Weight of lumber 07/03/2015 04:58 PM CDT
I don't understand the point of allowing lumber to be stacked to 100 pieces before putting on a deed if only someone with a million strength could manage to pick up the lumber to combine it to 100 before you deed it. Or pick it up to put it at their feet once it is undeeded so it was safe.

For example, a stack of 100 pieces of ebony lumber... weighs
7,660 stone. (one piece of lumber is 76 stone)

I apparently cannot lift even 4000 stone in one hand, which make sense. However it is a roadblock to combining lumber or putting it at your own feet.

It is ineffective to have multiple small lumber amount deeds because of the item intensive nature of deed/lumber on your inventory count.

Registers only hold 50 deeds, so that making deeded lumber in quantities of 30 or 40 pieces instead of 100 an ineffective use of your register.

Since you cannot mark and cut lumber (the twine holding lumber together) on the ground yet you cannot pick it up either, you have zero options aside from putting it back on a deed or working with the lumber on the ground (not at your feet since they don't put it at your feet) and it is subject to the janitor.

- An attendant arrives, takes your deed and motions to two burly workers. The workers carefully load some ebony lumber onto a sled, and drag it over in front of you.
- You are not strong enough to pick that up!

While I understand the thought behind making lumber heavy because ...well.. lumber, the weight seems to place unworkable restrictions on dealing with lumber in an inventory friendly way and a safe from the janitor way.

Couldn't lumber weigh a lot less or give the ability to mark a stack of lumber on the ground?

Linett. (Not a lumberjack but I have pruned a few trees for documenting purposes.)
Re: Weight of lumber 07/03/2015 05:14 PM CDT

I think it is one of the problems that impacts engineering in general.

The base item's weight goes into how the final item's stats are generated.

It is still annoying and I wish there was another stat on the lumber/stone that would determine that value, and the final weight, while not making the base item impossible to move.

I also wish stone wasn't the only base item unfairly screwed by not being able to be recombined with similar material.
Re: Weight of lumber 07/03/2015 06:14 PM CDT

This is also a issue with carving as well.

While I understand that it is in the "realm" of realism. Can we get it down to something more manageable?

Bloodwood falls in that same area. at 7000ish for 100.
Re: Weight of lumber 07/03/2015 09:28 PM CDT
I'll adjust the weight and cap to be a little lower. We can't have things combining that people can't pick up.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Weight of lumber 07/03/2015 11:12 PM CDT
Also Kodius foraged woods are coming out a LOT heavier

Examples:
Cherry chopped

1 part = 75 stones

Cherry foraged

1 part = 100 stones

Oak chopped

1 part = 60

Oak foraged

1 part = 80

Spruce chopped

1 part = 50

Spruce foraged

1 part = 66.667
Re: Weight of lumber 07/04/2015 12:13 AM CDT
cut lumber weighs less than raw lumber. Some 10 pieces of cherry lumber will weight a great deal less than 2 thick cherry logs.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a book of apprentice carving instructions, you are certain that the dire bear is a truly skilled opponent.
Re: Weight of lumber 07/04/2015 10:32 AM CDT
Yay Kodius!

Thank you :) Linett (who can stop training her strength now!)
Re: Weight of lumber 07/04/2015 01:40 PM CDT
Ya, ignore that. Was major mix up on data as I was talking to someone and they commented on weight but was comparing limb based on stick weight. Not chopped limb vs foraged limb.
Re: Weight of lumber 07/10/2015 04:57 PM CDT
I ran into the weight issue today while attempting to cut a small stack of lumber to combine with a larger, 77 piece stack already deeded. As the workers dragged it in on a sled when I tapped the deed and I am not strong enough to lift it, I had no way to combine the large stack with additional pieces or to cut it into a smaller, liftable stack. I was wondering if it would be possible to either a) allow combining a stack of lumber in your hands with a stack on the ground or b) to allow marking and cutting of lumber on the ground.
Re: Weight of lumber 07/13/2015 07:36 PM CDT
I hope that this fix is still a work in progress. But I would like to make a few comments.

Lowering the amount of pieces of lumber you can stack together from 100 to 75 is not a workable solution.

First, it doesn't at all help with item counts in the inventory high item count intensive nature of lumberjacking and realistically likely all crafting.

Second, I still cannot pick up a stack of 75 pieces of rosewood lumber. I am fairly strong for an Elf.
I cannot even imagine what trouble someone younger with less training in strength would have with even a stack of 25 pieces of lumber.

If registers would hold twice the amount of # of deeds that they currently do, a quarter increase in deeds that you need to have for the same amount of lumber would be negated.

However lumber still needs to just likely be a great deal lighter than it currently is.

You count out 75 pieces of lumber remaining.
You drop some rosewood lumber.
You are not strong enough to pick that up! (at no encumberance)

Thank you.
Linett
Re: Weight of lumber 07/15/2015 07:04 PM CDT
>>I hope that this fix is still a work in progress. But I would like to make a few comments.

>>Lowering the amount of pieces of lumber you can stack together from 100 to 75 is not a workable solution.

>>First, it doesn't at all help with item counts in the inventory high item count intensive nature of lumberjacking and realistically likely all crafting.

>>Second, I still cannot pick up a stack of 75 pieces of rosewood lumber. I am fairly strong for an Elf. I cannot even imagine what trouble someone younger with less training in strength would have with even a stack of 25 pieces of lumber.

>>If registers would hold twice the amount of # of deeds that they currently do, a quarter increase in deeds that you need to have for the same amount of lumber would be negated.

>>However lumber still needs to just likely be a great deal lighter than it currently is.

What she said.

And Third, both metal-smithing and outfitting have stacks more than 75 or 100 pieces/whatever. The deed problem just gets WORSE the fewer pieces you allow on a deed. They all count double, making crafters the main candidates for the junk yard, even without a burden.

~D.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Singing since before the Guild was restored.
Re: Weight of lumber 09/08/2015 02:29 PM CDT
Can we please have lumber stack up to 100 pieces again?

Any update on looking at the weight issue, Kodius?

I have another suggestion also, for those not strong enough to pick up their lumber. If they work in one of the society crafting rooms, the attendant can put the lumber on the table for them. If the lumber is on the table, they can combine stacks, and work on it as if it was in their hands. This would help out those lacking strength.
Re: Weight of lumber 09/08/2015 02:30 PM CDT
Also, if the tables are used like that it should avoid janitor mechanics.