Prev_page Previous 1
bone armor stats 11/20/2015 03:55 PM CST
I gotta say... I am pretty disappointed by the way bone armor apps compared to leather or even cloth.

I thought bone was supposed to have more protection.. yet mammoth hide armor gives a full point more across the board than mammoth bone..

Maybe it is just that leather has techniques that work to improve finished armor.. but either way bone armor in general could use a review.
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:11 PM CST
Below are some recent apps just to show my point. 99 physical mammoth bone should out perform 90 mammoth hide... (and I am not caring about elemental resistances here, those clearly the hide should do better.. 60 vs 90) And I understand that leather is intended to have more absorption... but it not only has better absorption, it also has better protection. For rare leather the mammoth hide looks like its stats are in the right place. For mammoth bone? not even close.

You feel certain that a coarse mammoth-hide robe sealed with protective wax appears to impose high (9/15) maneuvering hindrance and light (3/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
great (9/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
great (9/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
very great (10/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

You feel certain that a ribbed mammoth-bone balaclava appears to impose insignificant (1/15) maneuvering hindrance and insignificant (1/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
very high (8/15) protection and good (7/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and very good (8/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and moderate (6/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
good (5/15) protection and somewhat fair (4/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
good (5/15) protection and somewhat fair (4/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
good (5/15) protection and somewhat fair (4/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:32 PM CST
>>You feel certain that a coarse mammoth-hide robe sealed with protective wax appears to impose high (9/15) maneuvering hindrance and light (3/15) stealth hindrance, offering:

You feel certain that a segmented mammoth-bone hauberk appears to impose moderate (7/15) maneuvering hindrance and fair (5/15) stealth hindrance, offering:

That right there is the real difference, hindrance. In a 4 armor setup as armor tert (and 90 ranks of brig) I'm rolling with...

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is lightly (4/14) hindered.

Compare that to nightmare black leathers

You feel certain that some nightmare black leathers appear to impose high (9/15) maneuvering hindrance and fair (5/15) stealth hindrance, offering:

And while the protection is similiar overall (mammoth-hide is understandably a bit better there) but also 2 points better on stealth hindrance. In fact light stealth hindrance on a full body + legs + arms piece is the lowest I've ever seen. The thin zenganne shirt I had made came with light stealth hindrance and that didn't cover the legs.
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:37 PM CST
I've never seen a difference in stealth hindrance for different types of light armor. I've always thought that was kind of a shame.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:45 PM CST
In order to compare stats you also need to include density. From the looks of it, bone is 5.4 while leather is 6.0

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:46 PM CST
Hindrance shouldn't be a factor. That should be determined more by the template or style of armor than the material itself.. or at least that is what would make sense. and even if that is the 'good' quality of bone armor.. that isn't what it is sold as.. nor does it make sense. Bone armor should hinder more than leather, or cloth for that matter...
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 04:47 PM CST
I know density matters.. but .6 should at most offset the 9 points extra in phys resistance.. and you should get even armor.

And bone should weigh more to begin with...
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 05:44 PM CST
>I've never seen a difference in stealth hindrance for different types of light armor. I've always thought that was kind of a shame.

I think it's more about the range of hindrance than the type of armor. Some leathers can absolutely be more hindering than whatever else. I've been playing the hindrance game back and forth since I came back. I've managed...

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

That's wearing something of each armor type, including an armworn shield. As a tert, that's the lowest reasonable combination I've found. And with significant ranks in all armors, I doubt I'll see it drop again.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: bone armor stats 11/20/2015 05:52 PM CST
3/14 stealth hindrance is with armor tertiary and what types of armor/ranks? I've never seen it drop below 4/14 with full coverage, so I'm curious how you got there.

Thayet
Re: bone armor stats 11/21/2015 10:09 AM CST
>>You feel certain that a segmented mammoth-bone hauberk appears to impose moderate (7/15) maneuvering hindrance and fair (5/15) stealth hindrance, offering:

What was the weight of this hauberk?
Re: bone armor stats 11/21/2015 10:25 AM CST
319 stones, 58 pieces so the density is ~5.5
Re: bone armor stats 11/21/2015 06:14 PM CST
Something seems off to me about that. That's some really low hinderance that I've only seen on the lightest of cloth hauberks. Cloth can't even hit that low of hinderance at 150 stones lighter. Looking at the appraisal and hinderance (without seeing the weight) I would of guessed that mammoth bone was in the 2.5 - 3.5 density range.
Re: bone armor stats 11/21/2015 07:54 PM CST
Which is why I say the template is off... the hindrance is too low for the weight... and frankly the stats are too low for the weight. Mammoth bone is the best of the best bone for bone armor.. and is the heaviest version of light armor.. it should compensate for that by having the best stats. I am even okay with there being a trade off of more protection than absorption which is what I read was the original goal.. but it doesn't currently even achieve that.

Talked specifically about materials... I would also say that mammoth bone should have a higher density than mammoth hide in general. We aren't talking a bird with hollow bones here.. but a mammoth. The bones should weigh as much if not more than the hide.
Re: bone armor stats 11/22/2015 02:03 PM CST
>>Which is why I say the template is off... the hindrance is too low for the weight... and frankly the stats are too low for the weight. Mammoth bone is the best of the best bone for bone armor.. and is the heaviest version of light armor.. it should compensate for that by having the best stats. I am even okay with there being a trade off of more protection than absorption which is what I read was the original goal.. but it doesn't currently even achieve that.

In my opinion it does have the best stats, because I value hindrance more than any other stat. I'd be really upset if after scraping together 58 mammoth-bones for my really low hindrance hauberk it suddenly changed to being more protective and more hindrance.
Re: bone armor stats 11/22/2015 02:58 PM CST
>>In my opinion it does have the best stats, because I value hindrance more than any other stat. I'd be really upset if after scraping together 58 mammoth-bones for my really low hindrance hauberk it suddenly changed to being more protective and more hindrance.

I think it would lose a lot of weight instead of gaining protection/hinderance. The ribbed mammoth bone hauberk from the moonsilver merchant had a little bit better protection and little more hinderance but weighed 150 stones. I know it's not crafted, but it's appears the GM who created it used all the current crafting templates/materials so it should be fairly comparable. Using the same math for crafted hauberks, that makes the moonsilver hauberk 2.58 density. This is more what I'd expect, and I have to agree that the weight of the crafted hauberk is way off for it's other stats. I wouldn't mind to see the weight lowered and it be a low weight alternative to heavier leather.
Re: bone armor stats 11/22/2015 09:17 PM CST
The moonsilver armor/shields are all ridiculously low weight though. Most of the shields aren't even at a forgeable weight. I have a set of the cloth armor, and the hauberk weighs 75 stone. That'd be around 1.72 density, and I know of no cloth that light, although there are some blanks on E-pedia's materials page. A comparison to quest armor is Kanton's wizard robes at 96 stones.

The moonsilver leather armor come in at an equivalent of 4 density though. The same as quested nightmare leathers.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: bone armor stats 11/22/2015 10:12 PM CST
>>The moonsilver armor/shields are all ridiculously low weight though.

This is correct. I wouldn't use the moonsilver gear as anything that could/should be reproduced by players.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: bone armor stats 11/22/2015 11:03 PM CST
>>I'd be really upset if after scraping together 58 mammoth-bones for my really low hindrance hauberk it suddenly changed to being more protective and more hindrance.

Historically they don't change existing items unless they are completely broken, so any changes would only impact new items.

I also would rather engineering have its templates working correctly so that they have a niche beyond oddly low hindrance -- which I question if it is intended.
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 02:24 AM CST
What is this moonsilver stuff? Quest prize?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 02:47 AM CST
Stuff sold at Stolen from the Moons: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Stolen_from_the_Moons_(2)

Thayet
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 02:56 AM CST
Yeps very limited quantity merchant from 2+ years ago. Think 10 or less sets were sold.
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 03:10 AM CST
Comparing a typical bone item to a typical leather item, the bone items have more hindrance, less absorb and more protection. The problem is that half a point of density reduces the stats enough to just barely roll down to the next compare level. Density has always had a large effect on item stats. Not something I particularly liked when I rewrote the systems, but I am unable to fix without years of rewriting other things...

I will also point out that mammoth bone and leather are the heaviest materials for both categories.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 03:18 AM CST
Right. but doesn't it seem off that the half point of density vastly outperforms the 9 extra points in physical defense? I mean I would get it if it ended up relatively even.. but it isn't. The leather wins across the board... with the only thing slightly in the bone's favor is the hindrance (which seems low for the weight)

That just seems broken.

At the very least, I would love for mammoth bone to gain some density, it should weigh at least as much as the leather, if not more.
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 08:40 AM CST
I would like to point out that the mammoth-bone hauberk has the same protection/hinderance as my 2.15 density zenganne (cloth) hauberk, except the weight which the mammoth-bone weighs 3x as much. I agree that density plays a big part, but not this much. Mammoth-bone is producing 2 density results at 5+ density and it doesn't make sense when compared with leather and cloth.
Re: bone armor stats 12/05/2015 03:12 PM CST

It seems like the templates for bone armor are just off more than anything else.

I mean based off density being king... thick khaddar cloth should easily produce better stats that imperial weave... yet as far as i know it doesn't.
Bone armor stats/templates 02/18/2016 09:02 PM CST
Could someone take a look at the bone armor templates for carving, and maybe bone armor in general? I'd really like to use strictly bone armor, but I can't justify it when cloth armors are all-around better.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/18/2016 09:23 PM CST
Will gladly second this request.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/18/2016 11:56 PM CST
Usually when this gets talked about the response is that there's not enough granularity to Light armor to really make bone armor a thing people would like that wasn't leather. Though maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for bone to be a cosmetic leather clone?

Maybe enchanting will give it a niche.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 07:50 AM CST
>Usually when this gets talked about the response is that there's not enough granularity to Light armor to really make bone armor a thing people would like that wasn't leather. Though maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for bone to be a cosmetic leather clone?

I would use it if bone would, temporarily, be a clone of leather. Ideally though, I could see it being more protective, less absorbing... maybe fiddle with the maneuvering/stealth hindrance some. I'm not asking for it to be better than anything else, just balanced. It just seems to be lacking in every aspect.

Maybe someone could enlighten me as to what the benefits of bone are, if I am indeed "missing the point"

Thanks!
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 08:39 AM CST
>>I'm not asking for it to be better than anything else, just balanced. It just seems to be lacking in every aspect.

I keep hearing that Bone armor will be the best for Enchanting. If that's true or not, who knows.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 09:51 AM CST
Bone is a more protective and less absorptive version of leather. The numbers are supposed to be even but the way that the ranges work out bone ends up looking less than desirable. This also has a lot to do with a lack of good materials and lack of enhancing.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 10:44 AM CST
>Bone is a more protective and less absorptive version of leather. The numbers are supposed to be even but the way that the ranges work out bone ends up looking less than desirable. This also has a lot to do with a lack of good materials and lack of enhancing.

So the stats are actually okay but it doesn't appear that way because of appraisal ranges?

You mentioned lack of enhancing. Is this something to do with crafting techniques? Are they not functioning at all or not functioning correctly?
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 11:02 AM CST
>>So the stats are actually okay but it doesn't appear that way because of appraisal ranges?

With the exception of slaugh, which is 85 hardness (ie: midsteel), the best bones are 80 hardness. Slaugh is also pretty low-density, as well. So there is definitely a lack of "good" common bone materials when it comes to armor.

That said, I think there were some posts showing mammoth-bone (tyrium of bones) was a bit lacking when made into armor.

Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 11:45 AM CST
The two main issues I have with bone armor right now are:

1. There is no common high-density 85 physical resist material available. There really needs to be something comparable to shalswar/steel/burlap.

2. Bone armor enhancements were never actually released. So you can't strengthen/lighten/reinforce the armor.

~Engineering Savant Ascot Ryuzzaki, Grayroot of Elanthia
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 12:08 PM CST
>>1. There is no common high-density 85 physical resist material available. There really needs to be something comparable to shalswar/steel/burlap.

>>2. Bone armor enhancements were never actually released. So you can't strengthen/lighten/reinforce the armor.

This is what keeps bone armor from being competitive with leather.

>>That said, I think there were some posts showing mammoth-bone (tyrium of bones) was a bit lacking when made into armor.

Kodius looked into this and said it was ok, but I have a hard time believing that 5+ density bone should have the same hinderance and protection of a sub-2 density set of cloth armor. A lot of people like it for it's hinderance but it's protection is really low to comparable leather armor.

The problem that I really have with bone armor is that's it biggest draw is the protection values (at the cost of absorption). The way armor is contested in combat means that if you don't win the armor contest then you get little to no use out of the protection part of armor and it's mostly absorption that protects you. Armor terts are the ones drawn to light armor usually, and Armor terts will typically have lower armor ranks than their weapons/other offenses. In most situations you are not going to be able to take advantage of that extra protection that bone armor has, and even worse is that it has less absorption. So, IMO, bone armor is less protective overall because of poor materials, lack of enhancements, and how armor works in combat. There is really nothing going for bone armor.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 06:03 PM CST

really needs to be more stuff that bone can be harvested from. Some great critters are available, stuff like a bone mastiff bone golems and a load of other undead stuff and a few living things would make great sources but it would take a little time to QC the stuff and get it approved i am sure, plus a GM willing to do it.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 06:51 PM CST
I still think it'd be nice if there were a bone plate template (under the Brig skill or something)... to have a non-metal option for heavier armor. Though I odn't know enough about the math of armor to know if there's room for something like that. I also vaguely recall someone saying another armor type was impossible. Meh.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 07:12 PM CST
>The problem that I really have with bone armor is that's it biggest draw is the protection values (at the cost of absorption). The way armor is contested in combat means that if you don't win the armor contest then you get little to no use out of the protection part of armor and it's mostly absorption that protects you.

Not disagreeing in any way but FWIW only, per Kodius:

>Damage armor skill check only applies to protection. Absorption is static.

>The incoming damage has its value reduced by the armor's protection modified by skill. The remainder is then reduced by a % based on absorption.

>Armor low-caps at 10% and high caps at 120%. So having low armor skill is disastrously bad for protection.

>Protection is only half the picture. For some armors absorption is the more important stat. This was done to prevent low-skill from completely sabotaging a player, and
to add importance to the armor skill.

>Armor as a skillset gets a negative wrap. But it really does matter. It is just difficult to present that as a meaningful way to folks.

>Hindrance affects defenses. Lower defenses could mean a little more incoming damage up to the cap.

So I would take this to mean that at lower skill levels you want armor with high absorption but at higher skill levels you want armor with high protection. So you are correct that the biggest draw is its protection values but only if you have the armor ranks to make it count. Even if you lose the contest the incoming damage is still reduced by armor protection value + skill. This is why guild abilities that +armor skill are so beneficial and debils that remove armor skill or protection are so detrimental.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 08:35 PM CST
>Damage armor skill check only applies to protection. Absorption is static.

>The incoming damage has its value reduced by the armor's protection modified by skill. The remainder is then reduced by a % based on absorption.

>Armor low-caps at 10% and high caps at 120%. So having low armor skill is disastrously bad for protection.

The way I understand this, and I could be completely off, is that the skill check is what modifies the protection values of the armor and complete failure results in only using 10% of the protection and complete success will give you 120%.

If I am correct about this then what I said is correct and bone armor is the worse light armor type to use as an Armor tert since armor ranks will typically be lower than the rest of your combats meaning you have a higher chance at failing the armor skill check, and you will get little use out of the extra protection that bone provides. That means you are relying more on the absorption stats of the armor, and since bone armor trades absorption for protection you have less of it to make up for the lowered protection from losing the armor skill contest.

If I am wrong and there is some specific level of armor skill that will make protection more useful on armor it would be great to know what those thresholds are.
Re: Bone armor stats/templates 02/19/2016 08:44 PM CST
It is interesting to me that bone armor might be the way for, say, Paladins to get more value out of light armor relative to other types.

It's still not really worth it as-is though.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Prev_page Previous 1