RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 07:23 AM CST
Had a few moments, popped into test to give it a spin. Two things leaped out at me immediately:
1: The below occured, yes I was changed both roundtimes for the 1 command.

>chop tree
Loud thunks reverberate as your sterak axe impacts the tree before you.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

R>
You scan the area and determine that it is not suitable for mining.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

2: There doesn't seem to be any experience gain for actual chopping, and extremely minimal for Watch/Danger

Otherwise, neat. Thank you

Samsaren
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 08:11 AM CST
I appraised some of the wood, and I see this:

You are certain that the spruce branch has an affinity of 40, placing it at 'rather poor affinity for making shortbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the spruce branch has an affinity of 35, placing it at 'poor affinity for making long bows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the spruce branch has an affinity of 40, placing it at 'rather poor affinity for making composite bows' on the official Trader's Scale.

Should those be something more than just "affinity"? Maybe "shortbow affinity", "long bow affinity" and "composite bow affinity"?
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 08:12 AM CST
Oh, and it seems that wood isn't tagged as a crafting material for rummage:

>rum /c branch backpack
You rummage through a waxed leather backpack looking for something similar to "branch" and see a short spruce branch, a short spruce branch, a long spruce branch, a short spruce branch, a long spruce branch, a short spruce branch, a long spruce branch, a short spruce branch, a short spruce branch, a short spruce branch and a short spruce branch.

>rum /m backpack
You rummage through a waxed leather backpack looking for crafting materials and see a tiny silver nugget, a small silver nugget and a huge silver nugget.
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 07:54 PM CST
>>There doesn't seem to be any experience

This should route through the mining core exp calcs. Actual mining/lumberjacking actions teach based on the workability of what you are mining. How much skill do you have?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 08:15 PM CST
>This should route through the mining core exp calcs. Actual mining/lumberjacking actions teach based on the workability of what you are mining. How much skill do you have?

Strength : 55 Reflex : 55
Agility : 55 Charisma : 55
Discipline : 52 Wisdom : 53
Intelligence : 53 Stamina : 52
Perception: 619 79% clear (0/34)
Outdoorsmanship: 725 85% clear (0/34)
Appraisal: 574 57% clear (0/34)

I really wasn't learning anything from lumberjacking either...Adan'f area. I think I was getting a trickle of appraisal/percep/outdoor from WATCH FOREST room to room, but that might have been left over from other stuff honestly. I'll check later.

I definitely get outdoorsmanship from mining normally.
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 08:27 PM CST
Kodius,

My skills weren't updated to prime so I in test I had 421 outdoorsmanship, 320something in perception. I was using a hand axe from Crossing Weaponsmith.
Also, unless I did watch forest, I didn't learn anything in outdoorsmanship, perception or appraisal, or when I averted a disaster.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 09:54 PM CST
Very cool, been playing with this a bit, it looks pretty solid! I think a few of these suggestions were mentioned before, but I'm seconding them...:)
And I am working with 1016 Outdoorsmanship, 731 perception, 647 Appraisal & 70 Wisdom.

1. Not all "axes" work.
>You glance down to see a double-headed hurling axe with a silverwood handle in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.
>CHOP TREE
>Despite your best efforts, you fail to make any progress. Perhaps you should try again with an actual lumberjacking tool, like a wood saw or axe.
(my battle axe with a deobar handle capped by a carved dragon's head worked fine)

2. I'd really like to see that 2nd line show us what specific tree types are in that room too.
>You look at the forest around you.
>You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a substantial number remains to be found.

3. Deeding, either via the PUSH option or with a packet, not working.

4. I thought the rate of learning Outdoors. was comparable to mining. Because we don't see specific tree types in the WATCH, I guess I can see the Appraisal learning being appropriate, but it does seem lower than PROSPECT rates.

5. I wish there was a little more distinction between "tree" rooms and "tapped" rooms. For example, once I cleared a room and did a WATCH FOREST, had the expected result from an "untapped" room:
>You see evidence of mature trees and are certain no trees are available for harvesting.
But, if I would do a CHOP TREE after that, I would get messages like:
>Loud thunks reverberate as your battle axe impacts the tree before you.
I kind of feel like the messaging for an "empty" room shouldn't mention trees when you do a CHOP...:) Maybe it could be something more like:
>Loud scraping sounds reverberate as your battle axe slides along the tree stump before you.

6. This is specific to the Wylder Spring area, but you can climb the cottonwood tree there, and it's still part of the lumberjack area. So, I was pulling down oak branches while sitting in the cottonwood tree. heh.

7. I had this happen a couple times, and I'm not sure I can articulate it right, but I feel like something is buggy about it. So I go to a room and:
>watch forest
>You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a substantial number remains to be found.
>Studying the forest, you are certain that continued lumberjacking will be quite safe.
>This area contains a boreal forest.
>Loggers stand ready to trade wood in for deeds. Just PUSH any lumberjacked wood, and they'll take care of the rest.
I start CHOPping, and after 10-15 times and no woods drop, I do another:
>watch forest
>You see evidence of mature trees and are certain no trees are available for harvesting.
I checked my log, there were no missed messages for DANGER events, and in none of my swings was there any sort of "failure" message. It just went from there being things to chop to not things to chop. Now that being said, I haven't yet seen the "collapse" danger event show up yet. Maybe it was happening but not giving any messages on the player side?

And for the folks following the different woods, I did find alder, aspen, larch and tamarak and put the appraisals on the epedia page (https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Crafting_materials#Common_Wood)
~~Kythryn~~
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/21/2014 10:16 PM CST
I'm going to amend this:
>4. I thought the rate of learning Outdoors. was comparable to mining.

There were times when I was learning great, however I just noticed as I was making my way down the Darkling Wood road, that even though I was finding something in each room, I was only at 3/34.

Does the difficulty of the wood have an impact on the learning? I never really noticed that with mining, other than more rare materials were harder to spot with your initial PROSPECT than the common ones. But, when I noticed my Outdoors. was learning well, I'd just found larch and then tamarak. Right now, sitting at 2/34, I've been finding ash, pine, apple, etc.

Or maybe you have to clear out a room to get the whole EXP amount? And if that is the case, I'd like to nominate it be changed to a per-wood award instead of a room clear award.

Now that I think about it, when I was learning ok, I was in rooms that were out of combat too. I can't imagine why that would matter, but maybe lumberjacking doesn't play well with evading...:P

~~Kythryn~~
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 11:12 PM CST
-Ok, so all the Outdoorsmanship learning notes I made from yesterday...none of it was from chopping trees apparently. I'm so used to the EXP drain when you log into Prime, there must have been some skills active when my test-server copy was made. In today's tests, I'm not moving Outdoors. at all and Perception or Appraisal will get to 1/34, all when starting from clear.

-Definitely would be good to have different messaging when you can't harvest in an area:
>watch forest
You look at the forest around you.
You feel certain this area contains no trees to lumberjack.
>chop tree
You hack your battle axe at a tree working to cut a wedge near its base.

-On the original places list to check out, there were a couple different Mistwood Forest locations. Was it an oversight or intentional to have no forests in the section of [Mistwood Forest] between the ledge/shrub/peer path and the river (nightreaver/nightweaver unyn hunting)?

-After another day playing around, I have still only seen the insect/plant danger message (A monotonous buzzing sound fills the air.) and the explosion message (You notice an unusual smell drifting through the area.).

-I checked all the places I could find from the original list, and never ran across a TROPICAL forest. I'm not surprised by that, I would imagine those being on the islands and perhaps something like the Muspar'i Oasis. Just noting this down in case for some reason, one of those on the list was actually supposed to be tropical...:P

-And, I wasn't going to spend too much more time on the test server felling trees and letting them re-spawn to try and "catch everything", but I thought it might help to have a quick list of woods that are in the current system but that the test-server players haven't found yet.
*bloodwood
*copperwood
*mahogany
*mistwood
*rosewood
*silverwood
*teak

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Crafting_Materials#Common_Wood
(there were a few more I found and added tonight for folks interested)

~~Kythryn~~
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 11:15 PM CST

Wow. Kythryn, *thank you*.
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/22/2014 11:21 PM CST
Hey, anything to avoid updating maps!
(snickers)

There were a lot of things added yesterday by other folks, my OCD just pushed me into following up on more. I will say this looks like it'll be a pretty solid release once Kodius has the time to work out the handful of bugs. I thought that about mining too, new ways to learn boring skills, maybe get some useful stuff from it. And anything that brings us closer to Tinkering is a good thing, right?!

~~Kythryn~~
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 08:39 AM CST
>>Ok, so all the Outdoorsmanship learning notes I made from yesterday...none of it was from chopping trees apparently. I'm so used to the EXP drain when you log into Prime, there must have been some skills active when my test-server copy was made. In today's tests, I'm not moving Outdoors. at all and Perception or Appraisal will get to 1/34, all when starting from clear.

I'll double check the exp when I can. AFAIK the difficulty is based on the workability of the wood or ore being logged or mined. But perhaps I'll add some guaranteed experience for a success.

>>Definitely would be good to have different messaging when you can't harvest in an area:

Yup, I'll get that fixed up here soon.

>>On the original places list to check out, there were a couple different Mistwood Forest locations. Was it an oversight or intentional to have no forests in the section of [Mistwood Forest] between the ledge/shrub/peer path and the river (nightreaver/nightweaver unyn hunting)?

There are about 30 other spots I need to add/expand upon still.

>>I checked all the places I could find from the original list, and never ran across a TROPICAL forest. I'm not surprised by that, I would imagine those being on the islands and perhaps something like the Muspar'i Oasis. Just noting this down in case for some reason, one of those on the list was actually supposed to be tropical...:P

These are more likely to be found on the islands.

>>And, I wasn't going to spend too much more time on the test server felling trees and letting them re-spawn to try and "catch everything", but I thought it might help to have a quick list of woods that are in the current system but that the test-server players haven't found yet.
*bloodwood
*copperwood
*mahogany
*mistwood
*rosewood
*silverwood
*teak

Teak, Rosewood and Mahogany are in, though somewhat rare. Xwood will be in once I finish setting up their stats, as rare wood.

Thank you for being thorough!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 12:42 PM CST
Is it possible for greataxes to be considered suitable axes?

You move a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade to your right hand.
>watch forest
You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a substantial number remains to be found.
Studying the forest, you are certain that continued lumberjacking will be quite safe.
This area contains a coniferous forest.
Loggers stand ready to trade wood in for deeds. Just PUSH any lumberjacked wood, and they'll take care of the rest.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R>chop tree
Despite your best efforts, you fail to make any progress. Perhaps you should try again with an actual lumberjacking tool, like a wood saw or axe.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
A sudden burst of oily smelling air strikes you in the face.
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 02:38 PM CST
>Is it possible for greataxes to be considered suitable axes?

I'm pretty sure this just checks to see if it's an edged weapon, and if it's noun is "axe." This would also be why throwing axe seem not to work.

Here's a list of some of the other nouns that we might want to see made valid:

hatchet
greataxe
broadaxe

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 03:06 PM CST
Seems to be a lingering mining gig around:

Using the watch forest command.

You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a scattering of trees remains to be found.
Studying the forest, you are certain that continued lumberjacking will be quite safe.
This area contains a deciduous forest.
>You recognize some markings on the wall pointing to a safer mining angle as your own.<
Loggers stand ready to trade wood in for deeds. Just PUSH any lumberjacked wood, and they'll take care of the rest.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 06:10 PM CST
Re:
1. Not all "axes" work.
>You glance down to see a double-headed hurling axe with a silverwood handle in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.
>CHOP TREE
>Despite your best efforts, you fail to make any progress. Perhaps you should try again with an actual lumberjacking tool, like a wood saw or axe.
(my battle axe with a deobar handle capped by a carved dragon's head worked fine)

Just trying out lumberjacking. Although "You can use any weapon with 'axe' as the noun to lumberjack with," this axe I grabbed doesn't seem to work...

>tap axe
You tap a steel war axe with a gnarled maple grip that you are holding.
>app axe
A steel war axe with a gnarled maple grip is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.
(not swappable)

>watch forest
You see evidence of mature trees and are certain a small number remains to be found.
This area contains a boreal forest.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

Meven carefully scrutinizes her surroundings, picks up some twigs and creates a marker pointing to a grove of mature trees.

>chop tree (in a room with my wife actively chopping wood)
Despite your best efforts, you fail to make any progress.
Perhaps you should try again with an actual lumberjacking tool, like a wood saw or axe.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
>chop tree
Despite your best efforts, you fail to make any progress.
Perhaps you should try again with an actual lumberjacking tool, like a wood saw or axe.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Thanks for this system, my Rangers are really psyched!

~ Turnip Farmer Muksak the Tog Ranger
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 07:52 PM CST
My assumption is that throwing axes aren't working right now.

As for the other one... uh...

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 12/23/2014 10:34 PM CST
Hey Kodius, thanks for giving us all some feedback! This is a crazy-busy week for most folks (at least around here it is) so it's nice of you to take the time right now to give all us lumberjack-enthusiasts (heh, I'm not ever going to be able to type out lumberjacking without snickering like a 10-year old either) some more insight into the new system.

>There are about 30 other spots I need to add/expand upon still.
Very cool! Sorry if it seemed like a critique, I was just writing down "oddities" as I came across them. You'd created a FOREST in all the other sections of the Mistwood Forest but that small bit, so it was meant in more of a "huh, odd" way than a "hey you, fix this!" way. :)

>AFAIK the difficulty is based on the workability of the wood or ore being logged or mined.

Just now I first did a run through in PRIME LIVE, using the 13 "safe" Ice Cave mining rooms in Ilithi, and only did a PROSPECT. Just from that:
Athletic: 705 91% [ 1/34]
Perc: 731 82% [ 3/34]
Outdoors: 1016 39% [ 3/34]
Appraise: 647 68% [ 3/34]

In comparison, in PRIME TEST, I ran Kyth along the 15 rooms of the Mistwood Forest Road from the North Road to the rope bridge, doing a WATCH FOREST. From that:
Perception: 731 99% learning (3/34)
Outdoorsmanship: 1016 28% thoughtful (4/34)
Appraisal: 647 85% learning (3/34)

To me, that looks comparable.

However, after I cleared out EXP, I then did CHOP TREE on a room in TEST until it was "tapped" with the following results:
- short oak branch x5
- oak limb x2
- oak log x3
- long oak branch x3
Resulting in:
No skills have field experience or none meet your criteria!

Near the end of the room clear, I did have one danger event, so I did a WATCH FOREST DANGER, with the results then being:
Perception: 732 00% dabbling (1/34)
Outdoorsmanship: 1016 29% dabbling (1/34)
Appraisal: 647 87% dabbling (1/34)

Then I returned to PRIME LIVE, and did a full mining clear with a pickaxe on a room of PUMICE & IRON, with the following results (no danger events):
pumice boulder x1
pumice stone x5
pumice pebble x5
large pumice rock x1
small pumice rock x2
tiny iron nugget x1
small iron nugget x4
medium iron nugget x4
large iron nugget x2
massive iron nugget x1
Resulting in:
Perc: 731 84% [ 1/34]
Outdoors: 1016 41% [34/34]
Appraise: 647 70% [ 1/34]

I feel it is fair that you will learn more learn more from mining since you are finding 2 items (stone and ore), however no matter how easy OAK is to find, I also feel that it should have at least taught something. However, as my EXP reflects, it did not move off clear during the entire room felling, only once I had the opportunity to use a WATCH FOREST DANGER on a danger event.

Hope that helps to flesh out any EXP adjustments you're considering.

~~Kythryn~~
RE: Lumberjacking Testing 01/03/2015 07:15 PM CST
Could someone please email me a list of nouns I should include? Been traveling for the holiday and I just know I'll lose track of this... thanks!

RE: Lumberjacking Testing 01/03/2015 07:16 PM CST
>>will learn more learn more from mining since you are finding 2 items (stone and ore)

Very possible, I'll bump it when I get back home.