of the drake's stomach and out the other, knocking it completely senseless.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself deeply into the lava drake!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

< Moving in gracefully, you fire a razor-tipped arrow at a lava drake. A lava drake fails to dodge, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The arrow lands an extremely heavy hit that drives the razor-tipped arrow under the sternum to pierce the heart.

The razor-tipped arrow lodges itself savagely into the lava drake!
A lava drake jacknifes a few times, then grows still, its body rapidly cooling until it is little more than a smoldering pile of rocks.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

~Van
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 02:13 AM CST
Bleh, my bolds don't seem to be working. Messes up my organization. Well, hope people still can read it. Sorry.

~Van
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 10:14 AM CST
I feel like your Elanthipedia user or talk page would be a tremendous help for this kind of post.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 02:00 PM CST
Well, when I get around to running combat numbers I'll go back and read this. Haven't really been focusing on combat, as this is more a test of the crafting system itself :P Going to be working on the new arrows next.

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 03:40 PM CST
<<Well, when I get around to running combat numbers I'll go back and read this. Haven't really been focusing on combat, as this is more a test of the crafting system itself :P Going to be working on the new arrows next.>>

No problem. I was just excited to try them out. I didn't really know what to classify the problem as, so I put it in here, since the craft system added some new things to consider, like the draw weight and such.

Awesome! I can't wait to see what we can do with arrows. Bone, teeth, metal? I'd love to see them be able to be made from stone too. Even cooler, gems!

I did notice the arrow appraisals had the "force" aspect from them removed. And they appraised differently in weights.

Also, question. Is the bone-backer something that we'll be able to craft ourselves? Something to either enhance our bows with stronger materials? Or at the very least, add a new flare to the look of them? Like a battle bow with dragon-bone backing, or a dragon-bone backed battle bow, or dragon-bone infused yew battle bow? Maybe horn too?

~Van
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 03:52 PM CST
>>I did notice the arrow appraisals had the "force" aspect from them removed. And they appraised differently in weights

Hmm, I don't believe that was intentional but I'll have to check.

>>Also, question. Is the bone-backer something that we'll be able to craft ourselves?

Yes, basic bone backers will be available from bone carving. Better looking/verby ones would be produced from an artistry enhancement.

Not entirely sure how I want to approach that. There are two ways I can see it:

Make sword, use generic hilt. Artist makes "enhanced hilt", player or artist is able to swap it out.
Make bow, use generic backer. Artist makes "enhanced backer", player or artist is able to swap it out.

Unfortunately with glueing it becomes unrealistic to disassemble/re-assemble the bow. With swords it is at least possible. I'd much prefer artists make the actual items (so as to have their own workorders they can do) in addition to providing embellishments on items themselves (engraving, painting, embossing, etc).

>>I didn't really know what to classify the problem as

Yup, that is fine. Probably just a math error someplace. Old short bows should be barely less effective in the new system, but equal to their old power when combined with new arrows.

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/14/2015 03:54 PM CST
Ok I think I fixed the bug with assembling lumber instead of the backer and breaking everything. It was a core bug. Really concerned the other crafting systems may have oddness..

Could anyone please help test other crafting systems (specifically Alchemy and Forging) in DRT?

Also enhancements. Those are completely new code... Thanks!

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/15/2015 05:45 AM CST
>Could anyone please help test other crafting systems (specifically Alchemy and Forging) in DRT?

Ugh, there is a problem with the SMELL and/or WATER/ALCOHOL stage mixing a remedy.

You analyze every minute detail of the refreshment elixir and smile knowingly to yourself.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of basic wound remedy.
The elixir takes on an odd hue that may clue you in to the preparation's next steps. To avoid a problem you should smell the mixture to identify what might be wrong.
From the progress so far, it looks like the elixir is masterfully-crafted.
The elixir is a very difficult piece to make.
You estimate that it is one-tenth done.
>smell elix in my bowl

You need another splash of water to continue crafting some unfinished refreshment elixir. You believe you can pour or put it into the bowl, pot or cauldron and continue mixing the unfinished brew inside.

[Ingredients can be added by putting them with the unfinished item and continuing to craft.]

>get water from my int pouch
You get some water from inside your intricate pouch.
>put water in my bowl
You realize the water is not required to continue crafting the refreshment elixir, so you stop.
(note: there is now a typo here too, extra space between "the" and "water")

I was unable to progress past this stage, but I've left the unfinished elixir in the bowl Kyth is holding if you need to take a look at it.
~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/15/2015 06:16 AM CST
>Could anyone please help test other crafting systems (specifically Alchemy and Forging) in DRT?

I was able to make a back scratcher (no assembly items) and a cross-peen hammer (short pole assembly) from the blacksmithing book fine.

~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/16/2015 12:05 AM CST
This Core mechanic is proving difficult. Every time I fix one system, another breaks. Just has to do with how many variations of ingredient handling we have... enchanting really through a curve ball in there.

If folks could continue testing that would be excellent. Alchemy should be working better now from my testing.

Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/19/2015 12:36 PM CST
<<If folks could continue testing that would be excellent. Alchemy should be working better now from my testing.>>

I don't know if this is only supposed to be happening in Test, or if Prime is affected by anything at all. But in Prime, it seems like the sieve is broken.

R> mix bowl with mix stick

With wide strokes you mix some unfinished ithor tonic with your stick. The solution continues exceptionally well and free of mistakes.
R>

R> mix bowl with mix stick

With wide strokes you mix some unfinished ithor tonic with your stick. Peering at the solution reveals it is mixing correctly.

Upon completion you see some particulate clouding up the mixture.
R>

R> stow stick

You put your stick in your traveler's backpack.
>

> get siev

You get a trapezoidal darkstone wire sieve from inside your traveler's backpack.
>
The flame opals adorning the triquetra symbol of your blighted gold bracelet flare with radiance, a sense of peace and restfulness spreading through you to ease your mental fatigue.
>
> push bowl with siev
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.
> push ithor with siev

>
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.

~Van
Re: Shaping on Test bugs 02/19/2015 12:40 PM CST
Nevermind, I think I know what is going on. I made a mistake.

~Van