Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/08/2008 11:54 PM CDT
Between TM enchantes, screams and such Bards are quickly becoming (if they have not been for a long time) just as combat-capable as everyone else. I think it would be neat to open up a few of the minor Bard guild abilities to everyone based on lore ranks.

Example:

Anyone with 200+ ranks in vocals will learn the type of singing voice they have (e.g., they'll sing in a baritone voice like Bards do).

Some of the instrument verbs, dance floor verbs, or instrument appraisals could be based on stats or ranks instead.

I think PLAYACT, being the coup de grace, should probably remain Bard only. Bluffs are a guild set of abilities so of course they would remain Bard-only.

Even better (and I have suggested this before) would be if Vocals and instrument ranks were actually used as a minor factor is defense against some of the new screams or enchantes (Bards would of course use them much more heavily on offense).

Basically, everyone hums all the time, it would be neat to have a use for the ranks.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 02:12 AM CDT
Honestly, I think everyone should know his/her voice type from creation. Not knowing this is as silly as not knowing what color bald characters' beards are or having to be shifted if you want to look fat. In fact we should even be able to choose our voice type if we like (from a range based on race).

Instrument verbs, etc., seem like they'd be great to open up to others.

I don't know about using vocals/instruments to defend vs. screams. Certainly knowing how to use your voice isn't going to help you not hear a sonic attack. However, defense vs. screaming that uses vocals makes me think of making a counter-scream with sound waves that clash with the existing scream (thus negating some of its effect). This may be complex enough territory that it should remain bard-only, though.

Let's see, other uses for vocals... I think Voice Throws (or some of them) could be opened up to everyone with enough skill. Also the ability to yell across multiple rooms? Possibly certain speaking emotes could be gained with Vocals ranks as well.

- Player of Niieth
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 06:46 AM CDT
Lol, you guys crack me up. Oh! Bards are getting some neat stuff! Quick, lets give some out before its no longer the laughingstock guild to players here in the real world! Way to ensure your own mediocrity.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 07:01 AM CDT
> In fact we should even be able to choose our voice type if we like (from a range based on race).

Yes, please.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 09:58 AM CDT
Neener Neener, we chose the best guild in the game! Bards FTW!

Just kidding.

I wouldn't mind other characters having a real voice at 100ish or whatever ranks of Vocals skill. Reasoning for the skill requirement would be that their voice has to have time to mature because of the lack of the personal training that Bards typically receive upon entering into the guild.

I wish more instrument feats came out just in general--honestly there's hardly anything Bards have in this department that's special outside of the dance floor mechanic, which I don't particularly care much about.

As for screams, better leave my babies alone, sucka's! It is futile to resist--you will all become assimilated by my screams of DOOM.

__
~Leilond - Working up to Galren and Mazrian
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v2.xls
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 03:44 PM CDT
>>Lol, you guys crack me up. Oh! Bards are getting some neat stuff! Quick, lets give some out before its no longer the laughingstock guild to players here in the real world! Way to ensure your own mediocrity.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines that it would be neat if lore skills had universal perks just like other skillsets have universal perks. More weapon ranks means more damage, etc. etc. Humming is for TDPs and nothing else for non-Bards.
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 04:04 PM CDT
>>Humming is for TDPs and nothing else for non-Bards.

I like to imagine that my Paladin's vocals skill allows him to sound like Morgan Freeman and inspire his comrades in battle. Or maybe Charleton Heston?

So yeah, a nice baritone singing voice would be nice. Or would that make him Barry White?

~Thilan
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 04:56 PM CDT
I'm all for additional uses for vocals.
Vocals: savant
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/09/2008 11:40 PM CDT
<<Humming is for TDPs and nothing else for non-Bards.>>

For my barbarian its also to help her not get strained vocal cords when she roars.

For my trader, its a RP thing... sing to the yaks <et al> to keep em going. Also sort of an "unconsious" thing.... hums "money, money"...

For my thief, its to practice ventriloquism. Something that bards and thieves share.

For my cleric, its a way to sing praises to the gods. Although Kertigen and Damaris must have earplugs to be able to tolerate his voice...

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/10/2008 12:45 AM CDT
For rangers, helps get a beseech no one uses (but hey, its there).

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/10/2008 09:15 AM CDT
>Lol, you guys crack me up. Oh! Bards are getting some neat stuff! Quick, lets give some out before its no longer the laughingstock guild to players here in the real world! Way to ensure your own mediocrity.

First of all, Aveda, since we have never met before let me take a moment to say that you rock. Remind me to tell you about the way I've customized your Reckus script sometime...

To respond to your statement, I hardly think that it will nerf the guild for other people to have voice types, dance floor abilities (at high ranks of skills hardly anyone trains), or even voice throw. In the latter two cases I would imagine it takes a lot more skill to master for non-bards, seeing as they aren't explicitly trained by their guilds.

Screams and enchantes can stay mine, thanks. :D

- Player of Niieth

P.S. Are you still planning on putting out a foraging script?

Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/14/2008 06:20 PM CDT
I would love to see instrument ranks mean something. I've always assumed they make enchantes more powerful, but that could just be wishful thinking. However, I see no reason to make those ranks mean something for non-bards by sharing the few perks we have with them. Voice types are the exception, I wouldn't care if everyone got one at 100 vocal ranks or something. Voice throws? No way.

If people want bard abilities, they can play a bard. There's plenty of abilities I'd love to share with other guilds, but it's not even worth bringing up because it'll never happen. We shouldn't be any different.

-=Issus=-
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/14/2008 07:06 PM CDT
>I would love to see instrument ranks mean something. I've always assumed they make enchantes more powerful, but that could just be wishful thinking.

I thought they just made it easier to cap enchantes. Then again, my bard is all of about 5th circle.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/14/2008 08:52 PM CDT
>>If people want bard abilities, they can play a bard. There's plenty of abilities I'd love to share with other guilds, but it's not even worth bringing up because it'll never happen. We shouldn't be any different.

This is purely my opinion, of course, but...

Most of the stuff I am thinking of is fairly useless. Enchantes, bluffs, screams, and voice throws would all remain Bard-only (or at least not open up more). I was referring specifically to the small stuff like voice type which has no practical application outside of roleplay.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 12:00 AM CDT
As a non-bard player approaching professional ranks in each musical instrument, there is nothing more I would love than some perks to these hard earned fun-filled ranks I have. I absolutely love spending my time playing instruments and wish there was more incentive not only for myself but also to encourage fellow players to pursue the musical arts.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 01:55 AM CDT
FYI, your hard-earned music ranks let you heal spirit health.

Just so you know.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 02:33 PM CDT
I'm definitely in agreement that some actual practical application of instruments in DR for everyone would be excellent. Anyone have any ideas of new things they could release? It never hurts to post recommendations! I had a list of ideas I had before, if I can find it I'll post it.

-=Issus=-
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 04:18 PM CDT
Mood music (ie, minuets for spirit).
Peter Frampton-like ability to make our instruments talk.
Air guitar.
Amplification (loud/soft for regular songs, where soft = same room and loud = like yelling).
playing songs backwards.
instrument solos.
swappable instruments/non-traditional methods of play (ie, august rush's bongo-like striking of the guitar tub and strings).
CHORUS-like combinations between players (I wanna be in a band, dammit!).
Improvisation/scat.
Deliberate dissonance (playing badly on purpose, and being really good at it).
Sectional play (rhythym, bass, lead, etc).
Animal charming.
single-note play (ie, Bill playing the reed flute in Kill Bill).
Low-level bonding (ie, more accurate tuning, easier to repair/fix, easier to play, etc).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 06:45 PM CDT
Oh I know I can heal spirit health.. problem is I passed that ability lonngggg ago and there is nothing to encourage me in the future
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/15/2008 07:45 PM CDT
>Oh I know I can heal spirit health.. problem is I passed that ability lonngggg ago and there is nothing to encourage me in the future

You can heal spirit health with a really out of tune dirty instrument.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 05/17/2008 01:38 AM CDT
>>You can heal spirit health with a really out of tune dirty instrument.

Ah, the melodious rythme of my dust-filled ocarina fills my soul with joy.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 06/03/2008 06:23 PM CDT
I disagree with the suggestion of Vocal/Instrument helping defense against Bard Enchantes. Its simply too easy.

I think everyone having a choice of voice range is fine, however. My suggestion for preserving Bardic uniqueness in the process of doing this? Give Bards the ability to sing into other ranges, based on their vocal ranks, and tack on some messaging about the level of talent and training necessary to do so. This would emulate a number of impressive real world feats, ie, male tenors hitting high soprano notes in their full voice, rather than falsetto.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 06/16/2008 07:20 AM CDT
* Your post here *

These are all really good. In addition there should be a playing verb that would be play <adjective words like the use of smile> and would go like "play in the key of A minor".

Seeing it would be Frampton plays his <instrument> in the key of A minor.

This would encourage better performances.
Re: Open up some of that Bard stuff? (lore uses) 06/16/2008 09:35 PM CDT
>Seeing it would be Frampton plays his <instrument> in the key of A minor.

This is assuming the listener isn't tone deaf and has an idea that the key is A minor...