Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 08:09 AM CDT
So, I've picked up an ocarina with a newb of mine and I can't seem to learn any winds.
I've been using the easiest tunes, and really can't get winds moving past learning.

Play scales off-key
play arp halting
play scales
play arp

etc.

clean, shake, repeat

Any advice?
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 08:55 AM CDT
Instruments vary in difficulty, and the ocarina may be too difficult for the really low ranks. It's possible that if you pushed your ranks to 10 or 20 (via a class or the really slow learning), the ocarina might then be in your range. However, it's listed on Elanthipedia as being two from the bottom in difficulty, so it might take a little more.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to buy an even easier instrument -- the txistu is the standard starting winds, but Elanthipedia has the mirliton and whiskey jug listed as just as easy. (If you're in Riverhaven, the Human peddler sells the txistu, but it will be very dirty -- ask a bard to clean it for you.)

Remember that the ideal learning range is when you play with "slight difficulty," and play your songs all the way to the end.

- Player of Niieth
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 10:36 AM CDT
So i need to travel to haven? Can i get the whiskey jug or the mirliton closer to the crossing?
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 10:43 AM CDT
No. The Mirliton is in Muspar'i (unless it might also be sold in Leth?) and the whiskey jug is in Forfedhar.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 12:01 PM CDT
Now, you could try a tin whistle: My wee Plat trader got her first 50 or so ranks of winds from that before she gave it away. Granted, most of that was before the last round of musical changes- but it should still work.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 12:33 PM CDT
There is a mirliton sold in Leth Bard shop. It costs about a gold kronar though. So might be outside your pocket book. Which I find odd for a beginning instrument to be that high in cost. Usually unless they are festival instruments they are very low in cost.

As far as the dirty instrument, ask someone with a lot of mech lore to clean it for you. Doesn't have to be a bard.

Oh and watch out for the weather, if it's raining or snowing or a cold snap/wind, it can damage your instrument. To avoid this situation I play instruments indoors. Keep them in a container suitable for the instrument, this will reduce residue/dirt piled up on it so you can't play it and any further damage to it as well.

Also, inside the Crossing Bard Guild is a long shelf where most Bards and other guilds donate items for younger Bards. You might check there for an easier instrument to play.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 12:36 PM CDT
>> It costs about a gold kronar though. So might be outside your pocket book.

It's really not hard for a newbie to make more than that with the task system.

Rev. Reene

Acerild whispers, "OOC: stop playing wow"
Acerild whispers, "OOC: your rp is suffering"
Acerild whispers, "OOC: which, to you, is like your liver failing"
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 12:52 PM CDT
Oh I forgot about that. I haven't used the task system since I can fight with my guardian spirit.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 02:23 PM CDT
>As far as the dirty instrument, ask someone with a lot of mech lore to clean it for you. Doesn't have to be a bard.

Actually, cleaning it (or failing a lot) will teach you pretty well. One of my young ones (not the bard) cleaned all his instruments and got to mind lock in the instrument without ever playing it. Lore secondary.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 04:10 PM CDT
>>So i need to travel to haven? Can i get the whiskey jug or the mirliton closer to the crossing?

I thought I heard that the Crossing bard shop sold easier instruments in a back room, but I don't know Crossing very well.

>>As far as the dirty instrument, ask someone with a lot of mech lore to clean it for you. Doesn't have to be a bard.

I suggested a bard because I thought that it also required some skill in the instrument itself, and bards are pretty sure to have that. I could be wrong though.

>>Keep them in a container suitable for the instrument, this will reduce residue/dirt piled up on it so you can't play it and any further damage to it as well.

Currently they don't seem to accrue dirt (mine haven't in the 3 months I've had them, and I keep them in my rucksack). I believe the official word here is that dirt is accumulating either very slowly or not at all until instrument bonding becomes a reality.

- Player of Niieth
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 06:56 PM CDT
>>Currently they don't seem to accrue dirt (mine haven't in the 3 months I've had them, and I keep them in my rucksack). I believe the official word here is that dirt is accumulating either very slowly or not at all until instrument bonding becomes a reality.

Very slowly. My trader keeps a sirynx in a hip purse and plays it occasionally on the sand barges. She hasn't had to clean it in some months, though she does always check. Today she had to actually clean it.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Ocarina-Learning winds 06/03/2008 08:02 PM CDT
>>Currently they don't seem to accrue dirt (mine haven't in the 3 months I've had them, and I keep them in my rucksack).

Instruments accrue dirt only when played. And very slowly, at that. You do not need to worry about dirty instruments, but you should still pay attention to their cleanliness.

All of my old instrument scripts automatically cleaned each instrument before I started training with it. I highly recommend this practice, even though it's a little superfluous.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin