Player crafted Tattoos 06/18/2008 01:49 PM CDT
This suggestion comes from Eruwyn's player.

Instead of artistry embellishing just items, how about adding people too? Permanent and non permanent tattoos would involve foraging or buying the ingredients for ink or paint (henna based maybe?) and mixing them. You would have to learn different designs to place them on people. This could be a permanent thing like smoke images or a pattern based thing like embroidery or tanning. The temporary tattoos could wear off after awhile like war paint or perhaps last longer like the face paint merchants.

It could also be expanded to be more customizable like the Riverhaven jewelry shop. Higher artistry would give you access to more options in each category that could be mixed and matched for more impressive tattoos in various locations.

- Player of Foresee

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/18/2008 09:52 PM CDT
Woad based too!

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/19/2008 06:15 AM CDT
I'd also like to see the silly restrictions on chest tattoos removed for S'Kra females, as they are not mammals.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/19/2008 06:52 AM CDT
>> I'd also like to see the silly restrictions on chest tattoos removed for S'Kra females, as they are not mammals.

I'd like to see the restriction removed for everyone, personally. I assume it was put in place because someone up in GMland decided that chest tattoo = exposed breasts = OBSCENE!!1 but most RL chest tattoos I've seen on women are positioned above the breasts, like so:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5927/femaletattoochestmd7.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4812/femaletattoochest2ek5.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2828/femaletattoochest3pf1.jpg

Arguably tacky, yes, but so are most things that players design in DR. Hardly obscene so I don't understand the prudishness.

Rev. Reene

"Even if you are a 1,000 year old Necrolord who is so steeped in blasphemy that your words cause the ground to shake and the sky to darken, you do not tick off Kssarh." - Armifer
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/19/2008 08:54 AM CDT
<<Arguably tacky, yes, but so are most things that players design in DR. Hardly obscene so I don't understand the prudishness.

Especially with the tattoo alterer that does tattoos that wrap around the inner thigh. Or some of the attack/spell messaging in the game. The 'OMG boob!' restriction just seems silly.

- Player of Foresee

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/21/2008 09:38 PM CDT
Might I also point out that we've all run around naked at some point or another, at least those of us who have ever had to depart. Sorry ladies, but most of you have HAD exposed breasts IG. I'm with Caelumia on this one.

--Croegar

"If you're not a part of the solution,there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."
Despair Inc. Demotivator
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/21/2008 11:26 PM CDT
it means whatever we want it to mean, to some it means undergarments to others something else. It's your imagination take it how you want it.

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/22/2008 12:24 AM CDT
>>Sorry ladies, but most of you have HAD exposed breasts IG.

People never seem to think about what it means for guys when they say this.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/22/2008 01:02 AM CDT
>> That isn't what "nothing special" means. Never has been.

I believe it depends on the context, personally. It's one of those things left up to interpretation.

I doubt the guards strip my character completely naked before throwing her in a jail cell, for example - in that case, skivvies will do. What "skivvies" might mean depends on your character.

However, I doubt she gets the dignity of her undergarments if she is, say, departing to the nearest altar after dying. In that case, "naked" is acceptable and realistic.

That's just my take.

Rev. Reene

"Even if you are a 1,000 year old Necrolord who is so steeped in blasphemy that your words cause the ground to shake and the sky to darken, you do not tick off Kssarh." - Armifer
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/22/2008 05:41 AM CDT
Our tax money should go to free towels or bathrobes at your local temple. Or at least a fig leaf.

Tabby Faye
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/22/2008 05:51 AM CDT
aesry gives ya a robe when ya depart there.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 02:13 AM CDT
>> Solomon laid this debate to rest YEARS ago, and rather soundly.

He also told us the very concept of angels doesn't exist in Elanthia.

Rev. Reene

Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 11:18 AM CDT
<<He also told us the very concept of angels doesn't exist in Elanthia.>>

Incorrect. The concept of angels most certainly exists. They're called Alfar.

Solomon

"Beat me, whip me, maintain my mindstate at sub-optimal levels!"
http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 07:12 PM CDT
Kougen if you're really drawing a line from someone saying their character is sometimes naked when they don't have items on in certain circumstances to someone saying they're an Avariel from Evermeet I really don't know what else to say to you and this conversation is pretty much over.

>> Incorrect. The concept of angels most certainly exists. They're called Alfar.

That was the argument I tried to make at the time and you said no, angels absolutely do not exist in any way shape or form.

So good to know you changed your mind I guess.

Rev. Reene

Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 09:59 PM CDT
I must have missed the slippery slope argument I used in this thread.

Rev. Reene

Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 10:16 PM CDT
So do we have a GM verdict on maybe removing that chest tatoo ban?

--Croegar

"If you're not a part of the solution,there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."
Despair Inc. Demotivator
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 10:25 PM CDT
>> So do we have a GM verdict on maybe removing that chest tatoo ban?

Would be nice to hear on this.

I would never get one on any of my characters, I just think the ban is arbitrary and silly.

Rev. Reene

:Nudge: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 11:04 PM CDT
This discussion is starting to go all over the map. Let's stay on the topic of the Artistry Lore skill, please. Surviving in Elanthia or even the Policy folders would be a better place to continue discussing everything else mentioned here. Thanks.

Questions and/or comments can be sent to MOD-Hagbar@play.net, Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Player crafted Tattoos 06/23/2008 11:34 PM CDT
"If you say your character could be naked, we might as well say elves with angel wings are fine too."

Man that's not a slippery slope argument at all.

Continuing is something more appropriate for the conflict folder at this point IMO.

I would really like to get an official response on the whole chest tattoo thing though, since it's apparent GMs are actually bothering to read the thread.

Rev. Reene

Re: :Nudge: Player crafted Tattoos 06/24/2008 12:16 AM CDT
getting back to the original thought, how about lifting the ban on chest tattoos for females?

Re: :Nudge: Player crafted Tattoos 06/25/2008 04:25 PM CDT
At the bare minimum, if you manage to snag a tattoo alterer, can females get chest tattoos? Especially if S'kra. The inner thigh tattoo someone mentioned makes me hopeful that an actual alterer would be smarter than the NPCs on Hara'jaal.