Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 12:43 PM CST
Toyed around with this for a bit, from what I've seen the messaging looks great and the materials seem to spawn fine/last long enough. The dangers seem to be working well, I've purposefully not avoided them just so I could look and see how they work. I just have a few questions and one suggestion whenever you get a moment.

Q: Will there be a way to see exactly what type of trees are available in an area using WATCH FOREST like you can during mining?

Q: Have all the foragable wood types been added/considered? Bloodwood, silverwood, copperwood, mistwood, etc?

Q: When you say "very rare" is this considering materials like smokewood, gloomwood, etc. etc.?

S: Is there a way to expand from the "axe" noun to also include "hatchet" items? Maybe lengthen the RT using an axe and increase the sizes material gained while allowing for shorter RT on hatchets with more chance for smaller pieces? Kinda like mining with shovel and pickaxe does.
(There is a "woodcutters hatchet available at the General Store in Kaerna which would make sense to use for lumberjacking.)

Overall, it's clean and pretty straightforward to do. Good work!

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 03:36 PM CST

Here are some wood types I've found so far:

You get a oak limb from inside your brocade backpack.
!> app limb careful
You are certain that the oak limb has a quality of 97, placing it at 'nearly perfect' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has a durability of 80, placing it at 'great durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has a workability of 60, placing it at 'not very difficult to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has a hardness of 80, placing it at 'quite hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has an stiffness of 60, placing it at 'rather stiff' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has a physical resistance of 49, placing it at 'somewhat good at resisting rupture' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has an affinity of 80, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making shortbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has an affinity of 50, placing it at 'moderate affinity for making long bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb has an affinity of 42, placing it at 'rather poor affinity for making composite bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the oak limb weighs exactly 540 stones.
You are certain that the oak limb is worth exactly 1469 Lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

!> app limb careful
You are certain that the cherry limb has a quality of 92, placing it at 'very high quality' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has a durability of 70, placing it at 'good durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has a workability of 75, placing it at 'rather easy to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has a hardness of 30, placing it at 'somewhat soft' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has an stiffness of 51, placing it at 'moderately stiff' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has a physical resistance of 42, placing it at 'somewhat good at resisting rupture' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has an affinity of 85, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making shortbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has an affinity of 65, placing it at 'good affinity for making long bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb has an affinity of 70, placing it at 'very good affinity for making composite bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the cherry limb weighs exactly 675 stones.
You are certain that the cherry limb is worth exactly 1895 Lirums.
!R>

!R> app branch careful
You are certain that the osage branch has a quality of 96, placing it at 'nearly perfect' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has a durability of 80, placing it at 'great durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has a workability of 20, placing it at 'very difficult to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has a hardness of 82, placing it at 'quite hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has an stiffness of 58, placing it at 'moderately stiff' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has a physical resistance of 64, placing it at 'very good at resisting rupture' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has an affinity of 80, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making shortbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has an affinity of 85, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making long bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch has an affinity of 60, placing it at 'good affinity for making composite bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the osage branch weighs exactly 190 stones.
You are certain that the osage branch is worth exactly 581 Lirums.

You can watch forest danger to try and find ways around danger, like in mining.

Suggestion I delivered via chatter:

Once you finish harvesting a felled tree, some flavor text saying the tree was finished would be good before you just start hammering into a new tree. The transition felt awkward.
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 04:35 PM CST
>The dangers seem to be working well, I've purposefully not avoided them just so I could look and see how they work.

I ran into that thing where no matter what you can't clear the danger (725 outdoorsmanship, ten minutes of spamming 'watch forest danger'). I didn't think I'd missed a 'youre about to fail' message prior to it but obviously I'm not too experienced with those messages for lumberjacking yet so natch, but it wasn't much different from mining. That's my feedback.

Oh and I only really checked out one area (adan'f) and it was ALL boreal, then I went up to Darkwhatever and it was coniferous but I didn't check many rooms. As much as it makes sense to have only boreal rooms in a boreal forest, for the purposes of gameplay I hope there's more mixed wood forests than my super small sample size is showing.
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 10:23 PM CST
>I ran into that thing where no matter what you can't clear the danger...

I just ran into this as well. The one I got "stuck" on was the 2nd danger in that room. I successfully WATCH FOREST DANGER on the first one, a minute or two later got the "explosion" warning, and I've been unable to successfully clear it after about 20 tries.

~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 10:44 PM CST
>I just ran into this as well. The one I got "stuck" on was the 2nd danger in that room. I successfully WATCH FOREST DANGER on the first one, a minute or two later got the "explosion" warning, and I've been unable to successfully clear it after about 20 tries.

Was the explosion one I got stuck on as well.
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 10:47 PM CST
Also...
>>You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a substantial number remains to be found.

Will there be areas with young trees, adult trees, etc.? What does that mean? More flexible, less flexible?
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 12:51 AM CST
More comments (sorry for the multiple posts!).

>Obsidian Pass
I checked all the rooms on the test server I could find that had "Obsidian Pass" in their [Room Name], both north and south of the gondola, and none of them had a WATCH FOREST available.

>Wyvern Forest
I'm a nubbin', but I have no idea where this is. I did some spot testing on Wyvern Mountain (where the various wyvern hunting areas are), the favor path (it's a trail), different spots around Ilithi. Anyone know where this one is? I did however find a couple more that weren't on the original list, been adding them to epedia:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Lumberjacking#Locations

>You will still use scissors to MARK/CUT off pieces of lumber and will be able to COMBINE lumber once that goes live.
So this was there with the initial release of Remedies too (using the scissors), but you eventually dropped needing scissors and just let us MARK & BREAK herbs. Not to be That Guy, but I'm going to be...:P. Since we're dealing with big branches and limbs and logs, wouldn't it make more sense to use the yardstick to MARK and a saw to CUT? And if not, maybe just drop needing a tool to CUT with altogether? True, with the nifty auto-stow on materials, it might not matter too much. But, it's nice to avoid things dropping on the ground while you're stuck in RT.

~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 09:57 AM CST
>>Since we're dealing with big branches and limbs and logs

You aren't physically modifying the wood, but rather cutting the rope holding the pieces together. This is described when you break bone stacks for example. I can consider removing the scissor requirements.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 09:59 AM CST
>>Will there be areas with young trees, adult trees, etc.? What does that mean? More flexible, less flexible?

For the moment that is just messaging. When I expand mining and lumberjacking I may expand upon it.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes