Axe updates? 01/19/2015 06:28 AM CST
Hi, Kodius -

Any update on allowing more axes? I tried with the (i think) warring axe (2-handed) sold at Fiona's in Shard, and receive the similar "you need to use an axe or saw" message.

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
A sudden burst of oily smelling air strikes you in the face.
Re: Axe updates? 01/20/2015 01:30 AM CST
Tonight I finished the bow crafting mechanics and took the first bow completely through the system with tools, events, messaging and final stat assignment. Just need to add the remaining templates and I can get it setup for testing in DRT.

Then it is onto fletching, wood accessories and furniture. Maybe shields and wooden weapons if time allows. Gotta restock some of the stores with the new tools and add them to blacksmithing I guess too.

Somewhere in there I'll add checks for the remaining axe types!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Axe updates? 01/20/2015 04:27 AM CST
Awesome, as usual! Thanks for the response, and the work!

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
Re: Axe updates? 01/20/2015 08:33 AM CST
>Tonight I finished the bow crafting mechanics and took the first bow completely through the system with tools, events, messaging and final stat assignment. Just need to add the remaining templates and I can get it setup for testing in DRT.
Your pace is astonishing, great update!

>Then it is onto fletching, wood accessories and furniture. Maybe shields and wooden weapons if time allows. Gotta restock some of the stores with the new tools and add them to blacksmithing I guess too.
Wooden shields? Are they just for practice, or will they actually offer some type of parallel to metal large and leather small shields?

And FLETCHING!

-Andrew <-Super excited at News!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Axe updates? 01/23/2015 03:42 PM CST
Wooden shields...hmmmmmm. Block an edged weapon with a wooden shield. Chance that your opponents weapon lodges in your shield. You then can use disarm maneuver. Make it a strength test with it weighted towards the shield holder. One of three outcomes.

1)You pull weapon from opponent and knock them off balance. Weapon stuck in your shield, maybe make shield less effective?
2)They pull the shield from you but have to remove the shield in order to use that weapon. You become off balance.
3)Weapon pulls from the shield. Both become off balance.

Off balancing has a chance of knocking you on your behind too.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Axe updates? 01/27/2015 10:52 AM CST

Is there any chance that "greataxe" weapons will work?
Re: Axe updates? 01/27/2015 01:34 PM CST
GM Kodius said he had plans to expand the nouns, and I sent him a list of ones that we'd come up with so far. Greataxe was one of them.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Axe updates? 01/27/2015 11:38 PM CST
The servers were having some trouble earlier, so DRT may be down for a bit. I do have an update to ax-checking for folks to test when it comes back up.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Axe updates? 01/27/2015 11:58 PM CST
Ok. Should be back up with the new checks. Please let me know if you see any issues with it!

Re: Axe updates? 01/28/2015 01:05 PM CST
The hurling axe I reported a problem with before (double-headed hurling axe with a silverwood handle) is working fine now. Thanks!

~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Axe updates? 01/28/2015 01:50 PM CST
Good to go with greataxe too! Thanks Kodius!

I did notice a typo:

With renewed vigor you slam your Dwarven greataxe into the tree's heartwood. The tree wobbles, and collapses towards the missing wedge cut deep within it. You hollar, "Timber!" as it crashes to the ground.

Should be holler, I think.

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
Re: Axe updates? 02/05/2015 01:45 PM CST

Late to the party, I don't read the forums enough.

>> Maybe shields and wooden weapons if time allows.

If shaping gets shields, and carving doesn't end up with bone shields, after I picked it as a hobby solely for that reason, I'm going to be a little sour. Any chance we're going to be allowed to forget a hobby or career at any point?
Re: Axe updates? 02/06/2015 07:13 PM CST
I believe I read a post from a GM somewhere that bone/stone was basically created as a stop gap to open up engineering skill. It was never intended to be a full system. That whole system is severely lacking and was never followed up on. IE, feats never released, no reinforcing, etc etc.
Re: Axe updates? 02/06/2015 09:14 PM CST

Kodius intended, by his words at one point, to have bone shields fill the niche of medium sized shield crafting. This is when I picked it up as a hobby, for that reason. Then later he decided, apparently, to scrap the idea. This is the foundation of my problem.

As an aside, what you're saying is an entire discipline of crafting was created solely for a way to release engineering as a skill, and never meant to be useful? That doesn't sound like something they would invest that kind of time in, as opposed to letting engineering wait to be released. It's not like the skill itself was a necessity. Plenty of things go unfinished, as carving has. Doesn't mean it was intended to, just that our coding GMs, especially Kodius in this case, have a lot on their plates and have to prioritize. Anyone out there that can lend any credibility to this claim that carving was just meant to be the useless bastard child of engineering?
Re: Axe updates? 02/06/2015 09:17 PM CST
Per Kodius at the time, engineering was designed with a little bit of everything, so that it could be used as a test bed for future systems. After this, bone carving was added in.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Axe updates? 02/07/2015 04:48 PM CST
Heh, let me clarify that a bit.

STONE carving was the first crafting system, and by its very nature could never BE an entire crafting Discipline. STONE carving was my test bed for the first Core mechanics, tool system, events, prestige, work orders and so on.

Bone Carving was later added as a larger system for the Carving Discipline. It featured more things to craft (particularly bone armor) as a result. But it is NOT complete. None of the crafting systems likely will ever be totally complete (just like Guilds, combat, magic, etc) I just didn't have the luxury of spending another year polishing it when there are 10 other systems demanding my time.

I'll see about finishing up shields once the bow crafting stuff is out.

Re: Axe updates? 02/07/2015 05:01 PM CST

<<I'll see about finishing up shields once the bow crafting stuff is out.

Both of these are positive things. Any updates on where bow stuff is at?
Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 05:39 PM CST
Just pushed some of it to DRT. Arrowmaking will be fairly big project though, so I expect to spend a few weeks on it.

Also discovered I can't easily push forests out - so will have to spend hours putting them in the live instances by hand. sigh

Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 05:59 PM CST
When you watch forest it does not give any info on the wood type that you will get like we get metal and rock type with mining. Can this be added.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 06:33 PM CST
>>When you watch forest it does not give any info on the wood type that you will get like we get metal and rock type with mining. Can this be added.

That would be fantastic.

Experience gain for lumberjacking still seems really low when compared to mining.

Also, once I refine and combine my lumber I can't mark it for cutting down into smaller pieces.

>>mark lumb at 4
>>You can not make marks on the maple lumber.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Bonecutter of M'riss
Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 07:20 PM CST
Ok MARK should be updated.

Checking on why the wood type isn't showing up and on the exp issues.

Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 07:38 PM CST
Ok. WATCH forest should be able to show the tree type present now on a good success. Also bumped the exp quite a bit...

Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 08:10 PM CST
It is showing up now except that everywhere is saying that you can find ash trees.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Axe updates? 02/08/2015 11:10 PM CST
>It is showing up now except that everywhere is saying that you can find ash trees.
hah, I thought that was just on purpose, since it is an easy wood to work with. Thought Kodius was corralling us to use ash to simplify de-bugging...heh. But yea, I can confirm that the northern Mistwood & North Road forests were just showing as 'ash' as well too.

I didn't notice any EXP adjustment on CHOP TREE when I was harvesting some test wood. That would have been at around 9:3pm MDT.

I'm going to do another harder bow next, but I used the chapter 2, page 1 toy bow as my 1st project. Everything went super smooth, messaging was very clear, except for when I needed the rasp.

Maybe it was a syntax thing, but either my bow was trying to rub my rasp, or I was getting a response that I should be using a hide scraper (yea, hide, ugh). And I was trying all sorts of combinations of SCRAPE, RUB, CARVE, SHAPE. I finally just skipped over that step with a knife and moved on.

And a request, with needing the 'carving knife', could we also include 'outdoor knife' on the list for eligible knives?

So far I think it looks good. I can see how folks will be ignoring sticks when harvesting wild wood though, the 6-step preparation from raw to lumber is going to make that pretty tedious on anything that isn't rare and worth the time to keep every piece. I think the number of steps to create the bow itself is good though, I didn't feel like I was there forever making it.

~~Kythryn~~
Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:23 AM CST
>>And a request, with needing the 'carving knife', could we also include 'outdoor knife' on the list for eligible knives?

There is unfortunately no good way to differentiate knives, other than by name - and we have tons of those. For example, I could divide it so you have "skinning knives" and everything else, but I'm sure there are some skinning knives that aren't named as such...

Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:24 AM CST
ok, thanks for the explanation!

~~Kythryn~~
Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:28 AM CST
>>I can see how folks will be ignoring sticks when harvesting wild wood thoug

I figure the 3 lumberjacking techniques might give a random boost to foraged wood, allowing you to find higher quality sticks from time to time without going through the process of cutting down trees. Seems more Rangerly.

These techniques will also bonus lumberjacking actions which gives them more purpose.

Some craftables will be able to use raw wood. Fishing poles and the like. No need to cut down trees to make a fishing pole.

Engineering Societies will also have table saws capable of preparing wood much quicker :P Gotta give you some incentives for visiting them!

I don't intend for foraged wood to compete with lumberjacking. But it can be a nod to the old system. Keeping something familiar around, and Mags in business ;)

Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:42 AM CST
>I don't intend for foraged wood to compete with lumberjacking. But it can be a nod to the old system. Keeping something familiar around, and Mags in business ;)

Makes sense...thanks again for explaining!

On a different note, while I was reading your post, I just had that "vanishing forest" bug happen again. This is an exact copy/paste from the game window:

>watch forest
You look at the forest around you.
You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a decent number remains to be found.
Studying the forest, you are certain that continued lumberjacking will be quite safe.
This area contains a coniferous forest.
You are certain that ash trees can be harvested here.
Loggers stand ready to trade wood in for deeds. Just PUSH any lumberjacked wood, and they'll take care of the rest.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
>exp

Circle: 125
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Perception: 732 03% dabbling (1/34) Outdoorsmanship: 1016 31% dabbling (1/34)
Appraisal: 647 92% dabbling (1/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 2395
Time Development Points: 789 Favors: 26 Deaths: 71 Departs: 32
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
>chop tree
You smack your axe into some brush nearby, but are unable to find a tree large enough to produce usable wood.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
>chop tree
Despite thoroughly exploring the area you fail to find any trees to chop.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>watch forest
You see evidence of mature trees and are certain no trees are available for harvesting.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
>

~~Kythryn~~
Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:01 PM CST
Okay, I can mark my lumber but then I can't seem to cut it into smaller pieces.

>>mark lumb at 1
>>You count out 1 lengths of lumber and mark two portions of string for repackaging it with.

>>get wood saw
>>You get a woodcutting saw from inside your leather haversack.

>>cut lumb with my saw
>>You stop, realizing that should only be used on raw wood.

Also, it seems like we get some exp from using the WATCH verb but then nothing from the CHOP verb so I end up with empty mindstates by the time I finish clearing a room of lumber.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Tinkerer of Elanthia
Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:21 PM CST
Try scissors?
Re: Axe updates? 02/09/2015 12:27 PM CST
I tried cutting with a wood saw, bone saw, and scissors with no luck. Also tried just breaking the lumber.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Tinkerer of Elanthia
Re: Axe updates? 02/10/2015 12:40 AM CST
Ok I just failed to push out the BREAK changes. Probably a missing variable causing ASH trees to be everywhere. Got hung up with RL work today. I'll push some updates tomorrow. Thanks for all the testing!

Re: Axe updates? 02/11/2015 12:41 AM CST
Marking lumber and breaking it by cutting it with scissors is now fixed in Test.

Also fixed the WATCH FOREST tree identification issues.

Re: Axe updates? 02/11/2015 11:05 AM CST
Kodius,

It's still happening that the trees identified by watch forest are not the trees you harvest.

See below:
You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a substantial number remains to be found.
Studying the forest, you are certain that continued lumberjacking will be quite safe.
This area contains a coniferous forest.
You are certain that ash trees can be harvested here.
Loggers stand ready to trade wood in for deeds. Just PUSH any lumberjacked wood, and they'll take care of the rest.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
R>get hand axe
You get a hand axe from inside your grey backpack.
>chop tree
The fallen tree's thick bark provides little protection from the strokes of your hand axe.
You roll a freshly-cut cedar branch away from the remains of the tree.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Axe updates? 02/12/2015 01:03 AM CST
Not sure why things reverted. It seems to be working OK again for me. Please give it another look when possible?

Also fixed deeds while I was at it.