Most uncertain certainties ever 06/26/2008 08:39 PM CDT
I suppose this goes here--it's to do with the ASSESS <instrument> verb. I looked through past posts, didn't find anything, and have you ever tried to google something as general as "assess"? ;)

Why are my "certains" so variable when I assess instruments? I'm not a bard. I just picked it up. I don't have the best appraisal in the world. But here are some examples:

>You are certain that the mahogany txistu has some nicks and small cracks.

Took it to a bard, and no, it does not have cracks. This happened to my friend, too; her txistu or guiro or something said it was damaged, she was certain, and it wasn't.

>You are certain that the mahogany txistu is poorly made, but well cared-for.
>You are certain that the mahogany txistu is of good quality.

Now, hey, I'm just playing a txistu; obviously quality isn't exactly an issue. But if I'm secretly not certain (because I get different/wrong results) don't tell me I'm certain. ^_~

The damage thing is more of a real issue, but it's all strange to me.

Since I'm here... I'm surprised that no one's added instrument type to ASSESS. You have to be a bard if you want to see what class of instrument it is? Or will this work with ANALYZE and I'm just not good enough?
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/26/2008 08:52 PM CDT
>>and have you ever tried to google something as general as "assess"?

Adding "+dragonrealms" to your query narrows things down by a lot.
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/26/2008 09:36 PM CDT
>>Since I'm here... I'm surprised that no one's added instrument type to ASSESS. You have to be a bard if you want to see what class of instrument it is? Or will this work with ANALYZE and I'm just not good enough?<<

It will most definitly work for APPRAISE <instrument> and I don't believe you need good appraisal to see what kind of instrument it is. I believe you do need to be a Bard for specifics though. Just my Bardic two cents.

- Terra
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 01:20 AM CDT
>>and have you ever tried to google something as general as "assess"?

You can use Google to search only within one specific website by entering the search terms you're looking for, followed by the word "site" and a colon followed by the domain name.

Example: assess site:www.play.net/dr

Makes forum archaelogy digs slightly less frustrating.

skaen
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 01:23 AM CDT
>Example: assess site:www.play.net/dr

Just to be clear, this wouldn't search the forums. The forums would be site:www.play.net/forums, and it can go before, after, or in between other search items.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 03:35 AM CDT
I was just making a joke about Google. I know how to work it. ;)

Terra, like I said, I'm not a bard (currently, anyway). APPRAISE just tells me the worth and weight, hehe. It'd be nice if ASSESS would at least say if it's a wind instrument or somesuch. Things that don't have "look"s to them can be really hard to identify if you're not very musically inclined.
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 03:50 AM CDT
HELP <instrument> while holding the instrument in question works. It will even tell you what tool to use and the basic commands to take good care of it.

-Evran
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 06:24 PM CDT
Thank you! That's great to know.

Now... what about the "certain" messages I keep seeing in ASSESS? Especially the damage messages?
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 06:51 PM CDT
Being confident the answer is right doesn't make it the right answer.

I was certain i grabbed my black socks today, but they were in fact the blue ones.

Now we see that a "certain" is not always accurate because we do the appraisal thing to something over and over and over.

What would be more accurate is if a "certain" message on an appraisal locked that messaging in for a while so that it represents your character's perception of the thing.

>asses gui
Cradling the oak guiro in your hands, you carefully look it over from top to bottom, assessing what damage has been done to it. After a few moments, you realize that ...
You are certain that the oak guiro is crafted from wood.
<<You are certain that the oak guiro has some nicks and small cracks.>>
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

next several min this is all you can get out of assess. Someone else looks at it they see.

<<You are certain that the oak guiro is of good quality.>>

you are like "no it is all cracked and stuff." they say "no, that is just the grain." And you go, "no i was certain it was a crack."
You assess again after time passess,

<<You are think that the oak guiro is of good quality.>>

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 07:44 PM CDT
>>Being confident the answer is right doesn't make it the right answer.

Yamcer, did you make that up, or do you have a link to a GM post?

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/27/2008 07:52 PM CDT
just my opinion.

take it as you will.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/28/2008 11:19 AM CDT
I understand the way things work in real life... but... in DR, doesn't "certain" tend to mean "this is the way it is"? With APPRAISE, when I see "certain," I know those are the actual stats. With ASSESS, when I see "certain," it means nothin'. Or am I wrong and APPRAISE is uncertain, too, and I've just... always been lucky?
Re: Most uncertain certainties ever 06/28/2008 01:32 PM CDT
Yeah, I always thought certain meant certain, with the exception of appraising weights, where you need a certain AND an exact to be sure (You are cetain the widget weighs exactly 5 stones).

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com