Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 05/26/2020 05:33 PM CDT
The cambrinth retuner has in excess of 5 hours of cooldown per use (I don't know how much longer it is than that but at this point it's easier to just throw it in the garbage and make a new one). Given that the enchantment already is limited to charges and very few at that, can the cooldown on use timer get removed? It seems like there's also a pretty stiff arcana check for use; and if you try using the retuner and fail the check there's no messaging in place to suggest that's what the issue is - it just does nothing.

Another issue is that enchanted products just become their base. These base item nouns are much too common ingame. If I craft a cambrinth retuner right now it's a basla rod or bobcat rod, etc. You've already got stirring (forging) rods, cambrinth rods, toy rods, tm foci rods, ritual foci rods and probably a few rods i'm forgetting. It would be far preferable that when you enchant something it becomes that noun. A balsa retuner, or a bobcat retuner, for example, would make organizing and finding enchantments after the fact much more reasonable.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/13/2020 05:05 PM CDT
I don't see how we allow items to be named something they aren't. To a NMU it is just a plain old rod, wand, runestone. To change this would imply everyone has special magicvision. We have this long-standing tradition of magical items appearing mundane (outside of some easy to visually identify materials like cambrinth, chakrel and gath mysandra) in DR going way back before my time really, so I'm just maneuvering within the confines of established practices. It existed for CJ too which is why folks used to obsess over which gem was tied to which skill.

A second reason for having enchanted items revert to their base is so they can be re-enchanted. If you enchant "an indurium rod" and it becomes "a bubble wand", for example, and the enchantment wears out... we would have lost the information necessary to make it an indurium rod again. It could never be re-enchanted. And since the decades-long-development cycles necessitate my reusing code across all of enchanting, combined with the scenario where we wouldn't want weapons and armor to permanently become locked in to a single given enchantment, this was the best compromise that could be found.

And finally, I petitioned for some items to be tied to a specific color or mineral. Kind of like runestones. Where a fireshard runestone would always be X material. But I was told that wouldn't be possible, and so had hoped folks would dye their items as a way to help keep things organized.

It would seem this a real problem of any mage. Figuring out what the heck each wand, rod, ring or staff they own does, heh. I'm always open to ideas for how we can differentiate everything better though!

I can review the cambrinth retuner and see why it is the way it is. For the most part I tried to copy functionality from the old enchanting systems, and that may not have always made the most sense.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/13/2020 07:47 PM CDT
>> ...and so had hoped folks would dye their items as a way to help keep things organized.

This would be a lot easier if 1. dyes and dye tubs were available more than once every other year, and 2. we could dye raw materials the same way that cloth can be dyed. It would be much more convenient to dye a stack of lumber to make green wands out of than to make a bunch of wands and then spend time to dye them all green.

So before posting I wanted to check what would happen if I tried dyeing lumber or a bead with one of the remaining dye shops. The one in Tiger Clan actually dyed my lumber, but the dye was lost on both the lumber and the item when I started crafting, and they wouldn't dye the bead when I was done. Then I wanted to see what the options were for an actual dyed item and it turns out you can't even dye wooden beads, wands, or rods with a dye tub.

I was able to dye a stone bead, but none of the options with the cleaning cloth would let me use the dye color as the adjective instead of the codex image I chose.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 06:32 AM CDT
>>...and so had hoped folks would dye their items as a way to help keep things organized.

>none of the options with the cleaning cloth would let me use the dye color as the adjective instead of the codex image I chose.

Adding emphasis just so that it is super clear where the problem with player dying is. Please allow player dying to change the adjective to allow for actual organizing by color.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 08:53 AM CDT
> To a NMU it is just a plain old rod, wand, runestone.
> I'm always open to ideas for how we can differentiate everything better though!

Can we reuse the solution already in place for runes and scrolls? A newly dropped scroll shows up as gibberish until it's ready, by anyone, regardless of scholarship. This may even use the same code as the old moon mage label cantrip. Once focused on (runes) or read (scrolls) it shows up in the look and/or tap.

> look rune
A quartz runestone is marked with a symbol for the Refresh spell.

> Tap scroll

You tap a silver-stippled scroll labeled with Soul Sickness

So a newly created item could be "[same messaging as today] labeled as a [type of enchant]"

ie: "A balsa rod labeled as a cambrinth retuner" or "a donkey bead labeled as an advanced lunar ritual focus"

> But I was told that wouldn't be possible, and so had hoped folks would dye their items as a way to help keep things organized.

I'll admit that I didn't even consider dying. I think this could work if we as an entire game could agree on a scheme as players, but ultimately I think that would be a little like herding cats. If one trader goes off the scheme, maybe because they don't check forums or discords then everything starts falling apart. It's not like the hard mechanical requirement of buying runes from shops with a certain material.

While we have you looking at this, can you look into the following:

1. When will the last two sigil farming feats be turned on? This is critical to make sigil farming feasible.

2. Any word on making the bands from engineering work with the stat rings or releasing a "ring" we can use? Right now they seem to be hard-coded to +1, even with 80+ sigils used to enchant the 50-100 plat rings from the corn maze (when they can be enchanted).

3. Can you confirm the arcana required to use each grade of enchant? It's difficult to do this analysis ourselves with high CDs (sometimes hours to days) on limited charge items which you can't even make very often due to #1. Ie: minor is 250 for consistent use, lesser = 500, greater = 750, and major is 1500? Is this affected by anything other than arcana?

4. Can you confirm the rumor that capacity of the item is set to work best with sigils and founts of a certain range? ie: someone was saying that a capacity of 50 should have sigils around 50 and a common fount for the best results. Without giving too much PAFO away, is there truth to this? Would I expect a better product from using avg. 50 precision sigils on a 50 capacity base and common fount as I would if using an ultra rare fount with 99 precision sigils on the same 50 capacity items?

5. Are there hidden stats which make foci or armor from MT events more powerful than the crafted variants of the same grade and tier? ie: I've heard the $1500 corn maze armor was producing way more damage than similar enchants of the same grade and tier. It could be bad testing, and I don't think anyone would be bothered if it were; however, it would be useful to know if the perceive messaging wasn't sufficient to determine which is better.

6. Any word on fixing the "Action" verb in sigil farming? It sometimes procs without benefit, and you have to do it twice in succession. Both times increase danger. It wouldn't be the worst due to #1, but right now it just greatly reduces the chance of improving a sigil.

7. Can you confirm the skills required to determine success in farming a sigil? Do buffs count? Is it virtually impossible for certain skill ranges to make very high precision sigils (95+)? If so, are there plans to release sigils in another form that doesn't require literally hundreds of hours of farming for one of 4 sigils for that consumable enchant on MT materials already purchased? (I know that's wordy and perhaps overly harsh, but this has become a very sore spot for aspiring enchanters)

8. Can you review work order payout? Considering the sigil farming time and enchanting time, the payouts should be 4-5x what they are.

9. Is it intentional for sigils to change from one year to the other. eg: a room with induction in fall may not have induction during the next fall. A little annoying but manageable if so, but it's good to know if this is bug, intentional, or a "happy accident".
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 09:50 AM CDT
10. Can we make all sigils available for purchase from the crafting societies for training purposes?

~Engineering Legend Ascot Ryuzzaki, Tinkerer of Elanthia
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 10:35 AM CDT
Sounds good, I'm working to make lower-quality/precision sigils available for training in the crafting halls to help with the concerns expressed here.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 12:31 PM CDT
1. When will the last two sigil farming feats be turned on? This is critical to make sigil farming feasible.

Only the final sigil harvesting technique is currently disabled. I hope to enable it once Binding is released. That has been a side project for this year, just takes time to code up the dozens of unique enchantments and new mechanics needed to support it.

2. Any word on making the bands from engineering work with the stat rings or releasing a "ring" we can use? Right now they seem to be hard-coded to +1, even with 80+ sigils used to enchant the 50-100 plat rings from the corn maze (when they can be enchanted).

I'm not sure we are allowed to have player-made stat rings higher than +1. Sigil quality affects the duration right now. I'll inquire though.

3. Can you confirm the arcana required to use each grade of enchant? It's difficult to do this analysis ourselves with high CDs (sometimes hours to days) on limited charge items which you can't even make very often due to #1. Ie: minor is 250 for consistent use, lesser = 500, greater = 750, and major is 1500? Is this affected by anything other than arcana?

I believe each range caps training at approximately - 200, 500, 1000, 1750. It is my intent to allow players to get a feel for their personal chance of success while focusing each item. Much like mages can gauge how difficult a particular spell is to cast.

4. Can you confirm the rumor that capacity of the item is set to work best with sigils and founts of a certain range? ie: someone was saying that a capacity of 50 should have sigils around 50 and a common fount for the best results. Without giving too much PAFO away, is there truth to this? Would I expect a better product from using avg. 50 precision sigils on a 50 capacity base and common fount as I would if using an ultra rare fount with 99 precision sigils on the same 50 capacity items?

The fount sets the maximum amount of sigil precision an item can possess. If you use a 20 capacity sigil and then scribe 50 precision sigils, you'll just be wasting the sigils. If you use a 99 capacity fount with 20 precision sigils, you aren't taking advantage of the fount but you aren't going to risk any danger either.

Fount capacity will become more important with Binding where 2 enchantments can exist on an item. The existing sigil precision will penalize your attempts to imbue a second enchantment... necessitating you use higher precision sigils and higher capacity founts.

5. Are there hidden stats which make foci or armor from MT events more powerful than the crafted variants of the same grade and tier? ie: I've heard the $1500 corn maze armor was producing way more damage than similar enchants of the same grade and tier. It could be bad testing, and I don't think anyone would be bothered if it were; however, it would be useful to know if the perceive messaging wasn't sufficient to determine which is better.

The enchanting system isn't designed to have hidden stats, so given the same Grade, Precision(Tier) and Modifier, the enchantments should work similarly. For end prizes though we do tend to pump up the tier/grade of the base item and the enchantment so you may just be noticing the effects of that? The different flares also allocate damage differently from each other, so you might be noticing that too?

And players cannot craft enchanted armor, so I'm not sure this is even a concern yet... the armor in question is a much higher Tier than normal, and everything looks to be working as expected.

6. Any word on fixing the "Action" verb in sigil farming? It sometimes procs without benefit, and you have to do it twice in succession. Both times increase danger. It wouldn't be the worst due to #1, but right now it just greatly reduces the chance of improving a sigil.

Yes I'll look at this again. It is very difficult to reproduce and the cause of the bug makes no sense.

7. Can you confirm the skills required to determine success in farming a sigil? Do buffs count? Is it virtually impossible for certain skill ranges to make very high precision sigils (95+)? If so, are there plans to release sigils in another form that doesn't require literally hundreds of hours of farming for one of 4 sigils for that consumable enchant on MT materials already purchased? (I know that's wordy and perhaps overly harsh, but this has become a very sore spot for aspiring enchanters)

It is intentional that sigil precision is artificially capped around 85-90 currently. Folks might not be happy about that, but it was done to avoid flooding the market while I could data mine and sort out where we wanted to go. Challenges in my life prevent me from spending as much time coding as I used to, so everything ends up coming much slower than I want and the players need.

8. Can you review work order payout? Considering the sigil farming time and enchanting time, the payouts should be 4-5x what they are.

Sure, I'll add this to the list of things to review.

9. Is it intentional for sigils to change from one year to the other. eg: a room with induction in fall may not have induction during the next fall. A little annoying but manageable if so, but it's good to know if this is bug, intentional, or a "happy accident".

Sigils were only designed to change with the seasons... could be a bug, I'll do some digging heh.

Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 12:48 PM CDT

Thanks for the response. Not exactly the best news, but this has been very helpful in understanding the system a little better.
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/14/2020 10:31 PM CDT
>>Sounds good, I'm working to make lower-quality/precision sigils available for training in the crafting halls to help with the concerns expressed here.

This is fantastic news!! Thank you!!
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/15/2020 06:36 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure we are allowed to have player-made stat rings higher than +1. Sigil quality affects the duration right now. I'll inquire though.

Last year in August you posted: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Enchanting%20Skill/view/2962

>>Rings of Glory can go up to +3, but it will likely be a whole lot easier once I get it working for crafted bands. Will focus on this here shortly.

You didn't specifically say that players could craft +3 rings, but the implication is there.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Artificing product cooldown on use is punishing 06/15/2020 08:48 AM CDT
Thanks for all the answers, it does help shed some light on some odd results mayhaps coming from fount precision rather than where i thought (sigil precision average).

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.