Scraping 12/16/2015 04:41 PM CST
So I just posted then deleted the post because I was able to determine the answer to my question. Apologies if anyone was preparing a response.

I'm curious, I have far more skill than is required to fully arrange and skin bones from a critter, and even scraping carefully I still appear to mar the bones about every other scrape. Is there some trick to this, or some point where it becomes unlikely you'll mar the bones in the process? The Elanthipedia page is fairly sparse on the command and its use.

Thank you

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
"You're Michael Jackson's hair and I'm a Pepsi commercial!" Bucky from Get Fuzzy
Re: Scraping 12/16/2015 05:50 PM CST
I believe scraping contests the workability of the bone material which does not necessarily correspond to the combat/skinning difficulty of the critter. For example, reavers probably take less than 100 skinning to get perfect bones but at only 10 workability they may take much more to scrape reliably.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Grayroot of Elanthia
Re: Scraping 12/16/2015 06:53 PM CST
What type of scraper are you using and has it been repaired recently?

- Felicini
Re: Scraping 12/17/2015 12:01 AM CST

Yes you should get a crafted scraper for best results and keep it repaired. The ones all of us have from the past are not quite as good now as they used to be.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup
Re: Scraping 12/18/2015 01:53 PM CST
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I definitely use a master crafted scraper, I hadn't considered workability, but even still with over a hundred ranks difference I thought I'd be good. I probably need additional testing to receive more statistically significant data, but it feels like my less skilled character was definitely very lucky at the time if that's the only other factor.

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
"You're Michael Jackson's hair and I'm a Pepsi commercial!" Bucky from Get Fuzzy
Re: Scraping 12/20/2015 02:15 PM CST
>>I hadn't considered workability, but even still with over a hundred ranks difference I thought I'd be good.

I think two things are at play.

1) We don't know the "base" difficulty of scraping that workability is then played off of. Is scraping a "very easy" task, or challenging, or what? Maybe it scales based on the original skin difficulty, as well. In other words, is a 70 workability rat bone going to be easier than a 70 workability wyvern bone?
2) Does scraping still have a non-100% success cap like it did in 2.0? In other words, you're meant to screw up every so often and have those mistakes offset by the quality bump you get when you apply the bleaching solution.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Scraping 12/21/2015 09:23 PM CST
From all my testing:

It appears workability is big. I tend to notice that workability numbers work with how you scrape, quick/normal/careful. So higher workability and careful give you fewer screw ups. When you go lower workability and quick, lots of screw ups. I have done whole bundles of skin/pelt/hide's and even with high workability, I would get at least 1 scrape fail on 2 of 30 items I scrape using careful. Right now I'm not sure what skill levels that you start to see a big lowering of those type of numbers. Also if you are a ranger using HOL before you scrape does appear to help. Oddly enough I used to get lots of snowbeast pelts and garg hides. The snowbeast pelts have a really low workability to them so now I tend to mess those up a lot more than I do the garg hides.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Scraping 12/22/2015 08:30 PM CST
This:

>> It appears workability is big.

It's pretty much everything in cleaning bones.

Fails happen, they appear to be built in. But take heart, proper curing by a skilled engineer will increase the quality when you are done.

Agility and skinning buffs both help scraping bones.

... but workability is ... everything.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Singing since before the Guild was restored.