Percussions 4 Everyone 01/17/2008 05:05 PM CST
I have an idea to make non-bards wish to train percussions. I propose that someone who can play a march (or anything higher, maybe) without difficulty should provide a decent boost to the combat skills of his/her group. I'm not talking Rage of Clans here, but enough to be worth it. It can be something for battle empaths to do when not fixing people. Like a drummer boy/girl keeping everyone in step. I know that applied more to transportation than actual fighting in the real world, but I think we can make an exception here for playability's sake.

I love the spirit recovery aspect that was added to music relatively recently. I can only hope that more ideas will pour out to make music skills appealing to non-bards, which would then make instrument creation a viable source of income after the mech split.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com

I need Beta testers for BOXXOR, a super-comprehensive lockpicking script for StormFront. AIM: draveda
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/17/2008 07:47 PM CST
I really love this idea.

- Player of Foresee

"Since your character is a unique snowflake, I will not attempt to create a measure for his own, personal angst." - DR-Armifer
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/17/2008 08:20 PM CST
I like this.

My tweaks would be to mirror the spirit recovery bit: require it to be certain song types (confident march, battle song, etc.) and have it provide static bonuses assuming you play it successfully.

Seeing as there do exist 1-handed percussion instruments, I think this is a good idea. Also, Battle Empaths would be interested, and synching it to someone inside a Paladin's group would make it tremendous.
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/17/2008 09:15 PM CST
That's a really cool idea, and a good way to make instruments more useful.

While we're on the subject, any chance humming/singing could restore spirit like the other instruments do?
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/19/2008 04:34 PM CST
>While we're on the subject, any chance humming/singing could restore spirit like the other instruments do?

I think vocals was removed from this because you can zombie train it anywhere, at almost any time, without an instrument. It's a whole new can of zombie-worms, and should be addressed in the appropose folders for a real reaponse.
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/19/2008 09:31 PM CST
These are the appropriate folders.
Re: Percussions 4 Everyone 01/21/2008 08:44 AM CST
>I think vocals was removed from this because you can zombie train it anywhere, at almost any time, without an instrument. It's a whole new can of zombie-worms, and should be addressed in the appropose folders for a real reaponse.

It was never removed. Humming didn't exist when this was released. There was no way to train the vocals skill when you were alone. And honestly, name a skill that can't be 'zombie trained'... maybe teaching if you only have one account.