Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/23/2018 07:25 PM CST
Some of these requests are ones I've made before. Some are new. I am consolidating them into one post to make it easier on GMs.

Thank you for your consideration.

Ranged Weapons and Load Times

It would be extremely helpful (both for wiki documentation and for players generally) if appraising a sling, bow, or crossbow showed its base load time.

Currently, the only way to get this information is to purchase an item and load it yourself.

Worn Shields

It would be helpful to players (since they usually wear shields) to see a second line for worn shield appraisals. Perhaps something like:

You are certain that the shield offers good to incredible protection but that when worn on the arm, it would only offer good to exceptional protection.

OR

You are certain that the shield offers good to incredible protection when held.

You are certain that the shield offers good to exceptional protection when worn on the arm.

Currency for Coin Values

Non-Traders currently see only the local currency when they appraise. This causes problems for people documenting quest or festival merchandise for Elanthipedia, since they are often appraised in Lirums or Dokoras, while the wiki uses Kronars.

It's possible to accurately convert from Lirums to Kronars (by multiplying by 1.25). However, due to oddities with integer math, there is no way to 100% accurately convert all Dokora appraisals to Kronar appraisals. See http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Appraisal%20Skill/view/1007

Solution: All items appraise in Kronars regardless of your location. If this is not feasible, adapt the Trader method of seeing all three currencies.

Note: I am aware that seeing all three currencies is currently a Trader perk. However, there is some precedent for making appraisal data available to all guilds, at least with enough skill. (For example, the more nuanced shield protection scale used to be available only to Paladins, but now anyone with enough ranks can see it.)

Hair-Worn Items

For hair-worn items, it would be nice to have the appraisal differentiate between those that are worn "tied to the hair" and items worn "placed in the hair"? These are distinct slots, as shown in INV SLOTS:

Items worn tied to the hair: 0/1
Items worn placed in the hair: 0/1

However, they both appraise as, "It appears that the [short name] can be worn in the hair."

Currently, the only way to test which slot is used is to purchase the item, type INV SLOTS, wear it, and type INV SLOTS to see which changed.

original post: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Appraisal%20Skill/view/1063

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/23/2018 10:03 PM CST
Love all these ideas.
Re: Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/23/2018 11:07 PM CST
All these are great, and I agree 100% with the Kronar one for the sake of epedia archiving.

Two others I'd love to see:

Tie Appraising Armor Durability to Appraisal (Not Armor Skill)
With 600+ appraisal, I am able to get certain on every weapon or armor's stats, with the exception of plate armor's durability, because I have only 30 ranks of plate armor. It's just really weird that knowing an armor's durability is tied to armor skill. I can tell how good a large blunt is despite having 6 ranks of it.

Add the Number Values to the Game Itself
I think this was started at one point, but understandably other projects too priority. I think this would be great for new players in particular, just so they have some concept of how something rates in the grander scale of things. And most senior players are already using subs to display this information on their own end, which to me is a sign that the game should just adopt it directly.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/23/2018 11:21 PM CST

> Add the Number Values to the Game Itself

You know, I think it's time to do this too. You have exp rp, but it's optional. You have exp mods now. Most people have substitutes because it's easier to read. Let's just let someone toggle numbers to see all numbers if that's how they want to play the game, even if it requires a certain level of appraisal to do successfully.
Re: Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/24/2018 03:05 AM CST
>>Teveshszat: I think this was started at one point, but understandably other projects too priority. I think this would be great for new players in particular, just so they have some concept of how something rates in the grander scale of things. And most senior players are already using subs to display this information on their own end, which to me is a sign that the game should just adopt it directly.

I'd really like to see the Trader's Scale expanded to weapon and armor stats, where there is both a number for playability and an "RP" label that people can discuss on IC channels.

The flamberge is made with metal.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a quality of 99, placing it at 'extremely pure' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a hardness of 99, placing it at 'absurdly hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a durability of 80, placing it at 'great durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a workability of 40, placing it at 'somewhat challenging to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has an electrical resistance of 70, placing it at 'not a very good conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a thermal resistance of 70, placing it at 'not very good at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a physical resistance of 99, placing it at 'incredibly good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the flamberge has a ductility of 40, placing it at 'somewhat ductile' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the flamberge weighs exactly 125 stones.
You are certain that the flamberge is worth exactly 2658218 Kronars.
The flamberge looks to bear your familiar marks of registration.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Appraisal QoL Suggestions (Pretty Please?) 01/24/2018 07:02 AM CST
> Add the Number Values to the Game Itself
> I'd really like to see the Trader's Scale expanded to weapon and armor stats

This sounds excellent. I like the idea of keeping both available. Don't forget analyze and mana levels when this happens.

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh