Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/16/2008 07:06 AM CST
Would forgery ever be an avenue of Artistry?

For example, we could create 'scrolls' or some such, that can be sold to a pawnshop or some other merchant that thinks its the real thing.

Maybe even mint fake coins.

This would of course be illegal, and if caught using or selling the forged goods, it would mean jailtime, but then if we are good enough, we could buy <X> item with our fake coins.

It could take into account, Appraisal, Stealing, Artistry , Charisma amongst other things.

Just a thought.
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/16/2008 08:27 AM CST
>>forgery

I really like this idea!

There should be some crimincal consequences of course, if you were caught selling such items, especially if you are selling things to the same person over and over.

I like the idea of making crime an art form. :)

GENT
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/16/2008 09:01 AM CST
I like this. There are also the passports for travel from Fornsted to Hvaral, and although they're free now that may change in the future. That would be a nice opportunity to create a black market.

~Thilan
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/17/2008 03:16 PM CST
Forging passports...now that might have something to it. As for counterfeiting...Ever notice how gold coins don't exist in the modern day? This is because we have a "fiat" money system, where the value of the money itself is next to nothing. In fact, the only reason the dollar is worth more than what its printed on is because people believe it is.

At one point in time, we used a system called the "Gold Standard" where every unit of currency in circulation was backed by gold. Even before that, the money itself was actually made of precious metals, Roman coins, for example. These coins actually had the value of their attached value, if you will. Each coin was made to as specific a weight as could be measured, and had as much value if melted down as if left as coins. It was merely advanced barter. If a block of salt cost 1 gold coin, and a bushel of wheat cost 3, a bushel of wheat could also be traded for 3 blocks of salt. Further, a block of gold equal to 3 coin in mass, had the same value. This seems to be about the same time in history. Counterfeiting just doesn't make sense.
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/17/2008 03:24 PM CST
>> Counterfeiting just doesn't make sense.

You bring up good points in your posts and while I don't know how a counterfeiting system would work short of making "look alike" items that are well-known and valuable ("gath mysandas" or "achaedi crystals" that really aren't) it would be quite possible to create counterfeit gold or platinum coins. A mix of non-valuable metals (so it weighed nearly the same) with gold or platinum plating on the outside would do the job. When the plating on the outside starts to rub off and reveal the cheap metal beneath it's already too late.

Rev. Reene

The silence weaves a tapestry of once enchanted themes,
The shadows listen carefully and question what it means;
For stories have lives of their own,
But what good's a story whose end is unknown?
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/17/2008 03:27 PM CST
That's why in the old days they used to bite into the coin first before accepting it. Thereby finding out if it was real or not.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/17/2008 03:32 PM CST
> Counterfeiting just doesn't make sense.

Well, how about coin shaving then? I'm fairly sure the Elanthian Isaac Newton hasn't been born yet to crusade against such scams.

And keep in mind that things like letters of credit have existed for a very long time. There's written evidence of banking as far back as the Babylonian empire, and letters of credit and similar systems existed in ancient Greece and further refined by groups like the Knights Templar. We also have similar things already existing in DR. Those could conceivably be forged or counterfeited. Passports from Theren to Muspar'i? Sure.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/18/2008 09:33 AM CST
>>Counterfeiting just doesn't make sense.

See, here, in DR Time, is where it makes the perfect sense. If you believe in Creating fire from your fingertips, killing giant rock formations with a dagger, and being able to swim out of whirlpool... I think counterfeiting is possible.

I am pretty sure with the right tools and components (Hi Miners), I can create some coins with the right weights and designs as the kronars that are currently available.

I can create fire from nothing, and raise the dead. It is not out of the realm of possibility to carve a kronar mold from a brick of iron.
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/18/2008 10:09 AM CST
I think it's a great idea, I'm just a little leery if we were planning to allow those coins to be passed from PC to PC.

Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: Artistry... Or Forgery? 01/18/2008 11:01 AM CST
>>See, here, in DR Time, is where it makes the perfect sense. If you believe in Creating fire from your fingertips, killing giant rock formations with a dagger, and being able to swim out of whirlpool... I think counterfeiting is possible.

I stand corrected. Good point.