Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 11:57 AM CST
I've only tried the measure verb so far (already love it).

>measure carr
You are confident that the carry-all's interior length measures sixty-one spans, wonder if the carry-all's interior height measures one span and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.

That thing is big!

>We didn't want to include it with Appraise because it teaches about as well, and then we'd have to either cut the learning of appraise itself or increase the RT.

I've noticed that measuring has no roundtime, intended? Also, I've noticed the container needs to be held to measure; are there any plans for dimensions being listed in shops so that a buyer could know how big they are before they buy them?
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 12:12 PM CST
Hmm, I seem to be getting Roundtime...

>measure pou
You are certain that the pouch's length measures one span, are certain that the pouch's height measures one span and are confident that the pouch's width measures three spans.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Are you sure you aren't getting any?

Many items in the DR environment that aren't ever intended to be picked up (doors, tables, plants) don't really have dimensions. Instead of adding thousands of expections, we just made it a requirement that you have to be holding the item. Over time we hope to add more flexibility here, though adding dimensions to all shops is unlikely to happen (due to the time it would take us to do so).

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 12:44 PM CST
Yeah, no roundtime anywhere, tried open and closed. This is done with a Trader, maybe there is something with their special app abilities getting in there...

I wrote script to measure all of my containers, all without roundtime. I went from 0 to 4 in a couple seconds... is there a limit to how often you can measure because that's quite a bit of roundtime-less exp.

>exp app
>remo pack

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Appraisal: 122 54.17% clear (0/34)

>measure pack
You take a cord-bound canvas pack off your back.
>wear pack
You wonder if the pack's interior length measures thirty-three spans, think it is likely that the pack's interior height measures twenty spans and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>remo sack
>measure sack
>wear sack
You put a cord-bound canvas pack on your back.
>
You sling a large canvas sack painted with a magnificent three-masted ship off from over your shoulder.
>
You wonder if the sack's interior length measures one span, wonder if the sack's interior height measures nine spans and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>remo carr
>measure carr
You sling a large canvas sack painted with a magnificent three-masted ship over your shoulder.
>
You sling a durable sailcloth carry-all with an embroidered flap off from over your shoulder.
>wear carr
You think it is likely that the carry-all's interior length measures forty-one spans, wonder if the carry-all's interior height measures twenty-eight spans and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>remo rich shea
>measure rich shea
You sling a durable sailcloth carry-all with an embroidered flap over your shoulder.
>
You remove a rich golden sheath from your belt.
>wear rich shea
>remo arm shea
You wonder if the sheath's interior length measures sixteen spans, wonder if the sheath's interior height measures one span and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>
You attach a rich golden sheath to your belt.
>measure arm shea
You remove a worn leather arm sheath tooled with the image of a cobra wrapped around a sword from your upper arm.
>wear arm shea
You are certain that the sheath's interior length measures thirty-four spans, think it is likely that the sheath's interior height measures seven spans and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>remo belt
>measure belt
>wear belt
You attach a worn leather arm sheath tooled with the image of a cobra wrapped around a sword to your upper arm.
>
You remove a furry wolf-tail belt from around your waist.
>remo case
You estimate that the belt's interior length measures twenty-nine spans, wonder if the belt's interior height measures one span and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>
You put a furry wolf-tail belt around your waist.
>measure case
>wear case
You remove an olivewood contract case embossed with a jade sana'ati tree from your belt.
>
You are confident that the case's interior length measures thirty-three spans, are certain that the case's interior height measures ten spans and are unable to determine any of the other dimensions.
>
You attach an olivewood contract case embossed with a jade sana'ati tree to your belt.
>exp app

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Appraisal: 122 54.17% thoughtful (4/34)
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 12:50 PM CST
>>that's quite a bit of roundtime-less exp.

Yes, as I said before there should be a 10 second RT for each action :P I'll keep poking to see why it might not be generating for you.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 12:57 PM CST
Ok, bug fixed and I decided to reduce the roundtime if you are not able to see all the dimensions. Please let me know if anything continues to be acting odd.

Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 01:27 PM CST
> we just made it a requirement that you have to be holding the item.

Maybe you could safely add worn items? I can imagine it being inconvenient to remove containers to check them, especially when they're hiders that would burn a charge when I do this.

Still playing with measure, but overall I love it. Now to go check out the rest of tailoring.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:20 PM CST
Is there any way to use maker's marks with this? I thought marks weren't trade specific, but I can't use my blacksmithing mark with tailoring, or maybe I just don't know the syntax.

>mark my cloak with my stamp
You cannot figure out how to do that.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:22 PM CST
Is your mark a complex mark? I thought he said complex marks wouldn't be trade specific, so if you have a basic one then it wouldn't work . I haven't tried out tailoring yet so I could tell you, if no one else tries it i'll test it out and let you know.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:25 PM CST
> I thought he said complex marks wouldn't be trade specific

I thought it was the other way around, that there was only one basic mark, but you could only get a complex mark for a career/hobby, and you needed a different one for each. I was only using a basic mark.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:28 PM CST
I've not worked out the specifics for the maker's marks. Forgot about it until it was too late to go back and sneak it in. Support should be added soon.

Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:38 PM CST
> Support should be added soon.

Cool.

On another note, are there plans to add reclaiming of fabric? Probably involve cutting the stitches, pulling the thread out, then cutting the resulting pieces square.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:39 PM CST
a slickstone, an oak distaff, some straight iron pins, some iron sewing needles, some iron scissors

I'm assuming these tools will eventually be forge/carveable?
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:40 PM CST
> I'm assuming these tools will eventually be forge/carveable?

Needles already are, the rest to follow. Blacksmithing books recently added an "outfitting tools" chapter.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 02:56 PM CST
Thanks, my other crafting books are in a vault two provinces away so I couldn't check.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 03:05 PM CST
Forgive me if this has been addressed with other disciplines:

I would LOVE to have a simple sewing kit (forging belt, carving harness, etc) or other type of all-in-one container that we could wear that would house all the tools of the trade for any given discipline. When you were crafting, it would automatically pull out the required tool for that step. (You would have to know which step was next, i.e. if you were correcting something).

>push strap with needle
You quickly pull out a threaded set of needles.
With expert precision you wind your needle back and forth over the strap, stopping only every so often to straighten the fabric.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

You could purchase the sewing kit from the crafting hall, and all the items would be at the same quality level. Maybe, if you wanted to get real sassy, you could swing it so you could put player-made tools in there and it would preserve the values for those tools separately. I think the kits could be very expensive, at least double the cost of having each tool individually. Player-crafted kit templates would be very difficult to complete, keeping them relatively rare/expensive to acquire.

My least favorite aspect of the new crafting system(s) is the sheer number of tools and commands needed to complete items. I feel that no other skill requires so many steps, so much equipment and so many different commands to simply train. And you really only learn one, maybe two skills in the process of crafting. Just my beef.

That said, I'm very impressed with the depth and breadth that these systems have. I can only imagine the amount of work that has been put into these and I really appreciate all the work you've done so far!

Thanks
GENT
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 03:22 PM CST
>>I feel that no other skill requires so many steps,

One could argue that combat has crafting beat by several orders of magnitude :P Once we allow for dozens of types of fabric, and hundreds of colors... oof! But, that is the price for allowing an unlimited number of crafting items.

I am already working on two types of sewing kits to house some fabrics and most of your tools as a single item. The first, and easier one, will just store tools as a stacker object. So you can put thread, cloth, needles, pins, etc into it, and it will only count as 1 item. Then you can remove them easily.

The other would be useable as a tool itself without the need to remove them. This type of item as a rule will be rare, and is much more difficult to code. It is kind of a side project for me.

Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 06:40 PM CST
Yeah, I thought about combat, but it teaches so many skills... and slicing something's head off is so much cooler than sewing a sweater vest. :P

>The other would be useable as a tool itself without the need to remove them. This type of item as a rule will be rare, and is much more difficult to code. It is kind of a side project for me.

If/when this comes about, I will be a happy camper! I would love to see it for other disciplines as well, but anything to cut down on the get/stow madness is awesome!

Thanks!
GENT
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 11:20 PM CST
This system is great.

Is it intended that we can sew with our needle in a container? This does make the process somewhat faster.

>tap need
You tap some iron sewing needles inside your shoulder sack.
>glance
You glance down to see some iron scissors in your right hand and an unfinished silk eyepatch in your left hand.
>push eye with need
>
You complete a straight stitch along one side of your eyepatch, pull the thread tight and then tie it off before continuing onto the next.
Re:Tailoring Released! 01/14/2012 11:25 PM CST
Hmm, dang no. That will be intended for one of the new sewing kits once they are finished.