Potency/Complexity/Precision Questions 12/11/2020 11:29 AM CST
As I keep thinking if I need to add more stat sections/settings to the wiki pages when it comes to enchanting...

1) Why do some GM-created items only have precision (so no potency or complexity), or potency and precision (so no complexity)? Is there a benefit/penalty to this?
2) What is "central complexity"? It's not on the scale that's on the epedia page, and it looks like any non-player-made item has that as its complexity, if it has a complexity at all.
3) How does grade play into things? In other words, is something minor grade that has excellent potency and is fantastically precise worse than something that's major grade that has excellent potency and is fantastically precise, or does the fact that it's easier to use make it better? I know that, in theory, higher grades are meant to do bigger things, but it doesn't seem like there's a real definition/guideline for that.

As one example, the original sungold khor'vela grove auctioned two years ago at HE was Major Grade, and the Prime version was adjusted down to Minor Grade based on player feedback, at least from what I understand (and I think an additional item was added to it?). Since they're both the same enchantment in every sense except for difficulty to use, is there any advantage/benefit to the Major Grade one, or is it being harder to you essentially a disadvantage in this context?

Similarly, the TM focus from this year's HE has its precision second only to the stormtouched staff that was raffled during the last Su Helmas, but it's lesser grade (I was honestly expecting it to be closer to the staff's difficultly to use, but the staff may be Greater this time around because it has that unique +electric damage going on!). Would a TM focus with similar potency/precision to the leviathan TM focus but at Minor/Greater/Major grade be better, or just harder to use?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Potency/Complexity/Precision Questions 12/13/2020 10:24 AM CST
Hey there!

1). Potency is generally quality and Precision is the "Hardness equivalent" for Enchanted items. Grade sets how difficult the enchantment is to use, and adjusts the end result up for down accordingly by a small factor. GM Made items go through a different process, and in a few cases (like TM Foci) those variables can get whacked. But since the actual effect magnitude is tracked elsewhere this doesn't effect the item function, only how players perceive it. Those will be sorted out and handled better with the release of Binding (Lets call it Enchanting 3.1) and when you can add a second enchantment to item. It is working in Dev right now but this year, being the mess that it is, has slowed down my intentions of getting it out.

2). Complexity was supposed to factor into difficulty of stacking and have other effects. It was a leftover from the original designer. This will be changing up with Binding (Enchanting 3.1) and make more sense.

3). Grade increases all skill checks related to the item. For flares, each grade adds a small increase to the % chance to proc and the magnitude of the effect, but only if you can cap the skill contest. For example a Tier 1 grade 1 flare might proc 10% of the time. A Tier 6 grade 1 flare might proc 25% of the time. A Tier 6 grade 4 item might proc 37% of the time. Just made up numbers, but you can see that Grade is actually a decent contributor, but only if you have the skill. Not all players have the 1500 ranks necessary to use Grade 4 items well and so as GMs we often tone them down a bit for MT events. Its really up to the creators' discretion.

The idea was to address how with weapons and armor, a circle 1 newbie can technically wield the "best" equipment in the game and never have to upgrade. We wanted Enchanting to have a little bit of progression to it. For trinkets and fluff items, and some legacy enchantments, this isn't particularly meaningful beyond the experience earned and the success/fail criteria. However, many trinkets do offer an improved visual effect for higher grade!

I hope that helps explain things more!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Potency/Complexity/Precision Questions 12/13/2020 04:39 PM CST
>>Potency is generally quality and Precision is the "Hardness equivalent" for Enchanted items.

Does this mean that potency is a modifier to precision's "hardness"? Since you can have a masterfully-crafted but poor potency enchantment, would this make it more like the enchantment's "density"?

Similarly, complexity is more the value that helps guide how difficult it would be to add additional stuff beyond that enchantment into the item, versus the difficulty levels tied to creating the enchantment as its listed in the crafting book itself (ie: you can have a "very easy" but "incredibly complex" enchantment, or a "very difficult" but "very simple" enchantment).

>>Complexity was supposed to factor into difficulty of stacking and have other effects. It was a leftover from the original designer. This will be changing up with Binding (Enchanting 3.1) and make more sense.

Hah, in that case I'll drop the "what is central complexity" question since all the values seem to be up for a refresh anyway anyway (possibly with all the other stuff!)

>>Grade...

Love how Grade works and looking forward to getting my hands on some more greater grade items, then!

>>I hope that helps explain things more!

Despite me having more questions about potency, it does. Thank you! Looking forward to Enchanting 3.1 (not shocked that this year threw some stuff out of whack!).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Potency/Complexity/Precision Questions 12/13/2020 04:45 PM CST
Actually, one more tiny potency question.

How does potency come into play for items that lack a potency value? Is there a "neutral" potency value that gets added in that context? Asking since there are some TM foci out there without it.

Re: Potency/Complexity/Precision Questions 12/14/2020 07:59 AM CST
Hey Kodius! Long time no see!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy