Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 01:31 AM CDT
What is the easiest percussion instrument to play? I have had no luck playing Tamborine, Bones, or Zills in the ruff off-key manor (the easiest.) however i can play those on the lyre and txistu with only slight difficulty from the same ranks (0).

Thanks!

http://www.elanthipedia.com/

-Rawkus
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 02:51 AM CDT
Guiro. Found in the backroom of D'Or's shop.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 03:28 AM CDT
bones or spoons, but then it is NO LONGER THE INSTRUMENT, BUT THE METHOD.

Play ruf is easiest, and so on and so forth... even a bag pipe is "easy" to play on the easy setting. Play ruff halt is the first thing you do in the real world, learning where the keys are and how they react together.

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 06:51 AM CDT
>> even a bag pipe is "easy" to play on the easy setting.

Even playing off-key scales bagpipes take a decent number of ranks to use.

There are several very difficult instruments like this. Most are scaled in a way that allows you to play them across a variety of ranks but some are just meant to be really hard.

Rev. Reene

John: Boys, petty theft, assault, battery, breaking and entering, assault with a deadly computer peripheral, misdemeanor vandalism and loitering.
John: And those are just the things I think you did this weekend.
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 12:46 PM CDT
Also try cleaning the instrument. My little char couldn't play an instrument bought off the peddler in Haven until she cleaned it.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 12:56 PM CDT
Tried all of the above and still can not find a percussion instrument at teaches well at 3 ranks or percussions (everything is You struggle to begin an off-key ruff)

any other instruments that could be easier? i'm beginning to get the feeling starting percussions as a non-bard is going to be one of the worst skills to train.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/

-Rawkus
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 01:09 PM CDT
Guiros are the easiest. It's tough learning them a bit, at first. But around 10 ranks or so you should start seeing improvement.

(At least, this has been my experience)

Zadie's IM (4:39:17 PM): have you rerolled before?
Ysselt (4:39:24 PM): lol yes
Zadie's IM (4:39:56 PM): ok
Zadie's IM (4:39:56 PM): have you done it a lot?
CLEARLY MY REPUTATION IS NOT AS WELL KNOWN AS I THOUGHT.
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 01:55 PM CDT
Guiro is the only percussion where you get "slightest hint of difficulty" at zero ranks.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 03:16 PM CDT
Try the stamping stick from Hibarnhvidar.

Asbhuan in PLat
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/12/2008 05:08 PM CDT
>>Try the stamping stick from Hibarnhvidar.

This should work. I believe it was specifically put in to fill the gap for percussions at the very low ranks. If I recall correctly, one of my characters did fine with 0 ranks using a stamping stick.

-Gandoloth
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/13/2008 10:28 AM CDT
I was able to play Maracas at 0 ranks with only slightest difficulty.
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/13/2008 11:26 AM CDT
<<This should work. I believe it was specifically put in to fill the gap for percussions at the very low ranks. If I recall correctly, one of my characters did fine with 0 ranks using a stamping stick.

Just to confirm this, one of my characters did use a stamping stick to first learn percussions from 0 ranks.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/13/2008 01:04 PM CDT
I'll probably butcher the name but you can also try the frottoir or however it's spelled from the same shop. You need a stick to play it. The stamping stick works for that. Kind of redundant in a way to use one percussion to play another percussion. Interesting instrument and easy to play. Wears like a shirt or vest and can go over armor. And yes it does get damaged by rain/snow/water. In my mind I see it like wearing a xylophone.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/24/2008 01:52 AM CDT
>I'll probably butcher the name but you can also try the frottoir or however it's spelled from the same shop. You need a stick to play it.

Yep, one of my favorites. <insert plea for zydeco added to playlist here - telling me its a jig just don't cut it >. A lot of the Hibblehoffenhooven percussion instruments are fairly easy.

Once you get over those first few ranks it's just like the others really, and there's a lot more one-handed and/or metal options out there than wind and strings which is great for passing the time in the hunting grounds. Or you could just join the Elanthian Tabernacle Choir that seems to be sweeping the land like some bizarre cult.
Re: Easiest Percussion? 03/27/2008 11:13 AM CDT
training agility will also help.

Got Body Parts?