Prev_page Previous 1
A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 10:22 PM CDT
You smile.

You continue playing on your bones.

Continuing a quiet hymn on your bones, you focus and let the music pour from your soul.

Someone in the crowd drops something shiny in a silver-chased woodwind case at your feet.

In the woodwind case you see some bronze coins, a silver coin, some bronze coins and a silver coin.

As you continue to play your bones, a quiet hymn floats through the air with total mastery.

You smile.

With total mastery, you immerse yourself in a quiet hymn, merging all your emotions into the music.

A butterfly glides gracefully into the area.

Many more people are stopping by to listen to the performance.
A few hecklers in the crowd start throwing rocks.
One of the rocks hits you in the left hand.
One of the rocks hits you in the right arm.
One of the rocks hits you in the right hand.

You frown.

You finish playing a quiet hymn on your bones.

In the woodwind case you see some bronze coins, a silver coin, some bronze coins and a silver coin.

A few hecklers in the crowd start throwing rocks.
One of the rocks hits you in the abdomen.
Someone in the crowd drops something shiny in a silver-chased woodwind case at your feet.

In the woodwind case you see some copper coins, some bronze coins, some silver coins, some bronze coins, a silver coin, some bronze coins and a silver coin.

The butterfly flies across your face, appearing to momentarily consider your nose as a possible landing place. Before it can make a decision, it is frightened by a dark shadow and it flits quickly away.

You pick up the case lying at your feet.

You go east.

[Please excuse the placeholder messaging]
[Also, this is only a small part of the project]

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 11:31 PM CDT
This. Is. Awesome.

I'd like to request that some Justice zones have a new crime added: Busking. Can't be accused, must be witnessed by a guard, low-ish fines and confiscation of all money you are currently carrying, including coins in the container at your feet.

Also, how are you going to account for folks collecting money in a container and never picking it up? It seems like there's a chance that this could become a poor-man's money belt, with the caveat that money can't be easily deposited into the container, though it is still a very good way to carry large sums (after accumulating over multiple busking sessions) without risk of theft.

Also also, can you please add a mechanism for us to steal (sharply increased difficulty, which compounds exponentially with subsequent attempts) from a busker's container? I'm guessing you've already got some mechanism in place for folks to give money to a busker (again, risk for a money belt cheat, but I hope it's there), so stealing would be a logical extension. I'd imagine a successful steal would give messaging identical to putting money in, but would actually take money out, and might require some knowledge of SLIP to do. A failed attempt however would be like getting caught shop-lifting, in that you'd be wanted immediately rather than needing to be accused, since there's a crowd watching as you mess up the slight-of-hand and fall on the ground in a pile of stolen coins.

I

"[A]ll PC necromancers are now redeemed good guys..." ~ GM Raesh
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 11:33 PM CDT

That's exciting. Is this just coins, or will it draw from the treasure system as well? Are there any quirky items like a random phone number, crafting materials, or room keys?
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 11:33 PM CDT
Ricinus!

!!

Obviously, as a Bard player this is very exciting.

A couple of questions, which you're within your GM rights to avoid, but I have to ask anyway just in case. First, will this system be in any way tied to Raesh's proposed Inspiration/Presence system for Bards? Second, are there any other plans for Performance besides earning coins/bruises?
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 11:46 PM CDT
>>new crime added: Busking

Yeah, I'm not going to write an entire Busking system, then make it illegal. Though, there are already ways to end up in jail as it currently stands, just not for busking in general.

>>how are you going to account for folks collecting money in a container and never picking it up?

Weight.

>>Is this just coins, or will it draw from the treasure system as well?

Currently coins and gems, and probably will remain at that. That particular test that ended up with a funny circumstance didn't happen to have any gems yet.

>>will this system be in any way tied to Raesh's proposed Inspiration/Presence system for Bards?

Not sure, maybe? (Only vaguely familiar with that)

>>Second, are there any other plans for Performance besides earning coins/bruises?

Oh... there's more... So much more... (Actual amount of more may vary by state)

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/29/2015 11:49 PM CDT

> Request that some Justice zones have a new crime added: Busking.
> account for folks collecting money in a container and never picking it up?
> can you please add a mechanism for us to steal ... from a busker's container?

I'll take neutering an ability before it's even released for 500, Alex.

Specifically,

1) Please don't. Maybe require purchasing a temporary permit or citizenship, but don't make this a crime.

2) How is this different from a treasure box? If it's that much of a concern, just auto-collect when you pick up the container.

3) Please no. This isn't an issue with #2, but if this is added then I want bard thugs. These thugs will beat the person with instruments, tie them up to the stockades with the frayed strings (batman style), soldered jingly toe-bells onto their feet that adds permanent stealth hindrance, and given them the unchangeable title of "one-man band'it". They're treated as open for all bards and paladins who happen to see them, and the drunken hounds of gythtide (a band) follow them around anytime they enter a justice zone (-charisma/hiding/stealing).
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 12:27 AM CDT
>> Yeah, I'm not going to write an entire Busking system, then make it illegal.

I wasn't suggesting everywhere, but it does seem to me like there are a few areas of the game (Throne City comes to mind) that would look down on street performers. On the other hand, there are other areas (Muspar'i comes to mind) that would be favorable toward such performers, and might have some sort of bonus. In any case, I was just suggesting it because I thought it'd be fun/funny. And in my defense, you coded people throwing rocks at our heads. Between running from guards and getting publicly stoned, I'd actually prefer the former.

>> Weight.

Does this mean then that it's a "no" on players being able to tip buskers? In any case, my suggestion would be to force the coins out of the case at some point to prevent abuse. A good method might be to have the busker auto-collect upon finishing (or prematurely stopping) a song.

>> How is this different from a treasure box?

You can't get a single treasure box and keep putting all the coins that a critter drops into it, resulting in one box containing 30 critters worth of treasure.

>> Please no. (re: stealing from buskers)

I just thought it was a cool idea, and in line with being able to steal from open gem pouches. It simply makes sense to me that if someone has a box full of coins in front of them, I should be able to slip a few out if I'm smooth enough. However, the chance of griefing/abuse was why I suggested increased difficulty and exponential increases for subsequent attempts. Using very vague notions of numbers this would mean that if, for example, you had a 100% chance of successfully stealing from Busker, you might have a %50 chance of stealing from his case. After one successful attempt, that chance of success drops to something like 5%, and if you somehow manage that one, the next attempt is so dismal that it's sure to fail. In any case, my intention is not to propose nerfing, but to add depth to what I think sounds like such an awesome addition to the game that I'm having a hard time not using profanity as an adjective for it.

I

Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 12:59 AM CDT
>>Not sure, maybe? (Only vaguely familiar with that)

Here's a quote from Raesh: "The term 'Mojo' is being phased out. In its place are 'Presence' and 'Inspiration' (terms subject to change). Inspiration is the Bards active power pool and will ebb and flow regularly. Presence is the Bards connection to society and controls how much Inspiration they can have and how quickly it recovers. Presence should change slowly and only improve through active effort."
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Bards_3.141592653589793238462643383279_-_5/6/2011_-_16:00:07

Granted, that was some years ago so I don't know if the plans are still in place. What I was wondering was if Performance/busking would have anything to do with the Presence pool, or any other kind of "reputation" system tied to society. I'm just curious.

>>Oh... there's more... So much more... (Actual amount of more may vary by state)

squee!
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 01:10 AM CDT
Well, since at the core of this is playing an instrument, which already interacts with the current mojo system. Any new mojo system will probably take over those interactions. There's already some significant Bard specialsauce getting put into play with Busking, anything above and beyond that in relation to a planned system is up in the air.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 03:09 AM CDT
Any plans to limit the number of buskers in a room at any given time?

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 10:04 AM CDT
>>Oh... there's more... So much more... (Actual amount of more may vary by state)

I look forward to tuba performances played at night resulting in maximum social corruption.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 10:24 AM CDT
>> I look forward to tuba performances played at night resulting in maximum social corruption.

See, this is exactly what I was going for with the suggestion that some (not all) parts of the game make it illegal to busk, but only charge people if a local law NPC witnesses it; I don't want to deter people from busking at all, I want to encourage them to busk wisely. I think of it like this: when I was in Strasbourg, France, it sounded like an eclectic orchestra was playing because every time we turned down another street we'd see someone with an instrument and a case at their feet, from ukuleles to clarinets; meanwhile where I live (in East Lansing, Michigan) if you are seen by an officer with a guitar and an open case, your afternoon is about to become very unenjoyable. Moral of the story: busk in places where culture is more valued than sameness.

I'm still very curious if there will be a mechanism for players to tip buskers, though.

I

Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 10:48 AM CDT
>>Any plans to limit the number of buskers in a room at any given time?

Yep

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 11:53 AM CDT
There was f2p game I played years ago, that any player (since they didn't have classes) could busk/perform in a crowded room and receive coins from the audience. Crowded meaning the room description had an Inn or other common meeting place in it. It was a lot of fun to watch as well as perform.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 12:20 PM CDT
I'm just super excited that the Musical Skills are finally getting something to them.

Really hope that this avenue continues to be developed.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 06:43 PM CDT
>Many more people are stopping by to listen to the performance.
>A few hecklers in the crowd start throwing rocks.
>One of the rocks hits you in the left hand.
>One of the rocks hits you in the right arm.
>One of the rocks hits you in the right hand.

Maaan I hope the amount of damage lobbed at you is based on how poorly you fail. I look forward to see the city of Crossings turn into this sort of dissonant cacophony as Empaths line the streets playing horrible, horrible concerto's just for the glorious wounds.

~It's what I do when I'm an area without vines.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 04/30/2015 10:23 PM CDT

Eh, teaching magic to heal wounds is never really a problem, it's finding the wounds to transfer that causes Empath Zombie Syndrome.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/01/2015 07:47 AM CDT

[Insert series of excited expliditives here] yes.

Thank you.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/06/2015 11:16 AM CDT
I really, really dig this.

Would multiple buskers have a direct play-off, a-la a drum-off? Godsmack has one of those as a staple of their show, and it's pretty epic (https://youtu.be/iJ8-r_hd5PY , if you're interested).

I'd also be really, really happy if there were hecklers that shouted something similar to "Freebird!" or guards walking by that have "No Stairway"-like policies for a song that's played too much.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/06/2015 11:23 AM CDT
>>Would multiple buskers have a direct play-off, a-la a drum-off?

Yep.

>>I'd also be really, really happy if there were hecklers that shouted something similar to "Freebird!"

Well, no shouting, but there is a way for some folks to gauge the crowd to figure out what the crowd might want to hear.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/14/2015 07:14 PM CDT
Maybe already in the works but maybe having some sort of group play could be interesting.

Could limit the room spam if multiple people are playing.

Could add some interesting stuff I haven't really thought about... what if people at different levels join, etc.

eg
>
The sound of a beautiful goose fills the air as Lady Gagawendlyn plays a jig on her kazoo
>
>play jig on my cowbell with X
You join in rythm with Lady Gagawendlyn with your tiny cowbell
>
The sound of a harmonious jig fills the air as a jig played by a group of 2 fills the air
>
(then someone who has not enough performance joins)
>
The sound of a cacaphonous jig asasults your ears as a jig played out of rythm by a group of 3
>
(Or a lot of skilled people join)
>
The sound of a thunderous symphony penetrates the air around you as a symphony of 13 play a jig
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/14/2015 08:59 PM CDT
Two people playing is all that will be handled at one time.

Person A is playing for a crowd. Person B wants to get in on the action and starts playing for tips. The crowd starts to split, gravitating slowly toward whoever is playing what most interests them. Currently, this continues for around 5 songs. Eventually the crowd gets tired of going back and forth and they all end up settling with whoever has the bigger part of the crowd, and the loser won't be able to get the crowd's interest for a little while.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/14/2015 09:02 PM CDT
Honestly all I read there was dueling banjos and I AM SO EXCITED YOU GUYS.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/15/2015 05:05 AM CDT
>dueling banjos

I can already see people asking on the forums if someone taking your crowd gives you consent.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 06:46 PM CDT
That sounds awesome.

Though I will say some way of forming bands or doing a chorus (at some point) would be neat.
Re: A swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 06:58 PM CDT
>forming bands

I've always wanted to form a band in DR that plays nothing but haunting elegies called "Grave Worm" one day I will actually do it.

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 09:49 PM CDT
You sneak west...

[The Crossing, Town Green South]
A gap in the stand of lunat trees leads south into Lunat Shade Road. In that general direction the lights shining from Berolt's Dry Goods, the Town Hall, the soaring presence of the Temple, the Provincial Bank and other key structures can be seen. A few loafers loll on the grass, watching those entering and leaving the green, or laying back to gaze at the night sky. A lone nightingale serenades from the hedges bordering the park, unaware of its appreciative audience. You also see a tiny crowd, a butterfly, some bronze coins, a small chunk of coral, some bronze coins, some copper coins, some silver coins, some bronze coins, some copper coins, some silver coins, some bronze coins, some copper coins and a majestic archway.
Also here: Ricinus.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, south, west, northwest.

glance crowd
The crowd consists of servants and villeins.
You specifically focus on the servants in the crowd as your mark.

glance crowd
The crowd consists of servants and villeins.
You specifically focus on the villeins in the crowd as your mark.

mark crowd
As you consider stealing from a villein, you believe you could likely rob it blind.
You also eye a villein over, trying to discern how much wealth it is carrying.
The villein isn't a particularly lucrative target, and has about a handful of coins.
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

With a stately procession of sound Ricinus continues to play a quiet hymn on his bones.

glance crowd
The crowd consists of servants, villeins, and guards.
You specifically focus on the guards in the crowd as your mark.

mark crowd
As you consider stealing from a guard, you believe she should not prove too difficult to steal from.
You also eye a guard over, trying to discern how much wealth she is carrying.
The guard isn't a particularly lucrative target, and has several handfuls of coins.
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.

steal crowd
You slip into the crowd and start to approach your target.

You're in position to steal now.

With deft authority, Ricinus continues to play a quiet hymn with white-hot intensity.

Many more people are stopping by to listen to the performance.

steal crowd
Moving carefully, you reach your hand into a simple guard's purse and grab a few silvers, several bronze, and many coppers. You quickly pocket the Kronars.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 10:36 PM CDT
>>steal crowd

This looks awesome, please tell me this is going to be released sooner than "Soon".
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 10:57 PM CDT
Wow, that does look awesome.

One concern: will current no steal zones be demarcated as no busking zones as well? Because a lot of places are randomly no steal (like the town green in crossing)
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 11:02 PM CDT
>>will current no steal zones be demarcated as no busking zones as well?

Probably not. Not to say that's the only option out there though.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 11:13 PM CDT
How well would a Thief expect to train using this?
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/16/2015 11:34 PM CDT
>>How well would a Thief expect to train using this?

Too many unknowns right now to have a good idea on that. I'm not building the system specifically as a Thief training station though, just adding in reasonable usage for various ideas. If the crowds thing is popular, and folks have crowds in various rooms, I'd say it could be a decent addition to training.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 01:09 AM CDT

> Too many unknowns right now to have a good idea on that. I'm not building the system specifically as a Thief training station though, just adding in reasonable usage for various ideas. If the crowds thing is popular, and folks have crowds in various rooms, I'd say it could be a decent addition to training.

Will the mob chase the thief away if they suspect (but can't prove) theft? If only cosmetically? Will social outrage be involved if the mob actually catches you stealing?
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 01:15 AM CDT
How does this keep getting awesomer? Isn't there some sort of critical mass-style issue?

I

Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 01:23 AM CDT
>>Will the mob chase the thief away if they suspect (but can't prove) theft?

There are some planned, but not yet fully written, things regarding stealing from crowds. Currently, folks in the crowd will realize they have been robbed whether the thief is caught or not, and in the most simple circumstances some of them will just decide to leave, causing the crowd to shrink. Crowds have a natural growth/decay algorithm anyways, so it may not be terribly noticeable depending on how much activity is going on. And as a crowd sheds and grows anew, its memory of such things fades away.

>>Will social outrage be involved if the mob actually catches you stealing?

No, social outrage is a far more grand idea than what could be produced from just a handful of people being involved in what amounts to a petty crime. Social outrage does factor in to a number of things regarding crowds, it's just not going to generate it for players based on stealing.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 05:46 AM CDT
This...amazing....you are awesome!

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 08:31 AM CDT
I continue to be impressed by the things you're working on Ricinus. Keep up the awesome work.

Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/17/2015 10:31 AM CDT
Sorry for the double post, but it would be cool if crowds of people showed up in Empath PERCEIVE HEALTH (many NPCs and creatures already do.) Probably outside the scope of your project, but just a thought I had. It's always weird when you can't sense NPCs as being alive.

(Also normally if you perceive too many targets for your skill range, you get stunned. I'm a mean person.)

Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/25/2015 11:00 AM CDT
Oh my god all of this looks incredible. And a new way to steal! I could cry.

Before I do that though, I have questions! Will this be a viable way to train stealing? Will this... be a slightly better way to train stealing? Will this train stealing is what I'm asking. While I love the flavor and RP potential, and not to steal the spotlight from bards, I feel as though the current stealing system, especially the way it trains, could use a little bit of touching up.

Otherwise I can't wait for this to go live!
Re: Another swell afternoon in Dev 05/25/2015 02:10 PM CDT
>> Will this be a viable way to train stealing?

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Performance%20Skill/view/334
Prev_page Previous 1