No offense. 05/03/2012 08:17 AM CDT
Kodius,

I don't mean to be rude, but you did just re-scale shield protection backwards.

old shields apped very low-good.

NEW targe templates were fair-good on the arm.

now they're dismal-good? ROFL that's worse than the old ones. I guess what i'm telling you is i think they suck.
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 08:48 AM CDT
(Deleted my last post cause it was too snarky.)

He didn't change shields; he changed the appraisal messaging. So shields haven't lost any effectiveness. For comparison, here's the new arm-worn app of a capped old gargoyle-hide shield:

> You are certain that the shield offers dismal to moderate protection.
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 11:37 AM CDT
dismal is dismal, good is good, fair is fair, mod is mod, and i get that. so idk what you mean? The overall protection appears lower, period. armworn targe as of that release was fair-good. armworn apps are now dismal-mod/other whacky apps.

If you want to fight about it hit me up.

p.s. LOL snarky, you have no idea.
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 11:46 AM CDT
1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 11:49 AM CDT
the range's names changed and expanded, a few on the high end a few on the low end, there was a post about it about 10 posts back in the Smithing folder by Kodius

so using 'imaginary' #'s time...

on an imaginary protection scale of 1-100: if 40-50 WAS good, 40-45 might be called mod NOW, and 65-70 might be called good.
While your shield still does 45 protection, instead of calling it good, we call it mod, no numbers or stats changed, just the names. (unless you use # subs, then see below). It works, hinders, weighs, and protects the exact same as it always did, just the appraisal looks different.

And if you use Genie:
If you compare it using old # subs(as of saturday or sunday they changed), anything you're looking at now is actually a off. Before Moderate might have been the 5th protection range, but now it's like the 7 or 8th. So it might also be possible you think your shield dropped from 7 down to 5, it might actually be an 8 now.

Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 01:59 PM CDT
>>don't mean to be rude

I have no way to respond to this in a reasonable manner... try again? :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 02:10 PM CDT

>> The overall protection appears lower, period.

Exactly. It's appears lower, but it's actually not. It's the appearance that was the problem. Previously, target shields came out moderate and just about everything else was good, and you couldn't tell the difference between anything else because they were all in the same range. Now, the edges of the range are in different places and you can actually tell if one shield is better than another.
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 07:45 PM CDT
(new targe)
a damaska-skin targe
You are certain that it imposes moderate maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the targe offers rather low to very good protection.

weight: 60 stones

(old buckler)
a crocodile-skin buckler
You are certain that it imposes fair maneuvering hindrance.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the buckler offers very poor to good protection.

weight: 50 stones

Just a comparison showing that high density new small leather shields can be better than old small shields even without rare materials. Not sure what more can be said.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 10:40 PM CDT

Kodius,

Just double checking as your targe seems to be a bit off than what is currently made (unless you were just showing a generalized comparison without copy/pasting a shield currently made)

app tar
You are certain that it imposes minor (4/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the targe offers very poor (4/26) to very good (13/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage

You are certain that the targe is decently (6/14) balanced and is poorly (3/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the targe is somewhat unsound against damage (6/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

It appears that the targe can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the targe weighs exactly 57 stones.
You are certain that the targe is worth exactly 23000 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>
The last few clouds clear away, leaving an open sky.
> ana tar
You analyze every aspect of the targe and nod as your understanding grows.
This appears to be a type of finished tanned shield that is masterfully-crafted.
The targe is a somewhat challenging piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
Re: No offense. 05/03/2012 11:13 PM CDT
I just randomly picked one that I found in game which had been recently tanned. Not sure what material yours is made up of there, but it appears to be of a less dense material if only at 57 stones? I'm not discounting some math error existing, but haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

The other thing is even that shield isn't worse than an old tanned shield. Considering it isn't made of a rare material, I don't see a problem?

Re: No offense. 05/05/2012 12:10 AM CDT
Just some more data:

Old gargoyle tanned shield (small), first is held, second is arm worn. 34 stones.

You are certain that the shield offers dismal to moderately good (8/19) protection.
You are certain that the shield offers dismal to moderate (7/19) protection.

Kodius - I am noticing that now it is light hindrance, before it was trivial. Is that a change in stats or did hindrance messaging change as well?

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: No offense. 05/05/2012 01:45 AM CDT

Ahh, sorry. I tend to forget that it doesn't carry over the "hide" in appraisals like the old system did and completely misread your post and thought it was shalswar (its what I get for reading before work and trying to post after) so testing bison hide as a comparison.
Re: No offense. 05/05/2012 10:16 AM CDT
Yes, hindrance levels changed as well. Leather-type will not show in the appraise because material modifiers are not adjectives anymore.

Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 12:09 PM CDT

How can a 75 physical Dama targe turn out better than a 85 physical Shalswar targe... there is a .3 difference in density per volume, but should that really make up two levels of low end protection

Also maybe I just need to look at my apps again, but for me the combination of new leather shields, small leather shield adjustments, and new app ranges, has "changed" the worth of several older large shields, which are the same or worse now to newly tanned small shields, especially that one you just posted which i really do think is bugged since you nerfed tanned shield that were at that level with an update, seemingly twice now already.

Honestly all the buffing and nerfing has even me a little spun around.

Some apps:

You tap a warrior's tower shield that you are holding.

You are certain that the shield offers poor (5/26) to very high (15/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately (4/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the tower shield weighs exactly 190 stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 22189 dokoras.

You tap a gold-plated tower shield emblazoned with a majestic lion that you are holding.

You are certain that it imposes extreme (12/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers very poor (4/26) to great (16/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very severe (14/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly (3/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the tower shield weighs exactly 190 stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 27060 dokoras.

note Not sure why I dont get the extra line on the gold one, I haven't come across any other shield in the game that I dont

NEW MASTERCRAFTED TARGE

You tap a storm-bull targe that you are holding.

You are certain that it imposes minor (4/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the targe offers very poor (4/26) to very good (13/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage

You are certain that the targe is decently (6/14) balanced and is poorly (3/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the targe is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

It appears that the targe can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the targe weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the targe is worth exactly 32472 dokoras.

I'm sure theres a lot of stuff I don't under stand, but it seems like the real goal should be to get a shield with the best possible low end, to save you from high/low rolls... these two old shields that two months ago I would of considered viable, are now garbage to me... but yes yes yes... Nothing has actually changed... except it kind of has.

Hasn't it?
Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 12:26 PM CDT
AFAIK that's pretty much how store bought large shields always compare to tanned small shields.

I'd rather see how a new master craft small-sized leather shield compares to a forged large-sized metal shield.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 12:49 PM CDT
Please avoid comparing shields that were "fixed" after-the-fact (you'd have received a message about the shield feeling less hindering when it corrected itself). The formula to fix them just dropped them to the lowest allowable hindrance for non-rare metal leather and it did not try to figure out exactly what their stats should have been. Such a complex mechanism would have seen shield making turned off for a few more weeks :(

Anyhow, I'll go whip up some damaska vs shalswar targes later and see if I can duplicate what you are seeing. I did a few dozen test shields this past weekend and everything seemed OK, but who knows....

And yes this is confusing for people but are absolutely necessary for this mess of legacy junk to have any semblance of balance in the end. I just could not allow a small tanned shield to have 95% the stats of a larger and more hindering metal shield.

Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 04:41 PM CDT

>Please avoid comparing shields that were "fixed" after-the-fact

Im not... guess i should of said New, new, new, mastercrafted targe.

>And yes this is confusing for people but are absolutely necessary for this mess of legacy junk to have any semblance of balance in the end. I just could not allow a small tanned shield to have 95% the stats of a larger and more hindering metal shield.

I was actually saying old metal large shields that used to be very good are now equal or one or two points better than small common shields... but I guess if that's part of the absolute necessity then...

I give up, Im praying 3.0 lets me stop training shield anyway, but it probably wont... and then I'll probably quit the game because tert shield gains so slow it holds me back, and I don't wana spend another year in the same hunting ground.

Have a spoonful of sugar.
Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 05:04 PM CDT
>>I was actually saying old metal large shields that used to be very good are now equal or one or two points better than small common shields

They are more than just one or two points. They are ranges which include several points per range. So while 2 ranges may not seem a lot, they are definitely far better than a couple of points.

I don't understand your problem here though. So you hate training shield, but are saying small shields are too good? Or that the non-forged older shields are too bad? Try some newly forged large shields if you want something better. I still use an old gargoyle shield though and it works perfectly.

I'm also an armor tert thief and my armors/shield are on par with my weapons. I've never had a problem keeping them up, and have never really focused in training on them. They just seem to keep up with everything else on their own. It seems to me you may need to adjust your training to learn shield better.
Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 06:40 PM CDT
>>I was actually saying old metal large shields that used to be very good are now equal or one or two points better than small common shields...

Nothing changed with old metal shields other than the appraisals are more accurate. Small common shields also did not change (I'm assuming you mean storebought here or something), so you are likely confused somewhere. If you mean old large metal shields versus new tanned shields, the new tanned shields are nearly identical to old tanned shields so again, any perceived change is all in your head.

>>tert shield gains so slow it holds me back

My hope is C3.0 alleviates some of the problems you are having. But this has nothing to do with the current changes.

Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 06:48 PM CDT

>They are more than just one or two points. They are ranges which include several points per range. So while 2 ranges may not seem a lot, they are definitely far better than a couple of points.

Semantics.

>I don't understand your problem here though.

A) I don't see the shield he posted as being correct under after all the changes.

B) I don't think with all the recent changes old large metal shields survived.

______

>Try some newly forged large shields if you want something better.

You're probably right, yet I continue to fight for items that have been in the game for years, so that they just don't get thrown away... probably largely futile I know.

>I've never had a problem keeping them up.

Then you are intentionally holding your evasion and parry back. Been focusing on everything defensive for almost a year straight, primes, lores and terts (I'm sure I really dont even need to say) realize at different speeds.

Anyway everything after the break... I was mostly kidding and its off topic, so back to shields.

The changes are supposed to be about getting everything in line between what is small, what is medium, what is large... and working out the bugs... just trying to help.

Mostly that involves me playing devils advocate and pointing out things that appear off (::cough::like coarse leather helms having the wrong stats compared to other coarse leather::cough::)

I do appreciate all the time and effort the devs put in.

>If you mean old large metal shields versus new tanned shields, the new tanned shields are nearly identical to old tanned shields so again, any perceived change is all in your head.

I guess what I mean is new tanned small shields vs old what would be called tier 5 large metal shields.

If you can really look at those large shield apps and say... yep thats what I want from those large shields. Great. Two shields that I used to use, I wont anymore because theres no point in not choosing a new small shield over one of the good old large shields.

I get that the shield itself hasnt changed with the app changes, but they did actually change before that... when you said you were changing all shields and then they changed again when you fixed small tanned shields... so there have been actual changes... but yes I do understand that any perceived changes just from the app update are just perceived.

I'm probably just a crazy person : )

I'll leave everyone alone for a while, and let the dust settle.

Keep up the good work.
Re: No offense. 05/07/2012 06:58 PM CDT
>>If you can really look at those large shield apps and say... yep thats what I want from those large shields. Great. Two shields that I used to use, I wont anymore because theres no point in not choosing a new small shield over one of the good old large shields.

My understanding is that's pretty much how most non-3.0-forged large shields compared to old tanning small shields.

At least in 3.0 forging, forged large shields made with metal won't be as disappointing in relation to small leather shields.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2