Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 07:41 PM CDT
Hi everyone,
After some time working with lumberjacking, I wanted to see what people thought about more broadly about the system and if I'm maybe doing anything wrong.

First, safety; I find that within 20 minutes of lumberjacking, maybe two rooms, I'm already covered with bleeders. I do "watch forest danger" any time I see danger and usually can correct it, but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I've got all three lumberjacking techs, and for reference I have about 900 in outdoorsmanship and perception and over 600 in appraisal. I feel like it's much less safe than mining but I never mined all that much, so it might not really be all that different. It just doesn't seem sustainable as an activity if I have to go find healing after every room I try to chop up.

Second, finding rares, like the previous topic about the arboreal enlightenment tech, I just don't find rares all much; I have found two sticks of rosewood and one forest of sandalwood which yielded about 40 volumes, but I haven't found of the very rare wood. I've probably spent 50 hours lumberjacking. Any tips for finding rares, or is it completely random?

Thanks for the discussion all!
Reithir

Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 08:16 PM CDT
i just watch forest danger every 3 chops. I have all 3 techs and it seemed like a lot of things that can hurt you don't give warning messages at all. That or they're just too subtle and/or I don't know what I'm looking for. Chopping more than 3 chops without watching for danger and I would get hurt pretty often. 591 perception 468 outdoors 556 appraisal

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 08:18 PM CDT
> First, safety; I find that within 20 minutes of lumberjacking, maybe two rooms, I'm already covered with bleeders.

I can lumberjack for hours and come away unharmed, so it sounds like you're doing something wrong. If you want to lumberjack safely, there are two options:

1) Watch forest danger after every chop. Most will be wasted, but you'll never trigger a danger.

2) Ensure that there's at least a 10 second delay between swings, which gives danger messaging time to proc. Most of the 10 seconds will just be the RT from chopping, but on those times when you get a shorter RT, you'll probably want to find something else to do with your time. Maybe perceive.

> Any tips for finding rares, or is it completely random?

Just random.
Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 08:32 PM CDT
Just to expand on this. I was the OP of the previous topic of that earlier thread.

Currently, that tech tree does not seem to do much, if anything at all.

Back your topic: Watch for danger every TWO chops. This will nullify any possible mishaps 90% of the time. You can chop for hours without injury.

Three chops and checking, and checking every chop is not good. waiting 10 seconds between chops is wasting time.

Stick with checking for danger every TWO chops, you should be good.
Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 08:43 PM CDT
Watch danger every 1-3 chops works well, but I feel it's even safer to just pause 15 seconds between each chop. So if your RT is 6 seconds, wait an extra 9 to see if a disaster message shows up.

I chop/mine a lot slower this way, but I'm pretty much immune to disasters that way.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 08:44 PM CDT
Thanks for the replies everyone; it definitely sounds like I was not watching out for danger nearly enough, I was going like four or five chops and then watching again. I will tinker with all these ideas but definitely watch more often.

Disappointing the techs seem to do so little, especially since it takes three techs; that's a pretty good chunk of techs for us lore tertiaries who are trying to function with shaping as a hobby!

R
Re: Lumberjacking Safety and Effectiveness 07/08/2015 11:46 PM CDT
If you're waiting 15 seconds, you may as well just watch forest danger. With an average chop RT of 7 seconds, give or take, and 5 seconds for watch danger you'll save yourself 3 seconds per chop on average. Plus, when you DO see at 15 seconds, you've wasted an average of 8 seconds waiting, which is about half the RT to fix the problem you'd have started working on right after chopping.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a book of apprentice carving instructions, you are certain that the dire bear is a truly skilled opponent.