stirring rod oddities 06/06/2016 11:25 PM CDT
So on a lark.. mostly because I wanted to have a better tool to stir up metals for mechanisms.. I made some forked stirring rods.

I have more than enough engineering. I study the book and get the completely understand all facets.. My work orders are for haircombs... so 2 tiers higher.. I should have MORE than enough skill to cover any stone. I have made plenty of senci weapons and mammoth armor pieces..

But these forked stirring rods hate me. I wasted a diamondique rock that went horribly. And a xenomite rock ended up only outstanding. The diamondique rod was horrible every step along the way. The Xenomite went perfectly.. and yet still got reduced in quality somewhere along the way. My tools are repaired.. I don't get it.

Can you please look at the template? Something seems reaaaallly off with those results.
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/07/2016 10:31 PM CDT
Considering the workability of Xenomite and Diamondique this seems pretty possible. Without knowing exactly what materials you use for your work orders or skill, it would be hard to know for sure. 5 and 15 workability materials at the high end can have a massive impact.
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/07/2016 10:44 PM CDT
I work with Senci and Mammoth Bone. Senci is at 5, Mammoth Bone is at 2

I do masterfully-crafted tier 11 pieces. I wouldn't expect to do a tier 11 piece perfectly with diamondique. But a forked stirring rod? at tier 9? I should be several hundred ranks over what it takes.

I just realized that I don't have the technique. That might have been it. But even still.. I am a career carver. The numbers still seem off.
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/07/2016 10:58 PM CDT
<<I just realized that I don't have the technique. That might have been it.

That most definitely is it. Techniques are worth hundreds of ranks.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/07/2016 11:02 PM CDT
It probably is it. But I am already, with the career bonus, probably 600+ ranks over it what it should take to make it.

Meh. Will try again. Just seems really odd.
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/07/2016 11:14 PM CDT
Just grabbed the technique. Went perfectly. That is a crazy amount of difference. Anyways. thanks.
Re: stirring rod oddities 06/08/2016 10:28 AM CDT
I don't think workability is a flat bonus/penalty. I think the further you get away from 70 (on the + or -), you need even more ranks.

In other words, I think the ranks to craft something that is 5 (compared to 10) is a lot larger than the ranks to craft something that is 10 (compared to 15).

Can't be certain, but it definitely feels that way.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.