The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/21/2015 08:22 PM CDT

I know many people have been waiting to hear how the Dragon Claw from the Hollow Eve raffle turned out. After Falkonis carefully cleaned it, I had the honor of curing and carving it today.

It was made into a matching set of shivs that look fine:

A dragon-bone shiv is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A dragon-bone shiv trains the small edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat heavy (8/26) puncture damage
fair (5/26) slice damage
dismal (1/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The shiv is terribly (1/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the shiv is excellently (12/17) balanced and is poorly (3/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the shiv is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The shiv came from bones that were enormous in size.
You are certain that the shiv weighs exactly 13 stones.
You are certain that the shiv is worth exactly 212,500 (21 plat) Kronars.

It's been listed at epedia for easy reference in the future at: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Weapon:Shiv_%28crafted%29

~D.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Singing since before the Guild was restored.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/21/2015 08:39 PM CDT
That's pretty awesome for a bone shiv.

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/21/2015 09:23 PM CDT

Nicely made. Great backstabbing weapon.

I gotta say.. I expected it to be a bit better than that though. Sickle-bone makes almost as good a blade. And senci carving knives basically match it (some very slight differences).. but meh.. guess the majority of the price goes towards owning something named Dragon-bone.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/21/2015 10:12 PM CDT
>I gotta say.. I expected it to be a bit better than that though. Sickle-bone makes almost as good a blade. And senci carving knives basically match it (some very slight differences).. but meh.. guess the majority of the price goes towards owning something named Dragon-bone.

Yeah, my tyrium stiletto is a fair match for it as well. A point difference here and there, but overall very close.

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/21/2015 10:32 PM CDT
>>I gotta say.. I expected it to be a bit better than that though. Sickle-bone makes almost as good a blade. And senci carving knives basically match it (some very slight differences).. but meh.. guess the majority of the price goes towards owning something named Dragon-bone.

IMO, the lower the volume the less of a difference you tend to see for changes in density/hardness/etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/22/2015 12:49 AM CDT
Yeps.. I know. But it makes it hard to justify using something that cost about $1000+ worth of plats.

At least for me ;)
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/22/2015 01:40 AM CDT
Just wait until you see what kind of enchantments it can hold :) I know... the wait is killing me too!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/22/2015 09:50 AM CDT
I'm feeling the Inner Code Fires of Kodius burning bright and being readied to turn toward Enchanting Kodius Soon, hopefully enchanters will be rejoicing.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/23/2015 07:26 PM CDT
Now if someone would just post on what the Dragon hide can do.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 12:08 PM CDT

>>Now if someone would just post on what the Dragon hide can do.

Hey, we're lucky we got to see the claw. Everyone knows all the rarest stuff is doomed to sit in a vault collecting dust, usually waiting on some resale for an extreme markup beyond the auction prices.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 01:52 PM CDT
Not in Plat. In Plat they sit in someone's vault waiting for the necessary skill ranks to come around :-/. I don't know which scenario is worse... well, yes I do.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 02:08 PM CDT
>>Not in Plat. In Plat they sit in someone's vault waiting for the necessary skill ranks to come around :-/. I don't know which scenario is worse... well, yes I do.

I'm actually wondering if people are overly projecting how much skill they'd need to make a lower tier item even when the material is 1 workability.

Of course, this goes to show that it would be really useful to have some very hard difficulty common materials. It's a lot

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 02:16 PM CDT

The person who cleaned the claw in prime had capped skinning, I believe, and Im sure their applicable lores were also through the roof. Unless I am mistaken, they caught a snag when cleaning the claw. It's not just about the ranks to make it.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 02:36 PM CDT
True, I didn't factor in those details to actually harvest the material.

Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 02:48 PM CDT
Honestly not sure how you can mark up the claw or hide.. at 100k+ plats for the claw... you will never make that back. You would have to be absolutely nuts.. or just rich and not mind tossing around cash.. to spend 50k+ on a shiv.

Someone probably will though lol.. The people that play this game are crazy.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 03:16 PM CDT
The dragon's front left claw sold for around half what you're quoting, not sure where you got your info. And... there is ALWAYS someone with more money than sense.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 05:35 PM CDT
Hmm. Was there. Could have sworn the claw went for 100k+. Will check logs. Maybe it was the dragon hide.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 05:47 PM CDT
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Hollow_Eve_Festival_414_Auction

dark dragon-scale hide 138,500 plat kronar

dragon's front left claw 50,778 plat kronar

dark dragon-scale hide 87,657 plat kronar

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 03/24/2015 05:58 PM CDT
Yeah that hide is ridiculous. The claw at 50k is still insane. But a marmet went for twice that... soo i guess in comparison not too shabby.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/07/2015 12:00 PM CDT
And there is now a Dragon-bone spear out there. It took all 7 pieces of bone from the claw. For people interested in how it turned out, read on:

A dragon-bone light spear is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.
A dragon-bone light spear trains the heavy thrown and polearm skills.

You are certain that it could do:
very great (12/26) puncture damage
fair (5/26) slice damage
somewhat fair (4/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The light spear is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the spear is soundly (8/17) balanced and is fairly (5/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the light spear is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The light spear came from bones that were enormous in size.
You are certain that the light spear weighs exactly 27 stones.
You are certain that the light spear is worth exactly 387,500 (38 plat)

All the logic in the world that told me I had more than enough skill could NOT overcome the nerves at carving the shivs and the spear. It got no better last night with the spear.

~D.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Singing since before the Guild was restored.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 12:46 AM CDT
Bone weapon templates seem a little lackluster. I wonder if the claws would be better used for armor.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 01:48 AM CDT
Probably but it doesn't sound like there was enough for armor. At any rate dragon bone is meant for taking enchantments.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 02:02 AM CDT
I always thought stone was going to be better for enchants.. But Kodius mentioned dragon bone will be great.

and yeah, in general, while a nice weapon.. for the cost it is fairly meh. The senci bolas app close to the same. and senci spears app far better.

Hopefully you stamped them with your mark or charged them through the nose to keep it off lol
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 02:09 AM CDT
>>You are certain that the light spear weighs exactly 27 stones.

This is a large part of why the appraisals look weak for dragon bone. This put dragon bone at a 3.8 density, which is low for any type of weapon. Taking that into account I think the damage stats are pretty good for the spear.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 06:40 AM CDT
They aren't bad. Not by any means. It is just the fact that for the rarity and the expense... would expect to see something more. Especially considering the skill level involved to make something with it.

Guess we will see how enchanting works out.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/08/2015 07:40 AM CDT
>>It is just the fact that for the rarity and the expense... would expect to see something more.

I'm guessing the enchantability of it is that something more, which is useless at this point in time. I've got my fingers crossed for Enchanting making these what everyone was expecting.
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 04/10/2015 06:34 AM CDT
>>I'm guessing the enchantability of it is that something more, which is useless at this point in time. I've got my fingers crossed for Enchanting making these what everyone was expecting.<<

^ This.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: The Carving of the Dragon Claw 02/04/2016 06:44 PM CST
Did anyone ever make a dragon claw hand sword...?