Mech Lore Training 04/16/2014 11:13 AM CDT
I have been training my mechanical lore by braiding vines and my learning rate has slowed drastically. It is 106 and I still can't turn the vines into rope. Any suggestions on a better way to train or at what level you can actually turn vines into rope?
Re: Mech Lore Training 04/16/2014 01:59 PM CDT
>> I have been training my mechanical lore by braiding vines and my learning rate has slowed drastically. It is 106 and I still can't turn the vines into rope. Any suggestions on a better way to train or at what level you can actually turn vines into rope?

If you're having a hard time, you can braid grass instead of vines. It should be easier. Make sure to remove your hand armor before braiding.

I have 376 ranks of Mech and I can still lock it at a normal pace using braiding vines. I don't remember when I started, but I'd guess it was before 106 ranks. So there may be something else affecting your success, like hand armor or wounds.
Re: Mech Lore Training 04/16/2014 08:19 PM CDT
>>I have been training my mechanical lore by braiding vines and my learning rate has slowed drastically. It is 106 and I still can't turn the vines into rope. Any suggestions on a better way to train or at what level you can actually turn vines into rope?

Yes, grass and armorless hands to make a rope. I usually use grass because I amuse myself with the fantasy notion that my bundling ropes are lighter because vines would be heavier.

However, more importantly, to train mech lore you don't need to make ropes. You just need to braid. My script (stolen from here and there) basically just braids until you fail so horribly that it falls apart and then start over again until eventually you mindlock and stop. Which is the goal, really. Unless you need a bundling rope, then use grass because it's magic. IIRC the script doesn't work smoothly at <50 mech ranks or so because of a few things so you just need to pull rope manually now and then.

#braid
echo Usage is '.braid grass' or '.braid vine' or whatever other material you wish to braid. Unicorn hair and fairy wings, etc.
forage:
put forage %1
match braid You manage to find
match forage Roundtime:
matchwait

braid:
put braid my %1
match exp You need to have more material
match reboot wasted effort
match braid seconds.
matchwait

reboot:
put pull my %1
match braid but you think you can still work with what you have left
match forage curse you throw away the ruined pieces.
matchwait

exp:
put exp mechanical lore
match end enthralled
match end nearly locked
match end mind lock
match forage Exp help
matchwait

end:
echo done.
Re: Mech Lore Training 04/17/2014 11:05 PM CDT
Indeed, very odd that you can't. It occurs to me, did you try PULLing when you're "done" to actually get the rope?

I found that braiding teaches fine up until about 600+ ranks. I suspect that it softcaps about 500-520, when you get a message that you just can't braid the vine/grass any longer.

Getting past 620 is a trial.

Pretty much I braid on every one of my characters except my Trader (Already split his Mech off twice and doesn't need it any longer), my Cleric (carves beads for his mech), and my Moon Mage (Mech about 700, uses Origami).

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Mech Lore Training 04/17/2014 11:32 PM CDT
I didnt have pulling in my script. Once I got the "wasted effort" message I would just drop it and start over. I also removed my gloves and my RT has dropped substantially. Thank you for the responses.
Re: Mech Lore Training 04/18/2014 10:28 AM CDT
Yeah, that'll do it.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear