more things like hum 01/23/2008 04:35 PM CST
how bout adding this system to a few other things like:

whistling for winds

and clapping for percussions

can't think of something for strings that everyone could do though.. strumming hair? or beards..

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: more things like hum 01/23/2008 05:50 PM CST
>>can't think of something for strings that everyone could do though..

AIR GUITAR!!!

GENT
Re: more things like hum 01/25/2008 09:29 AM CST
Ugh, hum's bad enough as it is, please don't extend it to other instruments! I'm sick of seeing everyone, myself included, and their mother humming every two seconds no matter what the area is. Hum can be used in so many different circumstances with so little penalties, that it's practically free experience. I don't know how, but I wish it were limited more. It just feels sort of cheap to me, even if everyone else can do it--Sort of like those compendiums.

__
We are still discussing options and we are still trying to find the best plan we can that will not bring about the end of the world as we all know it. Well, that isn't necessarily accurate. The world as you know it will end.
Re: more things like hum 01/25/2008 10:04 AM CST
The learning on hum is a bit on the generous side. I wish other skills were that easy to train. That said, the rate at which weather damages instruments is kind of insane. I know there are some weatherproof instruments, but surely there must be a happy medium.
Re: more things like hum 01/25/2008 11:14 AM CST
> Hum can be used in so many different circumstances with so little penalties, that it's practically free experience.

It'll be changing soon. Yes, it's too easily used. Reducing the experience is probably not the best recourse, as that'll just make people hum all the more and longer.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest
Re: more things like hum 01/25/2008 12:47 PM CST
>>It'll be changing soon. Yes, it's too easily used.

Thank you Dart. I'm really glad that you have a good sense of game balance, and with you, Ssra and company on the job I have no qualms about anything coming in the future. I really appreciate the hard work that you guys put into this game.

__
We are still discussing options and we are still trying to find the best plan we can that will not bring about the end of the world as we all know it. Well, that isn't necessarily accurate. The world as you know it will end.
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 05:06 AM CST
>It'll be changing soon. Yes, it's too easily used. Reducing the experience is probably not the best recourse, as that'll just make people hum all the more and longer.

>- GM Dartenian

A few thoughts on humming or playing in general.

1) It already takes me 12 minutes to lock as a Lore tert (at lowish ranks), I really don't want to be humming more either. I'd hate to know how long it takes Lore secondary/primary to lock.

2) Is there any way to reduce the messaging scroll to others? I'd say just turn the room messaging off period, but I guess to some it would be preferable to just have an option of doing it without the room messaging only when they want.

3) I'm going to really hate seeing more restrictions on it, to me personally it will end up just meaning I have to hum more often during other tasks. I already can't preform while doing any kind of combat or fishing action, which is sadly what I spend most of my time doing (fishing and fish scraping teach terribly, maybe take a fixin hammer to that some time?). Which also brings me to...

4) Could we not have preforming take preference to.. everything else? I can't dodge, parry, attack, cast a line, reel in a fish, or even berserk because I'm too busy.. humming? No, stop humming, other things more important! And the problem is compounded because I can never remember if it's hum stop or stop hum. It would just be nice to have actions automatically stop/override preforming if you try and do them.

Dragoonseal
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 11:16 AM CST
>1) It already takes me 12 minutes to lock as a Lore tert (at lowish ranks), I really don't want to be humming more either. I'd hate to know how long it takes Lore secondary/primary to lock.

Maybe it's just the way my stats are set up, but as a lore prime with 510 ranks, I always lock Vocals with 2 hums (4 minutes) of a "slighty difficult" song, and I've had the same results ever since Hum 2.0 was released. My friend plays a lore secondary with 28 ranks in Vocals, and it takes 4 hums (8 minutes) to get locked. Just throwing some data your way.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com

I need Beta testers for BOXXOR, a super-comprehensive lockpicking script for StormFront. AIM: draveda
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 12:05 PM CST
> I always lock Vocals with 2 hums (4 minutes) of a "slighty difficult" song, and I've had the same results ever since Hum 2.0 was released. My friend plays a lore secondary with 28 ranks in Vocals, and it takes 4 hums (8 minutes)

Experience is based strictly on challenge and how close you come to being challenged and still being able to pull it off with only minor slipups. Being primary, secondary, or tert makes no difference on how much it teaches. The more complex a song you can manage to do with only a slightly bit of difficulty, the better you'll learn.

- GM Dartenian

- Edgar Guest
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 12:15 PM CST
>>Maybe it's just the way my stats are set up, but as a lore prime with 510 ranks, I always lock Vocals with 2 hums (4 minutes) of a "slighty difficult" song, and I've had the same results ever since Hum 2.0 was released. My friend plays a lore secondary with 28 ranks in Vocals, and it takes 4 hums (8 minutes) to get locked. Just throwing some data your way.

I always thought that Bards 'learned better' because of the Music Theory bonus to instrumental tasks.

For instance, if you have 100 ranks of Vocals and can sing an aria with slight difficulty (as a non-Bard) a Bard would be able to sing a concerto with the same Vocal ranks, because of the MT bonus they receive. Maybe I'm making this up?

GENT
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 12:37 PM CST
>1) It already takes me 12 minutes to lock as a Lore tert (at lowish ranks), I really don't want to be humming more either. I'd hate to know how long it takes Lore secondary/primary to lock.

You're not challenging yourself then. With 670 vocals as a lore secondary with 99 intelligence I can mind lock in about 5 minutes.
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 02:08 PM CST
<< 4) Could we not have preforming take preference to.. everything else? I can't dodge, parry, attack, cast a line, reel in a fish, or even berserk because I'm too busy.. humming? No, stop humming, other things more important! And the problem is compounded because I can never remember if it's hum stop or stop hum. It would just be nice to have actions automatically stop/override preforming if you try and do them.>>

I like this idea, i always get confused with hum stop and stop hum too.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 02:22 PM CST
> << 4) Could we not have preforming take preference to.. everything else?

If you don't like the drawbacks of performing, just don't do it. Problem solved. It's already too convenient to do in a bazillion situations. The last thing I'm going to do is make it more convenient, which this would do.

- GM Dartenian

- Edgar Guest
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 02:24 PM CST
<<If you don't like the drawbacks of performing, just don't do it. Problem solved. It's already too convenient to do in a bazillion situations. The last thing I'm going to do is make it more convenient, which this would do.>>

What about having both stop hum and hum stop work?

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 02:40 PM CST
> What about having both stop hum and hum stop work?

I'll see what I can do.

- GM Dartenian

- Edgar Guest
Re: more things like hum 01/27/2008 08:26 PM CST
Wow, I'm loving the instant backlash. People really have got to stop assuming from the start that someone doesn't know what they're talking about and talk down to them just because they get different results.

My thanks to Aveda and Gent for the constructive feedback which pretty much told me everything I need to know on the likely reasons are such varying results.

>Experience is based strictly on challenge and how close you come to being challenged and still being able to pull it off with only minor slipups. Being primary, secondary, or tert makes no difference on how much it teaches. The more complex a song you can manage to do with only a slightly bit of difficulty, the better you'll learn.

Dart, with a tert exp pool and subpar mentals I have a monumentally smaller pool size than someone lore primary or even secondary, so assuming I'm having the same amount of success and getting the same amount of exp bits as the next guy, I would (should) fill my pool quicker.

Unless you're saying that exp is awarded as filling a certain percentage of one's exp pool, in which case that's a hell of a bonus to those with secondary and primary pools.

>I always thought that Bards 'learned better' because of the Music Theory bonus to instrumental tasks.

>For instance, if you have 100 ranks of Vocals and can sing an aria with slight difficulty (as a non-Bard) a Bard would be able to sing a concerto with the same Vocal ranks, because of the MT bonus they receive. Maybe I'm making this up?

That was my understanding as well Gent, and as Aveda suggested I'm guessing higher stats would also let one sing more difficult songs, and thus earn more exp.

>You're not challenging yourself then. With 670 vocals as a lore secondary with 99 intelligence I can mind lock in about 5 minutes.

Well, the numbers then:

Lore tert.
Vocals: 84 ranks
Using lament: You begin to hum a quiet lament with only the slightest hint of difficulty.

9:49:00 pm Start
9:51:05 pm pondering (song ends)
9:53:15 pm concentrating (song ends)
9:55:30 pm very muddled (song ends)
9:57:42 pm perplexed (song ends)
9:59:56 pm bewildering (song ends)
10:01:56 pm dazed
10:02:13 pm mind lock (song ends)

I assure you I'm completely open to any helpful suggestions on how to improve that, especially with upcoming changes to give even more restrictions. I already have to hum and stop humming way too much as it is, with it taking so long to lock.

Dragoonseal