Artistry items 02/07/2014 12:11 AM CST

What would be useful and add some depth to finished painting and drawings is an assortment of frames to choose from. Perhaps foraged wood types could be made into items such as frames, easels, and custom-made paint brushes. Paint brushes could also be made from the hairs of various animals while drawing pens could be made from various feathers. Home-made inks and dyes would be nice as well.
Just thinking out loud, thanx .. Xixist
Re: Artistry items 02/08/2014 07:49 PM CST
I really like the idea of painting being a bigger part of the Artistry system, and the frames and such are a great idea IMO.

It got me thinking about what else I'd like to see, and I think it'd be neat to have it where you could set up an easel in any room in the game and "paint" a generic image based off the room. For instance, if you set up here:
[Gondola, Cab South]
Mottled stains are worked into the wooden floor and seats of this small cab, darkening the windows to a thick black opacity. A spike of chill taints the air, the thinnest strand of some sickly-sweet metallic scent wrapping it.
Also here: a massive hiro bear with dense ruffled fur that is sleeping.
Obvious exits: north.

Your painting might come out something like this:
TAP: An oil painting of the Gondola
LOOK: Rendered in a realist fashion, the canvas details a scene of the Gondola, Cab South, where mottled stains are worked into the wooden floor and seats of this small cab, darkening the windows to a thick black opacity. A spike of chill taints the air, the thinnest strand of some sickly-sweet metallic scent wrapping it. In the foreground is a massive hiro bear with dense ruffled fur that is sleeping. A darkened line weaves abstractly north along the canvas.

I'm not sure every room would look that great, but I think it'd be fun to not only have a way to memorialize your favorite rooms in the game as a player, but also, how fun would it be to wander across character who decked themselves out with the whole paint-splattered clothing and had set up to "paint" out in the wilds somewhere...:)

~Kythryn
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Artistry items 04/01/2014 09:59 PM CDT

In regards to the frames, it would be nice to not only have various looking frames, but also the frames would make it from 'look paper', 'or read paper'to the viewing command 'look drawing', or 'look painting. The artwork's look would always end in one of several generic styled endings. Something similar to wrapped in a (type) frame, or stretched in, or displayed, or ..or.

Thanx for hearing my thoughts .. X
Re: Artistry items 06/27/2015 11:29 PM CDT
All the new woods would be perfect for picture frames. Even for paint brush handles and easles.
X
Re: Artistry items 06/28/2015 10:54 AM CDT
>> What would be useful and add some depth to finished painting and drawings is an assortment of frames to choose from. Perhaps foraged wood types could be made into items such as frames, easels, and custom-made paint brushes. Paint brushes could also be made from the hairs of various animals while drawing pens could be made from various feathers. Home-made inks and dyes would be nice as well.

I love this idea, and I think Kodius has specifically built the various crafting systems in such a way to facilitate the addition of new products. The hair part might be a little tricky, depending on how the harvesting stuff was done behind the scenes, but where there's a will, there's a way.

>> It got me thinking about what else I'd like to see, and I think it'd be neat to have it where you could set up an easel in any room in the game and "paint" a generic image based off the room. For instance...

While this idea is undoubtedly awesome, it is unfortunately bordering on impossible. What you're proposing - the way that you're proposing it - would require literally every room of the game (or at least a lot of them, if it was just done for particularly iconic/scenic locales) to have additional information coded into it. Maddeningly large-scale task. An easier way to accomplish it would be to simply copy the existing room text onto your painting, and possibly include certain items/creatures in the room with a specific verb used during the crafting process, but I think that might be lackluster compared to what you're looking for.

>> how fun would it be to wander across character who decked themselves out with the whole paint-splattered clothing and had set up to "paint" out in the wilds somewhere...:)

I do hope that becomes a thing. Maybe give Artistry a practical application by placing an art gallery in the city where people can go a STUDY pieces that have been produced, and every so often (based on how full the gallery is with paintings) some of them are purchased by NPC benefactors, giving the artist a bit of coin when they visit the gallery next, and opening up a new spot for another artist. Base the sale price on the length of the text of the painting, making rooms with long descriptions more desirable to paint. I dunno; spitballing.

I

Kneebiter Zhunee just arrived.
R>
Zhunee glances around the room and says, "Someone pull my finger."
R>
Kneebiter Zhunee runs west.
Re: Artistry items 06/28/2015 03:04 PM CDT
Kodius was talking about making an interesting "design codex" system which seemed to allow some pretty serious freedom. If this isn't artistry directly, it seems like something that would go immensely well WITH artistry. It would be something else to be able to, say, engrave a room in the game - any particular room - on a shield or something, possibly capturing the full description of the room along with the items and people. From the way he was describing it, I like to imagine this might be possible.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a book of apprentice carving instructions, you are certain that the dire bear is a truly skilled opponent.
Re: Artistry items 06/28/2015 03:06 PM CDT
He was at least talking about carving beads that captured an entire player's look.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a book of apprentice carving instructions, you are certain that the dire bear is a truly skilled opponent.
Re: Artistry items 06/28/2015 03:45 PM CDT
>>possibly capturing the full description of the room along with the items and people. From the way he was describing it, I like to imagine this might be possible.

Due to memory limitations there would have to be a limit on what could be captured.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Artistry items 06/28/2015 05:41 PM CDT
So no:

[Wildulf Woods, Needlenose Creek]
A shallow creek cuts through the forest, lazily rippling and undulating over a bed of rocks and sunken logs. Hundreds of gnats hover and buzz in a cloud along the creek bank, where the ground is hard and smooth, as if trampled by many feet over a long period of time. The brush and trees have been cleared to form a pathway to the south, and a thin column of smoke emanates from somewhere in that direction. You also see a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade, and a steel-alloy rapier with a tempered blade.
Also here: Raetvek, Voice of Justice Croegar, Kleptomaniac Shatteringwave, Bargain Seller Wryhk, Augrenosis, Goon Skullrender, Animal Vrantash, Lifebane, Kudfih and Xintareen.