Something seems off at lower ranks 11/23/2019 03:21 AM CST
73 ranks of enchanting.
Basic Artificing Principles, and Artificer Specialization taken
Using master crafted tools(mix of MT endloot and incidentals)
Using personally crafted founts(t1) made from store bought spheres and sigils
Using store bought siglis and store bought beads

> focus bead
You take the bead in your hands and focus carefully upon it.
You sense a matrix formed using Elemental mana, commonly referred to as the Wind Glamour Trinket enchantment.
The enchantment appears well-crafted, has excellent potency, demonstrates central complexity, and is somewhat precise. This enchantment is of Minor grade, and was modified to bonus durability. The matrix originally supported 47 charges, and has 47 charges remaining.
You believe this item can be activated with rub and tap.

Only shows as well crafted.

I tried with a self crafted outstanding bead and use store bought sigils and got the same result
I tried with store bought beads and 80-99 quality self harvested sigils and got the same result.

I'd expect to be master crafting with tech at these ranks. At the very least I'd be expecting to hit above "well-crafted"

Am I missing something or is something wonky?

~Nexty
Re: Something seems off at lower ranks 12/15/2019 10:34 PM CST

Ok lets see 73 ranks of enchanting outstanding bead 95-98 but not sure the capacity of the material or workability of the material with store bought sigils 70 quality but very low precision want to say 20 but don't remember for sure. It takes the lower of the capacity of the material (despite the quality of it) and the precision of the sigils which is this case is 20. So you have a 20 grade item max because of the sigils being store bought. You ended up with 70-79 quality well crafted, which appears to fit how things are working. Lets see if the bead is stone and common you wont get capacity over 50 (though in rare stone you can get some in the 90+ range but right now getting sigils with precision in that range probably are not going to happen yet). If the bead is bone you can get no commons over 50 and only two rare at 80. If the bead is wood you got balsa at 70 capacity and none higher that I can think of off hand. The lower of the two is used as the grade of your final bead in this case your focus. That means the final grade is 20. This is shown when you focus the bead at the end (Shows MINOR GRADE which is in the 1-50 range, and the biggest reason why you just use store bought sigils for work orders till you start to have to get the secondary sigils.).

<<The enchantment appears well-crafted, has excellent potency, demonstrates central complexity, and is somewhat precise. This enchantment is of Minor grade, and was modified to bonus durability. The matrix originally supported 47 charges, and has 47 charges remaining.>>

Now on your second attempt you use store bought beads which have a decent quality but the capacity is what counts on the grade. I suspect something like a basalt heron bead though I don't remember what was in the society shops. Basalt has a capacity of 50. If the self harvested sigils were right around 50. The grade of the bead used would be in the 50 range. If they were around 20 precision the grade would be 20 just like using the society bought sigils. Since you indicate you got the same results, then Minor Grade on the completed item that makes sense its a final grade item of between 1-50 even if the sigils had a precision of 50 or 2.

Now your final quality is very dependent on the workability of the item you used. Basalt (If it was a store bought basalt bead) fortunately has a workability of 80, not sure what material you used to make your own bead though. You did a wind glamour trinket which is 100 skill to make with the techs you can reduce that to around 71 and you got 73 skill in enchanting, putting you right at the edge. Now I have had many times tried things at the edge of making something like that and some can go high quality and some stay lower. I suspect this will change as your skill goes up rather quickly. So my guess is the lower quality is because you are right at the edge. When you see on the charts ~71 for where the techs can lower where you can make things that is probably + or - 2 or 3 ranks. My guess is at 74 you might just be getting much higher quality out of it. I would not worry too much that you only got WELL CRAFTED just yet. Give it another rank and see what happens.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Something seems off at lower ranks 12/19/2019 10:58 PM CST
It's probably the type of fount you are using. In order of difficulty (workability) from minor, lesser, greater, to major. You might be able to master-craft an item just fine with a minor but not a lesser for example. It's also useful to know so you can learn better by changing the fount to make the same item harder to make.
Re: Something seems off at lower ranks 12/23/2019 10:56 PM CST

<<So you have a 20 grade item max because of the sigils being store bought. You ended up with 70-79 quality well crafted, which appears to fit how things are working.>>

That makes zero sense. Meeting the capacity of the base material shouldn't matter at all for how well crafted the end result is. A weapon doesn't come out well crafted just because you have not capped out the templates damage values. Nor does the potency of an reagent matter for how well you crafted it. People have been getting mastercrafted enchants without hitting the capacity cap for the item.

<<My guess is at 74 you might just be getting much higher quality out of it. I would not worry too much that you only got WELL CRAFTED just yet.>>

73 ranks isn't right on the edge, and 74 ranks didn't help at all. Any more ranks and I'd have pushed myself out of getting wind charms as hard work-orders. Any other craft using similar workability material with these skills and I'd be master-crafting the end result. At the VERY least I'd be expecting outstanding on the final product if I was "right at the edge".

And yes, while I will outgrow these ranks quickly, it doesn't mean there isn't something very wrong with how the end result is being figured.

<<You might be able to master-craft an item just fine with a minor but not a lesser for example.>>

I was using a self-crafted minor fount. Made from store bought since that character can't make spheres yet. Though as far as I can tell founts don't have a crafted quality more a binary, could make or could not make state, and only the charges being based off of capacity stuff.