Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 11:29 AM CDT
Hi folks,
Back after a break and doing some lumberjack work. Have a question though... Does anyone know if/how groves respawn? Clearing the grove is the obvious one so thats fine but are groves also on a cycle timer if no one harvests them? Can you force it to respawn by cutting it once and then moving on for a bit or something similar?
Cheers,
Arv

The arrow lands a massive (12/23) strike that chills the left knee for a moment with a frosty blow, lightly stunning him.

>>He was a decent Ranger until he took an arrow to the knee.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 11:47 AM CDT
Yes, a grove will eventually repop if ignored for long enough.

> Can you force it to respawn by cutting it once and then moving on for a bit or something similar?

Just the opposite. Chopping the grove activates protection that prevents it from repopping for a time. This is so that it won't change in the middle of someone harvesting it.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 11:59 AM CDT
Thanks. Do you know what the respawn timer is?
Cheers,
Arv

The arrow lands a massive (12/23) strike that chills the left knee for a moment with a frosty blow, lightly stunning him.

Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 12:00 PM CDT
Afraid not.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 12:21 PM CDT
>>Thanks. Do you know what the respawn timer is?

I think it's something like 24-48 hours, but I might be misremembering. My understanding is that the system strongly encourages you to clear out a room if you want it to repop, as opposed to waiting it out.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 01:08 PM CDT
Here is how I remember it worked.
A timer goes off every 5 minutes or so that checks every forest (and mining) room. When it goes off:
1. If the room is cleared out, it immediately refreshes it.
2. If the room has been mined/logged in the past few minutes it doesn't touch it.
3. Otherwise, it rolls a dice and determines whether or not it should refresh it. The formula is weighted so that the longer it has been since a refresh, the more likely it will refresh it now.

That gives you a few strategies.
One popular thing is to run through and prospect/watch every room and see if there is anything good and move on if there isn't.
You could also pick 2-3 rooms near each other and cycle through them, clearing then out and forcing them to refresh. By the time you clear out the 3rd room, the 1st should have refreshed.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 01:11 PM CDT
>>Here is how I remember it worked.

This is how I recall it, too.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 01:50 PM CDT
Thanks all.

Ive covered the entire mainland of wood grove rooms twice today without finding anything useful so I think I might switch to the 2-3 room clearance approach and see if I cant find anything. Honestly feels like the "rare" spawn rate on wood has been nerfed a bit since I was last awake. Hell even the handful of common woods that are useful seem rarer right now. I found 2 cherry groves in the whole mainland and not much else, and I already have a couple of hundred volumes of cherry so I didnt even bother.
Cheers,
Arv

Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/04/2017 02:20 PM CDT
>feels like the "rare" spawn rate on wood has been nerfed a bit since I was last awake.

It's a lot more likely that there are less lumberjacks now than when you were last awake so forests aren't getting repopulated as often as you remember. The 'gold rush' of shaped rare wood bows and tinkered xbows slowed down once the player population adopted them and there isn't as much reason to log now.

With any luck, some rare woods will feature in the craft enchanting system and the consumable nature of enchantments will increase logging.
Re: Lumber grove spawning 10/28/2017 01:15 PM CDT
AFAIK, rare-spawn chance hasn't been touched since release.

If I ever find the time, it would be neat to feature POWER WEEKS where rares have an increased chance of being found for harvesting. We'll just have to see.

And yes, my hope is the consumable nature of enchanting will allow for a higher material burn rate. We'll just have to see.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes