Art for arts sake 08/01/2012 02:19 AM CDT

My hopes and expectations for this lore are based on it's construction to be completly modeled after the other craft systems. That is, structured into three disciplins with various techniques in each and numerous designs in each technique.

That being said, one can imagine the three disciplins being DRAWING, PAINTING, and TOLL.
Techniques for drawing might include sketching, life drawing, scrimshaw, cartography, and drafting.
Techniques for painting might include scenic, portrait, mural, and advertizement, and pigments.
Techniques for toll, (painting objects), could be tattoo, body paint, statuary, masks, and equipment.

Design instructions for DRAWING might include;
SKETCHING- Teaches designs in charcoal, pen, scenery, objects, and still life on paper that includes sketchbooks, blank scrolls, and oragami paper.
LIFE DRAWING- Teaches designs in animals, people, interactions, and adventurer sketches (Can draw your friend).
SCRIMSHAW- Teaches designs in stone, bone, Ivory, and Styles.
CARTOGRAPHY- Teaches designs in urban maps, wilderness maps, sea maps, and treasure maps (auto locations with image and clue directions).
DRAFTING- Teaches designs in items and structures (for workorders). Draftings could be needed by other crafts as an ingredient to certain projects.

Design instructions for PAINTING might include;
SCENIC- Teaches designs in backgrounds, landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes on flat surfaces.
PORTRAIT- Teaches designs in animals, people, interactions, and adventurer paintings (can paint your friend).
MURAL- Teaches designs in large area paintings (work orders), and home murals.
ADVERTIZEMENT- Teaches designs in outdoor signs (for hire by traders. signs fade in rain), invitations, and posters. (work orders)
PIGMENTS- Teaches abilities in watercolor paint, acrylic paint, oil paint, enchanted paint, gilt, brush selection and maintenance.

Design instruction for TOLL might include;
TATTOO- Teaches designs in skin art, henna, body painting
STATUARY- Teaches designs in images on statues, manaquins, masks,and structures, (work orders).
EQUIPMENT- Teaches designs in caravans, hilts, containers, and horses (washes off).

Anyhow.. im probably wrong

Re: Art for arts sake 08/01/2012 03:11 AM CDT
Nice list, sounds like a fun skill!
Re: Art for arts sake 08/01/2012 02:56 PM CDT
Interesting idea, but I think you're concentrating too much on painting.

You haven't left room for etching, sculpting, gem setting, and a variety of other things.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Art for arts sake 08/01/2012 06:29 PM CDT

This was under the assumption that 3-D art would fit under other catagories such as tinkering, carving, and what not. Im sure the system designers have the basic platforms down already but Its never too late to squeeze in a little more art.
I cant wait to paint T'Kiel in the nude. ...No, her in the nude, not me!

Xixist

Re: Art for arts sake 08/01/2012 06:44 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure Animal/Humanoid/Life sculptures under Carving is exactly what, well, sculptures are intended to fall under.

I'm also willing to wager Artistry is meant to cover painting, embellishing, metal detailing, scrimshaw, etc.

Given the scope and demand of the game I don't think there's need to divide these sub disciplines any further but could definitely appreciate more brainstorming to flesh out those areas.

(random greedy note: Would those of us who already have permanent exhibits to our name at places such as Raven's court get flat boost to Prestige in Artistry/Carving as appropriate? :X)