hitting a dangerous situation immediately after watch forest danger 11/27/2018 06:23 AM CST
i thought that this couldn't happen:

You notice an unusual smell drifting through the area.
R>chop tree
You chop the downed tree apart into lumber with your warring axe.
You roll a freshly-cut lelori stick away from the remains of the tree.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

R>watch forest danger
You watch the surrounding trees for signs of danger.
You scan the area and determine that continued lumberjacking here would be somewhat dangerous because an unusual smell hints at an explosion danger. Your analysis has shown a way to significantly reduce the danger by blazing a careful trail and continuing in a new location. To remind yourself and warn other loggers of the danger, you stack a pile of stones as a warning signal.
Roundtime: 14 sec.
R>

R>chop tree
You swing your warring axe towards the tree and and are rewarded with a detonation of sharp wood fragments! Jagged wood lodges into you, leaving bloody gashes and quickly deepening bruises, while the force of the impact knocks you clear off your feet. It would appear you missed some caustic fungus growing around the trunk.
Roundtime: 19 sec.

did I disarm it or not? I am confused

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: hitting a dangerous situation immediately after watch forest danger 11/27/2018 06:59 AM CST
It was at the second level because you chopped after the danger spawned. "Somewhat dangerous" as opposed to "slightly dangerous". When you used "watch forest danger", it dropped it by one level, but didn't clear it.
Re: hitting a dangerous situation immediately after watch forest danger 11/27/2018 11:28 AM CST
ok, thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

I guess i don't understand how much the 'watch forest danger' takes away, i've never had to 'watch forest danger' twice in my lumberjacking career, even after chopping after the first warning. Does the 'watch forest danger' command remove differing levels of danger and i just got the short stick on this one?

I have had issues where 'watch forest danger' wont remove the danger no matter how many times i try. my assumption was the danger was greater than my skill to reduce it. perhaps the danger of this one just allowed me to reduce it slightly (one level)?

just curious

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: hitting a dangerous situation immediately after watch forest danger 11/27/2018 11:39 AM CST
well after writing that i think i figured it out...

i think we can only reduce any particular danger once.

so after the danger increase, i was only able to reduce it by one level, the danger remains forever until blown (or someone else walks in and reduces it). this must be the same situation where i found myself in other rooms, not being able to reduce the danger further, since it must have already had been reduced by me once.

thanks for your help Illiena

Rehlyn

Re: hitting a dangerous situation immediately after watch forest danger 11/27/2018 04:06 PM CST
> so after the danger increase, i was only able to reduce it by one level, the danger remains forever until blown (or someone else walks in and reduces it). this must be the same situation where i found myself in other rooms, not being able to reduce the danger further, since it must have already had been reduced by me once.

Yep, exactly this. Note that chopping when there's danger isn't guaranteed to increase the danger, there's just a chance. So other times you might have gotten lucky and kept the danger at level 1 despite chopping.