Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 05:56 PM CST
There is a fairly substantial contingent of people who enjoy really short and succinct descriptions. Short 2-4 line inventory looks generally let the items you want people to see shine through. With that in mind would it be possible for the lower tier Artistry to allow a robust list of (one word) colors to be used to dye existing items:

black
white
green
etc

Example:

some steel-toed footwraps with silver buckles
turn into
some black footwraps

As it stands right now those footwraps can't be dyed at the clans but it would be excellent if most if not all of those kinds of limitations are pulled out with Artistry.

Basic dyes could be the very lowest training patterns for Artistry, with all the cool patterns etc that you guys had in mind being the higher rungs of the skill.

Taking the idea a step further, one of the patterns could be "bleaching" an item

Example:

some steel-toed footwraps with silver buckles
turn into
some footwraps

That would be even more exciting for the minimalists among us.

Thanks for listening!
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 06:32 PM CST
Ye gods and little fishes please yes.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 07:17 PM CST
>>Taking the idea a step further, one of the patterns could be "bleaching" an item

I think all crafted items already work like this without any skill involved. You need to use a cleaning cloth and rub whatever you crafted with it. The options you get are also determined it was tempered/balanced/honed/lightened/reinforced/etc.

You rub the bola with your cloth, bringing out a new aspect of its appearance.
[Now showing appearance 1 - a glaes bola with a balanced design.]

[Now showing appearance 2 - a glaes bola with a tempered head.]

[Now showing appearance 3 - a balanced bola.]

[Now showing appearance 4 - a balanced bola with a tempered head.]

[Now showing appearance 5 - a tempered bola.]

[Now showing appearance 6 - a tempered bola with a balanced design.]

[Now showing appearance 7 - a bola with a balanced design.]

[Now showing appearance 8 - a bola with a tempered head.]

[Now showing appearance 9 - a bola.]

[Now showing appearance 0 - a glaes bola.]

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 07:48 PM CST
My understanding is that this suggestion was for non-crafted items.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 07:54 PM CST
>>My understanding is that this suggestion was for non-crafted items.

My understanding is that, eventually, all items are going to work within the crafting system.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 08:44 PM CST
>>My understanding is that, eventually, all items are going to work within the crafting system.

I doubt that.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 08:50 PM CST
How about an ability to translate any racial items into English?! PLEASE!

GENT
Re: Request for Artistry 01/05/2013 08:55 PM CST
Duraka Skefne -- Long skinny [censored]

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 12:52 AM CST
>>I doubt that.

I don't. My understanding is that there is a goal of having non-crafted items eventually capable of being balanced, honed, tempered, enchanted, "artistry-fied", etc.

Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 01:06 AM CST
>How about an ability to translate any racial items into English?! PLEASE!

Oh that? We've already got that. It's called reading and requires a dictionary. Thankfully, the dictionaries are there and you just need to go out there and read them.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 04:15 PM CST
>>There is a fairly substantial contingent of people who enjoy really short and succinct descriptions.

I am definitely one of these.

I doubt that Artistry will be able to alter non-crafted items, though. Even if technically possible, it seems like there's high potential for abuse (stealing someone's altered sword and wiping out the alteration, for example). I'd still be for it if it's possible though.

If it isn't, I still hope there are lots of "very simple" options available in all crafts, and very simple dye jobs available via Artistry.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 08:30 PM CST
>>Oh that? We've already got that. It's called reading and requires a dictionary. Thankfully, the dictionaries are there and you just need to go out there and read them.

Sarcasm and snark aside, as someone who has tried to do translation stuff, it's not really something one can do easily/on the fly, nor is it always the most IC situation.

Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 08:36 PM CST
>as someone who has tried to do translation stuff

I don't use Genie, but maybe people could start putting together subs to translate those items/titles.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 08:39 PM CST
>>I don't use Genie, but maybe people could start putting together subs to translate those items/titles.

I keep thinking about it, but then I get lazy.

Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 09:47 PM CST
there's already a script for turning words INTO s'kra on elanthipedia. so could just do a "reverse", and then put it in for other languages.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 10:21 PM CST
>How about an ability to translate any racial items into English?! PLEASE!

>>Oh that? We've already got that. It's called reading and requires a dictionary. Thankfully, the dictionaries are there and you just need to go out there and read them.

>Sarcasm and snark aside, as someone who has tried to do translation stuff, it's not really something one can do easily/on the fly, nor is it always the most IC situation.

I understand, however, this discussion always goes down the same road. The horse is dead, Jim. We all come here for something different and are looking for a different experience when we click [PLAY]. Unless there is something new to add, let's just all have glue and be happy.

And now, back to artistry.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Request for Artistry 01/06/2013 11:16 PM CST
>>Unless there is something new to add

recall providing a translation.

Re: Request for Artistry 02/12/2013 12:39 PM CST

>>I think all crafted items already work like this without any skill involved. You need to use a cleaning cloth and rub whatever you crafted with it. The options you get are also determined it was tempered/balanced/honed/lightened/reinforced/etc.

All of the posted examples were for a forged item. Is it also possible to change the description of tailored gear? If so, is it done the same way?
Re: Request for Artistry 02/12/2013 12:51 PM CST
>>All of the posted examples were for a forged item. Is it also possible to change the description of tailored gear? If so, is it done the same way?

Yes.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh