Humming 03/02/2009 04:14 AM CST
>hum jig loud
You begin to hum a loud jig with only the slightest hint of difficulty.
You may be a fine musician, but let the bards handle the dance music.

=?(
Re: Humming 03/02/2009 04:52 AM CST
<<You may be a fine musician, but let the bards handle the dance music.>>

you were most likely on a dance floor at the time would be my guess

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Humming 03/02/2009 09:52 AM CST
I've seen the same bug in none-dance floor areas- Such as the fishing area at the amusement pier.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Humming 03/02/2009 11:34 AM CST
It's just random messaging as far as I can tell. The location of where you hum doesn't seem to impact it.

- Simon
Re: Humming 03/02/2009 12:42 PM CST
>It's just random messaging as far as I can tell. The location of where you hum doesn't seem to impact it.

Yeah, I haven't been able to figure it out either. Unless there's invisible dance floors placed randomly in hunting areas now.
Re: Humming 03/02/2009 01:15 PM CST
It only happened for some song types for me, I think rumba, polka and reel were the last ones, on minuet now.

-Azhag
Re: Humming 03/03/2009 02:55 PM CST
>Unless there's invisible dance floors placed randomly in hunting areas now.

The Critter's Guild has been known to throw some wild (HAHAHA PUN) parties on occasion.

Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 04:27 AM CDT
Anyone know what skill is required for non-bards to hum a perfect minuet? I was thinking (hopeing) it was expert, but just reached that and still having difficulty.

A horde of Rabid vampire smurfs rushes in and carries Tiesse away.
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 11:36 AM CDT
As a Trader, I stopped fumbling on it at 229. Is that what you were looking for or the messaging where it says "you fill with pride" or whatever?

-Azhag
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 12:16 PM CDT
Around 320-330 I was able to hum a quiet minuet without the "hint of difficulty messaging."

-Coralin
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 01:44 PM CDT
I think he's looking for masterful minuet. I believe i've been doing masterful minuet for the past 60-70 ranks with slight difficulty and stil havne't been able to move up to the next song with same difficulty. This is with 379 ranks in vocals.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 04:44 PM CDT
I want to say charisma boosts your humming ability, but I haven't explicitly tested it. So if you're reporting ranks, report charisma too?
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 05:24 PM CDT
I just tried humming a masterful minuet with my gnome trader in Plat.

Charisma 32, vocal skill 247

I got the fumbling message- but my impression is that I was just barely fumbling.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 05:45 PM CDT
Aye, it's the masterful minuet I'm looking for. I've been fumbling it for the last 50 ranks, thinking that 300 would be the turning point. I'm not sure what the exact messaging is, "filled with pride", etc.
>hum min masterful
You fumble slightly as you begin to hum a masterful minuet.

Once that fumbling goes away, your song will help boost spirit recovery for anyone listening. As a ranger using spirit for beseeches, I find that very appealing. Since Coralin stopped fumbling the quiet minuet around 320-330, perhaps the target skill is near there.

Charisma is 36, 'case that's a factor.
Thanks,
Cerran

A horde of Rabid vampire smurfs rushes in and carries Tiesse away.
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/03/2009 06:16 PM CDT
It doesn't need to be a masterufl minuet to heal spirit, it only needs to be a minuet done without any difficulty/fumbling. I cannot supply number of ranks, because I am a Bard and have Musical Theory to help me reach those little goals faster. But here is the start up messaging for a flawless masterful minuet.

You effortlessly begin to hum a masterful minuet, your heart swelling in pride at your hard-earned skill.

That reminds me, I've been wanting to test to see if higher levels heal more spirit. That would be neat.

~ Terra
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/30/2009 11:00 AM CDT

<<I want to say charisma boosts your humming ability, but I haven't explicitly tested it. So if you're reporting ranks, report charisma too? >>

I can confirm this.

humming with paladin with 56 vocals and 24 charisma i can hum a march with slight difficulty,
humming with a necro-commoner with 56 vocals and only 8 charisma i can't hum the march without fumbling.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/30/2009 03:17 PM CDT
>with a necro-commoner

Necrommoner.

~ Kougen Aensworth, The Lightcrafter

"It is the destiny of those who can know what will be, to lead those who do not to guide them, to protect them, to lead them to enlightenment."
- Grandmaster Taramaine Braun
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/30/2009 04:23 PM CDT
>>Necrommoner.

Heh that sounds like some kind of tool. Necrometer?

Discuss.

GENT
Re: Humming - Minuet 04/30/2009 05:35 PM CDT
>>Discuss.

Necrometer. Type of sword. Insert tool into object. Check for screams. If screaming occurs, not dead. Recommend re-insertion for accurate results.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Humming - Minuet 09/28/2009 05:41 PM CDT
May I ask, are there other effects from other forms of music that a non bard does? I ask, because I just recently started working music and have never heard of this before.. sorta startled me. If there are other effects or other ones that help heal the spirit, would someone mind listing them? This is info that is interesting.. next time I die (which should be soon enough) I will have to test this out.. and if I am having a prank pulled on me, well lol... I deserve it I guess for waiting so long. Thanks... :-)
Re: Humming - Minuet 09/28/2009 06:09 PM CDT
So far there are no other PLAY-induced benefits outside of bardic enchantes. I believe the "one day" plan is to add more, but they are concerned about taking away from enchantes.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Humming - Minuet 09/29/2009 12:19 AM CDT
>So far there are no other PLAY-induced benefits outside of bardic enchantes. I believe the "one day" plan is to add more, but they are concerned about taking away from enchantes.

Playing a hymn or psalm at a devotion-capable altar or shrine provides a soul boost for paladins. Requires 100+ in your chosen instrument for hymns and 200+ in your chosen instrument for psalms."
Re: Humming - Minuet 09/29/2009 12:43 AM CDT
Hymns and psalms work for cleric and devotion as well

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Humming - Minuet 09/29/2009 08:07 AM CDT
hymns and psalms work for both cleric devotion and paladin soul.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Humming 10/02/2009 05:47 AM CDT
Heyo - could someone give a little advice on humming? For a while I was learning nicely while doing other mundane tasks, but then at some point i decided to move up to the next difficulty tier, and I think I messed things up, because now I just learn very slowly.

Currently I have 96 vocal ranks, what should I be humming?

How long should i wait before moving up?

When I do move up, do I just first cycle through all of the moods for a song type? Or something else?

THANKS!
Re: Humming 10/02/2009 06:55 AM CDT
>Currently I have 96 vocal ranks, what should I be humming?

Try wedding or hymn.

>How long should i wait before moving up?

Personally I switch when I can hum the next higher song on the list slightly.

>When I do move up, do I just first cycle through all of the moods for a song type? Or something else?

So far just using the default HUM <song> has worked well as long as I'm humming slightly.

We'll see what the exp is like when I hit concerto in the not too distant future.

This is with a Lore prime character.
Re: Humming 10/02/2009 08:56 AM CDT
You could go back to what you were humming before, only try humming masterfully. Sometimes just changing the mood helps.

Good luck!

Re: Humming 10/02/2009 09:15 AM CDT
You can do one of the things the last two posters suggested.

Move up the basic difficulty ladder. When you hum <song type> it defaults to quietly. You can usually hum two types quietly at maximum learning capacity. Either humming the next step up (HUM HELP to find out what it is) or trying a different play style (romantic, haunting, masterful, etc) will also help.

It really doesn't matter what you hum, as long as you do it with a slight hint of difficulty

Hope that helps.

- Terra
Re: Humming 10/02/2009 12:11 PM CDT
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Vocals

Formerly Known As Nitish

>Alisyn edges away from you.
Re: Humming 10/04/2009 05:09 PM CDT
I just hit 100 vocals and now I use battle, off-key. Before that (from around 75ish I'd say) I was using polka, off-key. Human, Thief, 20 charisma, if that matters.
Re: Humming 01/23/2010 10:51 PM CST
so humming will give devotion to clerics, you just need 100 in skill for hymns and 200 for psalms? I tried using the for diety functionality but I didn't get any special messaging that I was doing a hymn for a particular god. Was this because my skill was terrible as well? What excatly is the syntax for humming a hymn for a diety?
Re: Humming 01/24/2010 07:43 AM CST
you only get devotion for playing an instrument< i.e. strings, percussion or winds> at that level, not for humming.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Humming 01/24/2010 11:45 AM CST
What do you mean at that level? So when I get more skill I will get devotion?
Re: Humming 01/24/2010 12:41 PM CST
If you want to get devotion from playing you need to do play hymn/psalm for <immortal>, do it in a holy area and not do it with any difficulty. Hopefully hum will get hooked into it as well at some point.

~Thilan
"To be honest, my son, the practice of Holy magic is really just reckless tampering with one's soul."
Re: Humming 01/24/2010 03:23 PM CST
awww, so hum definetly does not work for devotion right now? Want to make sure before I rally to get it changed.