workorder traders 07/06/2012 10:23 AM CDT
<<Work Orders now give Trading experience when completed. This only affects traders, and the amount awarded depends on the difficulty of the items the work order is for. Work order difficulty (easy, challenging, hard) does not affect the experience reward.
Please let me know how the payoff seems to be. We can always tweak if necessary>>

Is this supposed to be live in plat?

Did 3 work orders - 1 challenging, 2 hard, in the blacksmithing discipline, in which i'm careered.
I have 273 ranks in trading, and 134 in mech. Mech learned fine. Trading never got off clear.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: workorder traders 07/06/2012 12:50 PM CDT
>the amount awarded depends on the difficulty of the items the work order is for
>I have 273 ranks in trading, and 134 in mech. Mech learned fine. Trading never got off clear.

I'd guess you aren't doing work orders that are difficult enough to teach your Trading. You'll probably have to catch your Mech Lore up quite a bit to learn Trading off of Workorders.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: workorder traders 07/06/2012 01:36 PM CDT
>>>I'd guess you aren't doing work orders that are difficult enough to teach your Trading. You'll probably have to catch your Mech Lore up quite a bit to learn Trading off of Workorders.

No, it's probably not live in Plat.

Kodius said it was going live in TF on Sunday when they synched.

I'm getting a small bit less than half of what I learn in mech in trading exp (30-34 mech 12-16 trading mindstates for 5/6 item hard work orders), with 320 mech and 400 trading ranks. I doubt the difference she described is enough that she shouldn't be getting at least a few mindstates from it.

Kodius said it was going live in TF on Sunday when they synched. Maybe he can get it in plat sooner?
Re: workorder traders 07/06/2012 06:54 PM CDT
>with 320 mech and 400 trading ranks. I doubt the difference she described is enough that she shouldn't be getting at least a few mindstates from it.

Her difference was a factor of two. She had ~130 Mech and ~270 Trading. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that she would learn no Trading from these work orders.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: workorder traders 07/06/2012 07:32 PM CDT
>>I have 273 ranks in trading, and 134 in mech. Mech learned fine. Trading never got off clear.
>>Her difference was a factor of two. She had ~130 Mech and ~270 Trading. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that she would learn no Trading from these work orders.

A hard work order from someone with 134 ML would give them SIMPLE work order. That is 150-250. More than enough to learn. Plat is not updated yet in my opinion.

Abison/Rystien
Re: workorder traders 07/07/2012 12:25 AM CDT
In case anyone is wondering how this fares for the young 'uns...

I'm a circle 5 trader. This was an easy blacksmithing work order.

Before the work order:
Mechanical Lore: 16 77% clear (0/34)
Trading: 20 04% clear (0/34)

After the work order:
Mechanical Lore: 17 57% engaged (22/34)
Trading: 20 04% pondering (7/34)

All in all, I figure it came out to roughly 1/4 the mech exp in trading exp.

The work order took me about 15 minutes. Running contracts through Zoluren for an hour straight at this level of skill won't get me past 6/34 in trading. I'm a noob, so I'm using mules instead of caravans, which means I'm hardly learning any other skills that whole time, with the exception of knitting and juggling on the ferry.

While accounting for exp drain during that trip would most likely reveal I netted more experience while contract trading than for that work order, the fact of the matter is I learn multiple skills and make more money by crafting for trading exp. Also, mules and the like are smelly, and my character doesn't much care for them.

If I were to voice one minor complaint, it would be that I feel like the amount of trading exp should scale based on $$ value of the work order, not skill required to craft said items. I'm not sure how balanced the two are against each other, but it seems to me that our skill gain in trading should relate more to the money we can get from our work than the difficulty of the work itself. Just my two cents, and from an RP rather than mechanics point of view.

All in all, though, I can circle (however slowly) without contracts. I am totes happy.

~player of Crofton Hartewall
Re: workorder traders 07/07/2012 12:52 AM CDT
>>If I were to voice one minor complaint, it would be that I feel like the amount of trading exp should scale based on $$ value of the work order, not skill required to craft said items. I'm not sure how balanced the two are against each other, but it seems to me that our skill gain in trading should relate more to the money we can get from our work than the difficulty of the work itself. Just my two cents, and from an RP rather than mechanics point of view.

This makes some sense for RP reasons but it just doesn't work at all given the mechanics of the crafting systems. The problem with this is that armorsmithing work orders pay a TON compared to blacksmithing/weaponsmithing since the volumes are so much higher. I can do an easy armorsmithing work order and be paid 25+ plat (which isn't all profit since the metal itself costs almost that much) or I can do a hard blacksmithing order and be paid 1 plat. If the exp is based on value of the work order, you either get an instant mindlock any time you do armorsmithing orders (so that's all anyone would do), or you'd have to nerf exp from blacksmithing/weaponsmithing work orders to almost zero (and again people would only do armorsmithing orders).

I think the way it is set up now is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing with it

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: workorder traders 07/07/2012 02:08 AM CDT
<<The problem with this is that armorsmithing work orders pay a TON compared to blacksmithing/weaponsmithing since the volumes are so much higher. >>

i've found that payment varies according to material used as well. For instance, if i make something out of solid gold i get paid much more. :-).

as far as this - <<I can do an easy armorsmithing work order and be paid 25+ plat (which isn't all profit since the metal itself costs almost that much)>> how does the metal cost that much? I use metal from mining almost exclusively, thus its only time <opportunity> cost.

I would like to see payment from carving upped a bit, that pays bubkes compared to weapon/blacksmith.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: workorder traders 07/07/2012 08:22 AM CDT
>>I would like to see payment from carving upped a bit

Once I add some rare/very rare stone materials you should see it bump up. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: workorder traders 07/07/2012 10:37 AM CDT

>>The problem with this is that armorsmithing work orders pay a TON compared to blacksmithing/weaponsmithing since the volumes are so much higher.

You're right. I didn't even think of that. heh. Then no complaints at all!