Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 07:25 AM CDT
I was wondering if their are any plans for Aesry to get forests suitable for lumberjacking in the near future. I went looking around the island and couldn't find any available spots.

The two spots I figured would work were:

1. the forest south of sharks
2. the forest north of moss meys
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:33 PM CDT
Another adventurer told me that Zoluren is the only place where Lumberjacking has been approved, currently, when I told them I could not find anywhere on Reshalia to Lumberjack. I guess in time all the provinces will have it.

It ain't over 'til it's over. - Yogi Berra.

It ain't over 'til it's over, and it's over. - Yogi Berra.
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:35 PM CDT
>I guess in time all the provinces will have it.

A list of current locations can be found here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Lumberjacking#Locations

As you can see, it's not just Zoluren. But, yes, Qi is lacking.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:41 PM CDT
>Another adventurer told me that Zoluren is the only place where Lumberjacking has been approved, currently, when I told them I could not find anywhere on Reshalia to Lumberjack. I guess in time all the provinces will have it.

I suspect that it has to do with ROI and forests requiring hand coding per room.

The 3 provinces with the highest player populations (Zoluren, Therengia, Ilithi) have lumberjacking sites currently.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Lumberjacking#Locations

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:43 PM CDT
Why did they exclude Qi?

Therefore send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. - John Donne
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:46 PM CDT
>>I suspect that it has to do with ROI and forests requiring hand coding per room.<<

What is ROI?

Therefore send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. - John Donne
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:51 PM CDT
> What is ROI?

Return On Investment. Apparently implementing forests takes a fair amount of GM time, so it's not worth it to create one where no one will use it.
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 06:52 PM CDT
>>What is ROI?

Return on investment. In short is the amount of work required to code something going to be enjoyed/used by enough players to warrant the effort.

Every room that can be lumberjacked has to be hand coded by Kodius. One forest can take several hours (or more, I don't know since I don't do it) for him to put into the game. He's in charge of a lot of major systems so he put forests where the most people would use them.
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 10:40 PM CDT
>>Return On Investment. Apparently implementing forests takes a fair amount of GM time, so it's not worth it to create one where no one will use it.<<

So in others words, since not enough people are coming out to the islands, they're going have less of a reason for people to want to come out to the islands?

Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 11:33 PM CDT
>So in others words, since not enough people are coming out to the islands, they're going have less of a reason for people to want to come out to the islands?

Come on.

Go scout the island and see if you can find good sections of rooms where the description of the geography supports each of the 4 types of forest. Then post up suggestions of where they might fit in. Coding time is a premium commodity so it's spent where it goes the farthest. I'm sure the plan is to have lumberjackable forests in every province/every landmass but look how long it took to get mines everywhere.

You could also organize and run some events on Aesry to get more warm bodies on the island if you want to raise interest there.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/13/2015 11:34 PM CDT
>>So in others words, since not enough people are coming out to the islands, they're going have less of a reason for people to want to come out to the islands?

I think it's more "Kodius has to decide to make more forests or make more crafting systems" than anything else.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/14/2015 01:34 AM CDT
I know he's said it's on his list, but it's likely quite far down. Eventually he'll get to it, barring burn out.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/15/2015 06:07 PM CDT
Thanks everyone, I know Kodius is a super busy guy and his time is valuable, but this seems like the perfect example for why certain GMs need "interns" to offload a lot of their "tedious" work so they can be free'd up to work larger creative tasks.

Perhaps bring back something like the ALAE (Architects & Landscapers Association of Elanthia) to help with laying forestry throughout the realms?

---
-> "soon" I can live with, but "DR soon"? scares me..
Re: Aesry Forests?? 09/15/2015 07:59 PM CDT
>>Thanks everyone, I know Kodius is a super busy guy and his time is valuable, but this seems like the perfect example for why certain GMs need "interns" to offload a lot of their "tedious" work so they can be free'd up to work larger creative tasks.

My understanding is that the GMs are on the same page as you for having more than one person do what Kodius does, but getting someone isn't an instant thing.

>>Perhaps bring back something like the ALAE (Architects & Landscapers Association of Elanthia) to help with laying forestry throughout the realms?

ALAE is still around but it doesn't do anything like this. If ALAE ever got tools that could flag rooms as a mine/forest/etc, it'll probably be after GMs get those tools.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.