Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 04:36 PM CDT
with the rewrite of play, many things have come about, but one thing that is lacking is the ability of various musicians that aren't bards to play together in one large ensemble.

I'd like to see the ability to form at least small bands, quartets, etc with everyone playing the same tune.

I'd also like to form a bagpipers band that would be able to form a group, and walk around and play at the same time. Sort of a marching band but different from the modern concept. More period-like, akin to the bagpipers of scotland and ireland.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 07:34 PM CDT
I'd like to see something like this, some day. What advantages, if any, might you see resulting from such a performance?

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 07:52 PM CDT
>>I'd like to see something like this, some day. What advantages, if any, might you see resulting from such a performance?

Stronger enchantes than some would otherwise be- though I know that is a very long shot.

For instance, if the enchante being played is a waltz, then Joe Warmage might be able to play a waltz to sort of provide a sort of musical equivalent to harness if he is joined to the bard's group.

That is provided that the would-be musician has sufficient skill.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 08:03 PM CDT
>I'd like to see something like this, some day. What advantages, if any, might you see resulting from such a performance?

To echo a post I made recently, perhaps this ensemble performance could merge with my idea that people can LISTEN to another character(s)' song to learn Perception, at the expense of tanking their visual perception to thievery, stealth, etc. I was kind of miffed that no GMs responded to it before, since we've been asked to brainstorm how to make the music skills less useless for non-bards, plus for ways to train perception outside of juggling or combat. Here's the post:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=5&topic=14&message=112

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 08:04 PM CDT
well, in the case of the bagpipers, the noise alone would scare the critters away....

perhaps learning rates in their instruments would be increased for, say being in a string trio, or quartet.... and so forth. I know from personal experience that you DO learn certain types of musicianship from playing in a group that you don't necessarily learn from solo performance.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/08/2008 08:08 PM CDT
How about something stealth-related? Musical group shows up and blows a few notes to draw attention away from the sneaks creeping into the area. Real Walls of Jericho sort of stuff.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Bands, orchestras etc 07/09/2008 10:19 AM CDT
What first comes to mind, for me, are walls and barriers. I recall the long-term effort that was required for breaking down the barriers that the Outcast armies erected. I remember thinking that bards should have been able to help, there, by focusing music and power to create a kind of sonic boom that could be directed at a fixed object.

I think musicians should be able to congregate, play together, create HUGE waves of sound, and blast an oncoming army, knock a wall down, deforest a mountainside, or create weather.

- Useff

Macfrae frowns at you as he says, "BAH! You already know that enchante. Why make me repeat things for you when you already know the answer? You owe me a beer for this!"