Tuesday Tidings - 42 - Numerical Toggle for Comparing Weapons, Shields, and Armor 12/08/2020 09:33 PM CST
Happy Tuesday, everyone!

I chose the project this week, and Zadraes provided guidance on implementation.

As part of the ongoing project to help players make sense of stat scales by adding optional numerical toggles, we have expanded the existing TOGGLE APPRAISAL setting to cover use of COMPARE on weapons, shields, and armor. When this toggle is enabled, you will see the ± scale alongside verbal descriptions. 0 (about the same as) is the baseline, with a +1 or -1 for each step above or below.

For example:
You are certain that the quest greatsword is a lot stronger than (+6) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword is a lot less balanced than (-5) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword is far more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than (+9) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword does about as much puncture damage as (0) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword does far more slice damage than (+9) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword does far more impact damage than (+7) the storebought greatsword.
You are certain that the quest greatsword weighs quite a bit more than (150%) the storebought greatsword.

As with all other such releases, no stats on items have been changed.

While the verbal descriptions have not changed, an additional benefit of this release is the toggle increases granularity of comparisons. For those who are curious, see my follow-up post: https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Appraisal%20Skill/view/1116

GM Cordulia
RE: Tuesday Tidings 42 12/09/2020 07:51 PM CST

I just am curious as to why you folks behind the scenes make everything more complicated than it already is, even when trying to make things easier?

I mean, in all honesty, would it not just have made sense to have the weight difference in stones? Why the A is 37% lighter than B?? Why not just have A is 17 stones lighter than B? I mean really. Im very happy overall on this new feature, it will help TREMENDOUSLY.. but it just seems you folks always need to make at least 1 thing more complicated than it really needs to be. Its not a complaint, more of just an abject observation and the wondering of why?

I mean if im already getting certain appraisals on weight, wouldnt i then get certain differences? Why then do i need to calculate what 37% of 51 stones is? Shouldnt i know right off the bat, that item A is 32 stones and item B is 51 stones therefore the difference is 19 stones?

I know you understand what im saying, and i hope you understand it is not meant in any way to belittle or diminish what you guys do behind the scenes.

"You can have anything the world offers, so long as you have the strength to take it, the skill to steal it or the nerve to kill for it."

Dusk, Chosen of Damaris
RE: Tuesday Tidings - 42 - Numerical Toggle for Comparing Weapons, Shields, and Armor 12/09/2020 10:10 PM CST
>>DARKCAT: I mean, in all honesty, would it not just have made sense to have the weight difference in stones? Why the A is 37% lighter than B??

Because that is how the weight comparison originally worked -- changing it to show a raw difference in stones would have required a rewrite of weight comparisons, which is beyond the intended scope of this release (to add a numerical component to the existing output).

(The quoted post was moved from Discussions with DragonRealms Staff and Players / Responses to GM/Official Announcements.)

GM Cordulia